Rotary Club of Cober Valley Helston
Home | Fellowship
President Steve welcomed club members
Birthday wishes to Lasse 8th & Barbara 9th
Thought for the day Francis
A young man knows the rules and an old man knows the exceptions.
· The club had received notification for nominations to DGN & District Officer positions for 2012/13. No club members expressed an interest at this current time.
· Interact Jo, Paula & Bryn had been along to the presentation evening and all had been very impressed. The recommended CVH involvement but as all the ground work has been done by Mick Timpson of Helston Club. As Mick has health problems at Jo has been in touch to see if our club can help in anyway. It would be nice to have 2 clubs involved in something of this nature. Jo will report back when she hears from Mick. Helston- Lizard are thinking of approaching Mullion School
· New members evening follow up. Caroline Hemsworth, Rob & Annie John had all now expressed an interest in joining and are proposed as new members. Sue will get membership forms to them. Ian suggested another new members evening in January and asked members to continue to look for potential contacts. Steve then passed on Derrick's notification of resignation from the club. He will bring Derrick's letter for reading next week.
· Bikes for Africa, the bike collection had gone very well with nearly 150 bikes collected of which about 110-120 will be suitable for JoLe Rider. We also collected about £500 but this still left a shortfall of the £10 per bike needed. Steve had already spoken to Andy Kirk from Helston-Lizard & Mick Timpson from Helston and the outcome from this was that the 2 clubs had agreed financial support of £200 & £175. George was also looking in to District Simplified Grants and would meeting David Jones to discuss this further. George will also attend the District Council to put forward the initiative and ask for support from other clubs in 1290. Publicity had been very good and we will have coverage in West Briton, Packet & Advertiser, we had also been mentioned on Radio Cornwall Monday afternoon. Wendy will aim for some further coverage around the support from other clubs and possible grant.
- Cadet Corps - Tom had opened talks but had not yet held a formal meeting. He would do so along with John Leach.
- Lady Nott club support of website build. Paul proposed the club put up £200 to enable him to build a website for her charity, this was supported by George & Steve and agreed on a majority vote.
- Dog Walk Jo asked for a reminder of who the subcommittee is Wendy, Carol K, Paul, Suzie & Rachael.
- Carol K thanked the club for welcoming April Scott last week, April had been really happy that the club had decided to support the Children's Centre. Bryn had already followed up on the clubs behalf. George also mentioned he had asked April if any of her volunteers or staff would be interested in RYLA. Carol agreed to follow up on this.
- Paula told members about the celebrations held on Friday for the completion of the Citizen for Life initiative. A well supported event where all the youngsters involved made a presentation to mentors and supporters from along the 12 months. The students had all gained so much from this year and now plans are in place to go forward with a new set of students. Funding was in place so it was hoped Rotary could be involved again as it was a brilliant partnership.
- Curry Night those who had attended reported, good food, nice drinks and excellent company.
'Citizenship for Life Programme'