THE INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE 2017 - 2018
The International Committee for 2017 - 2018 actions are -
- Sponsor a teacher for a further year at The David School, Sierra Leone.
- David School food project: This is a special response, post Ebola, with specific fundraising events, to contribute to the interim provision of school meals.
- Sand Dams: Collaborative project with the Rotary Club of St Ives and others in construction of Sand Dams close to remote rural communities in Kenya to provide a source of clean water.
- Hope and Homes - unlocking futures: helping orphans in Romania to transition to independent living as young adults.
- Lendwithcare: contributing to a micrro-loan initiative supporting small businesses in developing countries.
- Kenyan School Farm Project: The project is organised by Grantham Kesteven RC in conjunction with the Meru RC of Kenya and will establish 18 small irrigated farms near Special Schools in the Meru district of Kenya. We hope to contribute to the final £3,000 needed to secure a Global Grant. Around £200 has already been raised from a range of sources, including £75 from the recent Club collection.
- Working across committees and with local partners (Ramsey Garden Club, Blooms Group, Town and Village Councils, Schools, Mortuary Chapels etc) to raise funds for and awareness of the work Rotary is doing to help eradicate polio throughout the world. In particular, a 'Purple4Polio' partnership with the Horticultural Society saw the planting of 10,000 purple crocus corms across Ramsey and the villages, in partnership with a variety of local groups.