Rotary Club of Cober Valley Helston
Home | Fellowship
President Steve welcomed club members
Happy Birthday to Steve for 27th and to our DG Maxine.
Congratulations to Rob Johns who will be collecting his OBE for Service to Industry from the Queen next week.
Thought for the day Jo
Today would have been the birthday of Groucho Marx who was born in 1890. Well known for quotes that upset others here are 4 of his funniest:
- I sent the club a wire stating 'Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to a club that will accept me as a member
- He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot
- Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. There's no doubt about it, anytime you have an affair your wife is bound to interfere
- Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men, the other 999 follow women.
- Surf Action we have received an email from this charity who help combat veterans and their families by using surfing and beach environment to help them escape barriers and regain confidence. They are asking us to consider them as a worthy cause for fund raising in 2012 and also offered to come along and speak to us. Sue was asked to invite them to speak early next year.
- Drive in Cornwall Sue was asked to attach full email to this report.
- Carol K mentioned an article in the magazine of the NAHT that focussed on Shelterbox which was being well received and promoted in schools.
- Interact Jo had now heard from Mick Timpson and was hopeful that we will be involved.
- Youth Speaks Carol L explained where the club is at with the plans for this. Parc Eglos had now responded favourably. Hilary was asked to try Godolphin and also offered to ask Sithney. Carol had informed the other Helston clubs of our plans and H-L informed her of their hopes to link with Wendron School but hoped to confirm we can approach them too. Carol explained some of the items we will need to help us run this initiative. Stop Watches, green/amber/red light box and of course a judging panel.
- Steve told club about a breakfast meeting he had attended where speakers were from Citizenship for Life. He had been very impressed by the young man speaking and had asked him and his family to come and join us one evening to speak to the club.
- Ian has been in touch with Helston & Helston Lizard about the Cyprus Matched Funding mentioned last week. He had heard back from H-L who are quite keen and will come back to us after their club have made a decision. No response as yet from Helston.
- Ian then talked about how our donations so far were balancing out between local and international. At present it was roughly 43% international and 57% local but this could change quite a bit with the addition of Bikes for Africa and the Cyprus Initiative. Becky pointed out that it wasn't a clear cut picture because without the Bikes for Africa event we would not have had the large donation nor the funds given at Sainsburys. To balance this out we could perhaps look at arranging an event specifically for a local charity.
- Ian had balanced the accounts and at the present time we do not have any funds available to give away.
- Poldark Book Stall - 3 / 4 December was mentioned. Hilary is happy to coordinate this, Carol will pass on details to Hilary and Sue was asked to get members to let us know who is available and set up a doodle for this.
- BF Adventure Party everything in hand. Starts at 10.30, 25 in total attending. Everything covered but unfortunately funds won't stretch to feeding helpers from the club. If helpers would like to eat lunch please let Carol L know so that she can order it for you cost £11 each.
- Subs 2nd half year of subs for those paying in two instalments is now due
· Saturday 2nd June 2012 when the Rotary Club of Truro will be holding its 90th Charter Dinner at The Falmouth Beach Hotel. More details will be available near the time.
· 103rd annual RI Convention, 6-9 May 2012, in Bangkok, Thailand, Land of a ThousandSmiles
· Special General Meeting if anyone would like to put anyone forward please ask them first.
· Sausage & Mash any more guests please add them to doodle as soon as possible. Some members were asked to bring along desserts
· George passed on wishes from Paul and Paula who had been to see their son Sam off at Heathrow he was off to Canada for a few months to be a snow board instructor.
· Sue passed on John Musgrave's apologies, he had been planning to join us but unfortunately had no transport.
· Ian mentioned next new members evening would be 18th January if any members had any suggestions of people to invite please pass on to Ian or just invite them along
· Jo mentioned the sub committee for the Dog Walk/Show event was meeting tonight following club meeting and members were welcome to stay behind and join in if they wished.
'To people flying to far flung lands' safe trip to Sam