Rotary Club of Wensleydale
Home | International Projects
Shelterboxes provide emergency shelter and lifesaving supplies for families around the world. Theydeliver the essentials a family needs to survive in the immediate aftermath of a disaster. Each large, green ShelterBox is tailored to a disaster but typically contains a disaster relief tent for an extended family, blankets, water storage and purification equipment, cooking utensils, a stove, a basic tool kit, a children's activity pack and other vital items. At the present time a Shelter Box costs approx £550 each, which includes the cost of transportation to the disaster area.
Each year Wensleydale Rotary Club send funds to fund as many Shelterboxes as funds will allow, raising the money from events such as our tombola stall at Wensleydale Agricultural Show and from individual donations. Funds are forwarded to the Rotary organisation for Shelterboxes who arrange for their delivery to disaster areas where a current need exists.
More information about Shelterboxes is available at http://www.shelterbox.org
To donate to our Shelterbox Appeal please click here
" The need for safe drinking water is denied to many people in this world. Every 15 seconds a child will die as a result of drinking unsafe water."
What are Lifestraws?
Lifestraws are devices which enable users to obtain safe drinking water from unsafe/ polluted water. LifeStraw requires no electrical power or spare parts. Two types are used, i.e
is a portable water purifier. It can be carried around for easy access to safe and clean drinking water. It is just 25 cm long and 29 mm in diameter and can be hung around the neck.
This will filter up to 18,000 litres of water, enough to supply a family of five with microbiologically clean drinking water for three years, thus removing the need for repeat intervention. Ensures high flow rate and high volume of purified water. This model has an easy-to-clean prefilter and purification cartridge
- Complies with US Environmental Protection Agency 1987 Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers:
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)*
- Removes minimum 99.99% of viruses (>LOG 4 reduction)*
- Removes minimum 99.9% of protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)*
- Removes turbidity
- Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- All raw materials are US Food and Drug Administration compliant or equivalent
- Wensleydale Tools Change Lives
- Pupils report on visit to Amala school in India
- Unwanted Books, pens, pencils,games, skipping ropes,toys for The Gambia
- Appeal (now closed) for Unwanted Tools for Mwanza, Tanzania
- Round the world cyclists visit Wensleydale
- Rotary Team arrives at Nepalese schools
- Collect Yorkshire Tea Barcodes for Wheelchairs
- Nepal Schools Computerisation Project
- Friends of Govi overland to Gambia
- Friends of Govi Press Release
- ShelterBox Roadshow visits Leyburn