IRONBRIDGE ROTARY CLUB - MAKING A DIFFERENCE
The Rotary Club of Ironbridge is dedicated to making a difference locally and internationally.
Some key achievments of the club in recent years are listed below.
- In 2012 the club donated over 6000 to 25 charitable organisations, locally, nationally and internationally. In addition to this, as one of the clubs involved in the Telford Tree of Light, our share went to "Tickwood Hall" a newly formed organisation helping children with learning disabilities.
- In 2005, 3000 was donated to the Severn Hospice and 3300 to the Lady Forrester Day Care Centre.
- In 2006 we organised a Town Centre Concert and helped the ABDABS band on their way to New York with 3000 being raised.
- In 2007 we handed over a cheque to Southall School for 3900 for the installation of a Sensory Room.
- In 2007 & 2008 we supported a young lady, Donna Loakes, by raising money to help pay for Donnas university accommodation
- In 2005 we quickly arranged a collection in Telford Town Centre in response to the Tsunami in Thailand and the club donated 7000.
- In 2009 we raised $25,000 through a Rotary matching grant to supply essential equipment to the Lar Da Crianca Santo Estevao day care centre in Brazil. This institution now takes care of 58 children.
In 2010, we launched a local appeal for bikes for shipment to the Gambia in support of the Bikes4Africa appeal with a target of 50 bikes. we passed the target easily within the first week, eventually reaching 100 bikes. A second appeal was then mounted to raise donations to contribute towards the shipping costs and 605 was collected through public donations.
In 2011, in conjunction with local Primary Schools we organised the planting of 2,000 crocus bulbs as part of the Focus on the Crocus Polio Eradication campaign as well as raising the pupils awareness of the effects of Polio we raised 380 which was donated to District Foundation.
March 2011, we held two tin shaking sessions for the Japanese Disaster Appeal. Undertaken with other local clubs we raised a total of 3,350 which was sent to the Salvation Army Japanese Disaster Appeal.
In addition the club has been continuously involved in:-
Health Awareness days
Tent collections following the V Festival
Telford Tree of Light