Community & Vocational

Information and updates from our Community & Vocational Committee

Show related pages

The Community & Vocational Committee arranges events in the local community. These include the annual Christmas market, Christmas Eve carol service and the Senior Citizens' Meal when residents in various homes around the town are entertained and given a lunch. A major event is the family fun day held in the Public Park each August.

10 November 2015

[a] Patricia reported that 15 stands were now coming to the Christmas Market on Saturday, 28th November, 2015. The electricity was still a problem, but it was hoped this would be sorted out soon.

[b] The Clelland Trophy for the Xmas window competition would be ‘recovered’ for this years’ event.

[c] Santa’s Sleigh and Santa have again been booked for this period. Tweedbank School Parent Council have again asked if we could take the sleigh round Tweedbank on 9th December, 2015. There has been no further information on whether it will be going to Langlee. Witherspoons have asked if we could supply a Santa or a Santa suit for their premises for a charity collection. Council felt that would not be appropriate.

19 May 2015

[a]  John Gray informed the Club that he was still looking for suitable premises to run a Charity Shop.   He had found one in Bank Street, but this would cost a rent of £175.00, which might be worth considering, if somewhere else could not be found.

             [b]  Rae had intimated that arrangements for our Charity Golf competition at Torwoodlee on  Sunday, 14th June, 2015 were in hand and entries were starting to come in.   He asked if Club members could suggest any potential teams or businesses who could sponsor holes.   He would be handing out raffle tickets, possibly next week for members to sell [or buy] and was obviously be looking for raffle prizes on the day.   He was also looking for a lot of help to run the event and would put out a list next week.

             [c]  Patricia reported that the Family Fun Day would take place on 23rd August, 2015 [Sunday ?] and this would give us time to inform school pupils of the potted sports at the event.

21 April 2015

[a] Patricia had left a report to the effect that we hosted the Senior Citizen’s Lunch at Netherdale on Monday, 13th April, 2015. This was attended by over 80 people from our local community who reside in sheltered housing. The soup and pudding was supplied by Dalgettys and found to be very tasty and enjoyed by everyone. The event was rounded off by a cup of tea or coffee and shortbread, followed by great entertainment on the accordion by Jimmy Gold. Everyone was delighted to receive a raffle prize before being driven to their respective homes. Many thanks to everyone who supplied these prizes and to everyone from the Club who helped on the day. Thanks also to Gala Wheels for
supplying the transport and the members of Inner Wheel who helped on the day. A big thanks should also go to Valerie Gray for her considerable stint in the kitchen and to John Gray, assisted
by Patricia in their role as dance instructors/prompters.!!! In all this was a very successful day, enjoyed by all.
[b] The Committee are still looking to run a Charity shop, commencing the week of 14th May, but suitable premises have still to be found. John Gray has been in touch with the landlords with many of the empty shops to no avail. One has been offered for three months, but we feel this in too long a period with insurance implications. Will keep trying.
[c] Rae had intimated that arrangments are being made for our Charity Golf competition at Torwoodlee on Sunday, 14th June, 2015. He has been in touch with Borders General Hospital and they have suggested that our fund raising from this event could be to the ‘Play for Life’ project, which intends to supply I-Pods to Dementia patients, so that they can play music of their own preference which would be supplied by relatives or friends. The Club agreed the majority of the cash raised go to this cause. .
[d] Peter reported that The Marie Curie Daffodil Walk had taken place on 29th March. Patricia, Elizabeth and Tom had attended and helped with marshalling etc. and the ladies from |Inner Wheel supplied their usual crepes. Peter also attended with a bouncy castle. I all they had raised about $1000.00.
[e] Patricia wondered if the Club were proposing to have a Family Fun Day in August and the Club felt that this would be a good idea and hoped the weather would be suitable.

17 March 2015

        [a]   Patricia mentioned how disappointing it was to cancel the Mother’s Day Lunch due to the lack of numbers. The caterer had been contacted and understood, and also happy to help out with future events. It was mentioned that there was probably other family events on the same day.

            [c]    The Senior Citizen’s Lunch is on 13th April, 2015 at Netherdale at 12.30pm.

                    Dalgettys have offered to supply soup (two varieties) and a dessert for 80 people at a cost of £96. Bread rolls a further .14p each. The Club felt this was a good price and additional costs would be the custard and tea/coffee afterwards – this is still to be added.

                   John Gray is checking the Club for crockery etc and to report back. – We may have to hire in crockery this will be advised.

                   Numbers at the moment are 67 to attend the meal, with two sheltered housing still to get back to us.

                   Entertainment is Jimmy Gold at a cost of £65

                   The Transport is still to be arranged, and the times to be organised to pick up the senior citizens with assistance from Rotary Members also. 

            [d]   The Committee are looking to run a Charity shop in May the proposed dates are w/c 14th may but this is still to be finalised.   Suitable premises have still to be found and any suggestions from members would be welcome.

            [e]   Regarding the Golf as Rae was not present a reminder from the last he mentioned wishes to know what Hospital Department or Funds should benefit this year.

           (f)   The Marie curie Daffodil Walk is on the 29th March and they are looking for 4 volunteers  -so far Patricia, Elizabeth and Tom will help. Peter will be there with his bouncy castle along with Inner Wheel with crepes.

17 February 2015

        [a]   Patricia hoped to attend a meeting with the Galashiels Events Committee this week and discuss the recent Christmas Market and Parade.   

            [b]   The Mothers Day Charity Lunch scheduled for Sunday, 15th March, 2015, but so far only 13 have indicated that they will attend.   Obviously this number would not make the event viable and Patricia asks if  members and friends who intend to go, but have not put their name down, please do so as soon as possible so that arrangement can be made with the caterers, etc.   Tom will also advertise the event on Facebook as this was successful last year.

            [c]    It is also intended to hold the Senior Citizens Lunch on 13th April, 2015.

            [d]   The Committee are looking to run a Charity shop in May, but this is still to be finalised.   Suitable premises have still to be found and any suggestions from members would be welcome.

            [e]   Rae intimated that the date on the Torwoodlee Fixture Card for our Charity Golf competition is Sunday, 14th June, 2015.   In the past it has cost us 10.00 per team, but this has gone up to 20.00 per team for this year.   Obviously, Rae requests help in trying to obtain sponsors for Sponsored  Holes and as many Teams as possible and also wishes to know what Hospital Department or Funds should benefit this year.

20 January 2015

[a] Patricia asked that a huge thank you be recorded to all the Committee and Members for all their help at the Christmas Market, from setting up and taking down the stalls and to the day spent serving on them. Also a huge thanks to Santa Alastair for all his work. It was felt by all that this was a very successful day and greatly appreciated by the public. There were some problems with the parade to the Scott Park, but these should be ironed out at a meeting with the Galashiels Events Committee.
[b] A Christmas Best Shop Window competition was arranged and this too was very successful, with 24 shops taking part. Thanks to Norman and Mrs.Romanis for judging the competition. The trophy had been resurrected through John Gray and was presented to the winner, Edelwiess, the Florist in Park Street.
[c] The Santas Sleigh visit round Tweedbank also proved very successful and again thanks to Santa Alastair and his Little Helpers.
[d] The Mothers Day Charity Lunch has been arranged for Sunday, 15th March, 2015.
[e] It is also intended to hold the Senior Citizens Lunch on 13th April, 2015.

14 October 2014

[a]   Patricia said that she had had a meeting with her Committee that night and can confirm that the Santas Sleigh Ride and Christmas Market will take place on Saturday, 29th November, 2014.   A Market Operators Licence costing 70.00 will be required and Council agreed to this.   This will be re-couped from site fees for the stall holders.   The Gala Events Group will also be involved in this.

            [b]   We could be a little thin on the ground, as this is the same day as the Tesco Collection, although this will take place on Sunday, 30th November, 2014 as well.

            [c]    Patricia hopes to have a full page advert in the Gala  Life Magazine advertising all the events.

            [e]    It is also hoped to run a Christmas Window Competition.   This has not taken place for a number of years and there is an excellent trophy for the winner, which John Gray showed to Council tonight.

            [f]    Tweedbank Community Council asked if we could run Santas Sleigh there again this year.   It is hoped this will take place on Wednesday, 10th December, 2014.

            [g]    John Millar expressed his concerns about the Bottle Top Collection and whether Rotary could continue to run it.   Out of the nine volunteers the other night, only one was a Rotarian.   In view of this, perhaps we should be looking at partner organisation. 

 

8 July 2014

        [a]   Rae reported that almost 1600.00 had been raised from the Charity Glof Event at Torwoodlee on 22nd June, 2014.   Rae also went on to thank everyone who had helped to make this a success, from entering teams, sponsoring holes and buying and selling raffle tickets.   The small raffle held at the Club on the day cleared an amazing 151.00.   A cheque for 1200.00 had been presented to the Childrens Ward at the BGH, at last weeks meeting. 

         [b]    A cheque for 200.00 had been handed over to Mens Shed Group at Easter Langlee by Elizabeth and William at their opening day last week.

         [c]    John Baxter from Kelso had been in touch asking for help with the wrist band project at the Border Union Show on Friday/Saturday, 25th/26th July, 2014.  [This has since been superceded in a message from John that they have sufficient volunteers].

         [d]    The Melrose Pipe Band Championships are taking place on Saturday, 2nd August, 2014 and s sheet is on the board looking for volunteers to assist as usual.   It should also be noted that the Family Fun Day is taking place on Saturday, 18th August, 2014 and plenty of help will be required.

10 June 2014

[a]   R[a]  Rae reported that  all but two of the original 14 teams have entered the posponed event at Torwoodlee on Sunday, 22nd June, 2014.   However, it would appear that another six teams have entered.   One of the teams which had to pull out, has asked for its money back and Rae will arrange for them to be reimbursed.    Rae is hoping to hold a small raffle on the day, but does not require any raffle prizes.   Hopefully, the weather will be kinder on the day

         [b]    Contact had been made by the Mens Shed Group at Easter Langlee stating that they had had an unexpected expense and wondered if Rotary would consider donating 200.00 to cover this.

         [c]    Tom has had an approach from Councillor Bill White, wondering if the Rotary Club would consider donating a bench for the new pedestrian area in Cornmill Square, Galashiels.   Council felt that a bench in keeping with the area could be at a considerable expense and felt that this matter should be looked into further.

         [d]    John Gray pointed out that there was a Rotary bench in the area of Glenfield Court which could perhaps do with some care and attention.

17 May 2014

      Rae reported that teams were now coming in for the Rotary Golf Charity Day on Sunday, 25th May, 2014 and by Saturday, 17th, ten teams had entered and five holes had been sponsored.   A form had been sent out asking for the usual help on the day with the various jobs from first thing in the morning until the presentation of prizes about 8pm in the Clubhouse.   He had one nearest the hole prize, with another promised, but needed one more.   He is also looking for the usual raffle prizes to make a decent draw and of course, the stubs from tickets he had sent out to members.  Rae has still to locate the banners to put up in the morning and the heavy short handled hammer which he appears to have lost since years event.   All that is now required is good weather on the day to go with the good food in the Clubhouse.

11 February 2014

Duncan  reported that

[a]   There has been no response , so far, from Tescos on whether they will allow the Club to hold the Blood Pressure Awareness day on their premises.

[b]   The caterer has been contacted regarding the Charity Lunch on Sunday, 30th March, 2014.

[c]   In respect of the Senior Citizens Lunch on Monday, 14th April, 2014, Duncan has made contact witj Gala Wheels and they are making all three of their vehicles available for the event.   A sheet will be put round soon, looking for helpers on the day, etc.

[d]   John Gray intimated that the Gala Community Events Group were very grateful to the Rotary Club for putting on the Santas Sleigh Ride round the streets in Galashiels and for setting up stalls in Channel Street at such short notice and wondered if we would be in a position to help them with future events.  [Rae has since received a letter from this group along the same lines, which will be circulated round the Club]

[e]   John also asked if he could perhaps approach Tescos regarding a possible litter pick around the back entrance to their premises opposite the old college lodge off Market Street.   Tesco can apparently sponsor environmental projects and John thinks this would fit the criteria and at the same time could be listed as a Rotary Environmental project.   [Rae has seen this area as well and it is horrendous and very visible from the street].

[f]    Isobel has been in touch with Sheila Scott regarding the presentation of a cheque to the Lavender Touch.

8 October 2013

a] Duncan reported that the Roland Boland charity walk has been rescheduled for Friday the 25th of October, 2013.

[b] There will be a Community Fun Event in Galashiels on Saturday, 30th of November, 2013. it was confirmed we can have Santas sleigh from the Lauderdale Club and Jim Pate volunteered to collect the sleigh.

 

10 September 2013

[a]   Duncan reported that the Family Fun Day at the Public Park was a great success and raised about 400.00.   Council wished to record its appreciation to Patricia for her  excellent organisation of this event.   It only downside, apart form the unfortunate accident to Irene, was that one of the tables supplied by the ATC and which had come from RAF Leuchars, had disappeared.   Duncan feels that if the ATC are held responsible for this loss, then the Club should step in and offer to compensate them.

[b]   There appears to be plenty of support from the Club to help with Selkirk Vintage Car Rally and John read out the duties to members tonight.

[c]   Rae reported that he had sent a letter to Torwoodlee Golf Club asking for a date for next years Charity Golf Competition.  

[d]   Duncan wondered if the Club would support a vocational visit to the Glenkinchie Distillary, which had  done in the distant past.

[e]   John Gray informed Council that  the Galashiels Chamber of Trade? is holding an event in the centre of Galashiels on Saturday, 30th November, 2013 and wondered if the Club wanted to play a part.   It may be an opportunity to use the Lauder Sleigh.

9 July 2013

[a] It would appear that the Braw Lads Sports on Sunday, 23rd June, 2013, which was cancelled just after they had started, due to weather and Dave had been told that they had only broken even. The Club were due to receive 500.00 for their work on the gates and Dave wondered if we should take a lesser fee to help them out. Council decided that we should look into this further, before making a decision.
[b] Duncan reported that he, Drew and John were meeting Melrose Rotary Club members next week to finalise what is required at Melrose Pipe Band Championships.
[c] Duncan also intimated that he was again looking for items for the Food bank and the items most required were cereals, jam, pasta sauce, long life milk, tinned potatoes and meatballs, with tinned tuna as an optional extra. Duncan will explain how the food bank works at Club night.
[d] Duncan also reported that Patricia is progressing well with the Family Fun Day in the Public Park on Sunday, 18th August, 2013. However, it was felt that this would be an excellent opportunity to promote Rotary and perhaps encourage new members and wondered if the Club and Membership Committee would run a stall/stand to this end.

10 June 2013

[a]   It has been confirmed that the Club has been asked to help at the Braw Lads Sports on Sunday, 23rd June, 2013 for which the Club will receive 500.00.   A list, asking for volunteers, has been issued.

[b]   Rae reported that 21 teams had taken part in our Charity Golf Competition on Sunday, 2nd June, 2013 at Torwoodlee Golf Club and 8 holes were sponsored.   The raffle had also raised about 420.00.  The total amount raised was just over 1500.00.   Rae wished to record his thanks to all members who had sponsored holes, donated hole prizes and raffle prizes and helped on the day.   He also wished to express his thanks to former member Jim McColm for all his help behind the scenes.   President Andrew, in turn, wished to record the Clubs thanks to Rae for organising and running the event ,which ensured its success.  

[c]   It had been agreed at an earlier meeting that the main part of the cash raised  at the Charity Golf Event would go towards Dementia Services at the BGH.    

14 May 2013

[a]   Bill reported that we have been asked to help at the Braw Lads Sports on Sunday, 23rd June, 2013 for which the Club will receive 500.00.   A list for volunteers will be issued nearer the time.

[b]   It would appear that there will be no Big Band Concert as the group are about to fold.

[c]   Rae reported that 7 teams have so far entered our Charity Golf Competition on Sunday, 2nd June, 2013 at Torwoodlee and 5 holes have been sponsored.   He has also handed out raffle tickets to Club members tonight, but of course is looking for raffle prizes and nearest the hole prizes.   It has been agreed that the main part of the cash raised will go towards Dementia Services at the BGH. 

9 April 2013

[a]   Bill reported that the Charity Lunch Sunday, 17th March, 2013 was a great success with 48 attending.   400.00 was raised and this was passed to the Borders Alzheimers Group based in Kelso.

[b]   The Senior Citizens Lunch on Wednesday 20th March, 2013 was postponed due to weather conditions, but has been re-scheduled for Monday, 15th April, 2013, with more or less the same arrangements.

[c]   Arrangements were in hand for a Big Band Concert in October.   However, this has now been put on hold as there is the possibility of the Big Band disbanding.

[d]   Rae is due to start putting out posters etc. for the Charity Golf Competition on Sunday, 2nd June, 2013 at Torwoodlee, but a cause or charity to benefit, has still to be established.  Rae wondered if, after tonights talk, if we should raise the cash towards Dementia Services at the BGH. 

13 March 2013

[a]   Bill was an apology, but it was reported that at least 51 were attending the Charity Lunch will take place at Netherdale on Sunday, 17th March, 2013 at 1pm for 1.30pm.   Raffle prizes are welcome along with anyone else who wishes to attend.

[b]   John has the organisation for the Senior Citizens Lunch on Wednesday 20th March, 2013, well in hand and 91 people are attending from the various homes.   Gala Wheels will provide the transport from the homes where persons require wheelchairs.   However, 11 persons have to be picked up at Glenfield Court and 17 from Cornmill Square and Rotary Members will be required to uplift them.   The uplifts will start at 12noon for the function at 1pm.  

12 February 2013

[a]   Bill intimated that our Charity Lunch will take place at Netherdale on Sunday, 17th March, 2013 and he and his Committee were trying to sort out the menus for the day.  He hopes to have a circulation sheet on the board from next week.

[b]   It is hoped to have a Big Band Concert  on 8th November, 2013, but this arrangement will have to be firmed up as will a booking for the Volunteer Hall.   It is also to be decided which charity[ies] will benefit.

[c]   John  has the organisation for the Senior Citizens Lunch on Wednesday 20th March, 2013, well in hand and invitation letters have  been sent  out to the various homes.   It is hoped that Gala Wheels will provide the transport.

13 January 2013

[a]   Bill wished to express his thanks to everyone who helped and who attended the Christmas Eve Carol Service, which raised 265.00. to be donated to Callums Trust.   Bill  proposed that the Club make this up to  400.00 and Council agreed.

[b]   The Committee will meet next week to discuss arrangements for a Big Band Concert and a Charity Lunch.

[c]   John Miller has the organisation for the Senior Citizens Lunch at Netherdale, on the afternoon of Wednesday 20th March, 2013, well in hand. 

9 October 2012

[a]   Bill reported that the plans for the charity shop where under way, with the setting up from Sunday, 14th  until Wednesday,17th October,  2012,  thereafter being  open to the public for 3 days from Thursday,18th of October, 2012.

[b]   The official letters are going out in the middle of October regarding the Christmas Eve carol service in Bank Street gardens 

11 September 2012

a]  Bill reported that in looking for an event to take the place of the Vintage Car Rally, his committee were looking at manning a centre shop in Galashiels in the next six weeks.   It has to be taken for six days.

[b]  Drew has been looking at the possibility of installing a Rotary Wishing Well somewhere in the town.  

[c]   The Committee have also been looking at the possibility of staging a Charity Walk or a Fashion Show.

[d]   They also thought about another Fiddlers Rally, but in the meantime Jim Main had spoken to President Andrew, looking to hold a Big Band Concert as they were needing funds

7 August 2012

[a] Bill reported that the Selkirk Vintage Car Rally is on Sunday, 16th September, 2012 has been cancelled due to the state of the ground. It has not recovered from last year and this years has not helped either.
[b] An e-mail has been received from Abbotsford, thanking the Club members for all their help on the weekend 4th/5th August, 2012. Although the event on the Sunday was cancelled, Club Members were still on hand to advise and turn members of the public away.
[c] Several of our members helped the Kelso Club with the project at the Border Union Show. This was to supply children with wristband to assist if they became lost.
[d] It is proposed to have an afternoon for Senior Citizens at Netherdale on 20th March, 2013.
[e] The Committee felt that as they did have anything scheduled until the Christmas Carol Service, they were looking at doing a fund raising event before then.

10 July 2012

[a]  Bill reported that the Selkirk Vintage Car Rally is on Sunday, 16th September, 2012.   As Drew will not be available on that date, Rae has been drafted in to help John with the arrangements.   However, we still have to be asked to help and John will contact Gordon Edgar to confirm this.

[b]  The next thing on the agenda appears to be the assistance at Abbotsford on the weekend 4th/5th August, 2012.   There are some names on the board to help on the day, but the arrangements will have to be firmed up.

[e]   The Kelso Club have asked for help with a project at the Border Union Show.   It is understood that some of our members have offered to help.   These arrangements will also have to be firmed up.

12 June 2012

a]  It was reported to that the Golf Tournament was a great success as seem by the money raised  and thanks go to Torwoodlee Golf Club for the use of their facilities and catering, to Jim McColm for the donation of the Quaichs in memory of Duncan Brown, Drew Tulley for the donation of the set of clubs and of course a very big thank you to Rae for organising the event and running it in such a professional manner.  Thanks are also given to all Rotarians who helped on the day and donated prizes.

[b]  John Gray informed the Council that it is proposed to hold a Senior Citizens Lunch on 20th March  2013.

[c]   The erection of a Rotary plaque at the flower bed adjacent to Gala Aisle is on hold at the moment and John will report back after further discussions with the Gala in Bloom Committee.

[d]   Asda are holding a Family Day on 17th June [11.00am until 4.00pm] at the Public Park and Peter is supplying a Bouncy Castle for the event. The event is to raise money for two local charities.

[e]   The Vintage Car Rally will be held on Sunday, 16th September 2012.

15 May 2012

[a] Rae intimated that the arrangements for the Charity Golf at Torwoodlee on Sunday, 3rd June, 2012 was progressing and he had handed out raffle tickets to members tonight. Obviously teams and sponsors are still required.
[b] John Gray intimated that the Committee were looking at the possibility of a Senior Citizens Lunch rather than having an evening event..
[c] John also reported that the Galashiels in Bloom Committee were looking at the possibility of erecting a Rotary plaque behind the flower beds at the entrance to Gala Aisle as an indication of the Rotary Clubs involvement in the project. The cost would be about 200.00.
[d] The request, made at last months Council Meeting by Duncan McCosh, that the Club consider donating something towards the purchase of a wheelchair[s] for the Chaplaincy Centre at Borders General Hospital is still progressing. Peter is trying to get prices.
[e] John also wanted thanks recorded to the three members who helped with the stewarding at the Rowan Boland Run from Meigle Park on Friday, 27th April, 2012 and the seven who assisted at the Matt Lochrie Memorial rugby match at Netherdale on Friday. 4th May, 2012. Organisers of both events were very appreciative of the help and assistance given.

14 February 2012

[a]    [a] President Elizabeth intimated that in place of the Senior Citizens Night, they were looking at the possibility of an afternoon tea, possibly in early June.   This would be subject to availability of the Focus Centre.

         [b]   Bills Charity Lunch will now go ahead on Sunday, 18th March, at Gala Rugby Club.

         [c]   Another event is the Charity Golf at Torwoodlee.   Rae confirmed that he event is in the Torwoodlee Fixture Card for Sunday, 3rd June, 2012.    He will start the arrangements on his return from his holidays.

         [d]    A letter had been received from Joy Chatters, Vice Convenor of Borders Talking Newspaper asking if the Club would consider helping with their fundraising either through a minimum sponsorship of 150.00, purchase a minimum of 20 CDs of Sounds of the Boders, Scocha, Lady Steel, etc. at a cost of 100.00 or make an donation.   Council suggested a donation of 100.00.

10 Janaury 2012

  [a]   President Elizabeth notified Council  that Ian MacDonnell had approached her and asked if the could have extended leave of absence and this was agreed by Council.    The remaining projects had already been allocated to members of the Committee and they would report on these when they were due..

         [b]   The Senior Citizens Evening was being headed up by John Miller, but President Elizabeth hoped to speak to Ian to ascertain what progress he had make in respect of the handing of the food etc.

         [c]    Another item was Bills Charity Lunch and there was concern that numbers attending had been declining in the past year or two and it was wondered if the event was still viable.   [Andrew has since called at Gala Rugby Club and found that Sunday, 18th March, 2012 is available.   He has provisionally booked this date, but will try and find out numbers possibly attending before committing to the event or the date.]  

         [d]   Another event is the Charity Golf at Torwoodlee.   Rae reported that he sent a letter to the Club Secretary, requesting Sunday, 3rd June, 2012, but is awaiting the 2012 Fixture Card for confirmation.   This should be at hand next week.

8 November 2011

[a] Bill Zawadeckyj has the arrangements for the Christmas Eve Carol Service well under way.

[b] It was intended to hold the usual Senior Citizens Night at the Focus Centre in March, 2012

11 October 2011

(a)       The plans for the next event in the calendar, being the Christmas Eve Carol Service, are well in hand. Bill Zawadeckyj is making the arrangements on behalf of the committee.

(b)       The Senior Citizens Night. Advice has been requested (and supplied ) from SBC in connection with food hygiene arrangements. IMcD mentioned recently at a club meeting that SBC have confirmed that we do not need to have the food prepared by a Food Hygiene certificate holder. We do however have to prepare all foods at the Focus Centre and not have them made as was the case in the past by Rotarians and their partners and brought to the Focus Centre. IMcD will endeavour to make contact with ASDA to see if they would be willing to supply items such as Bread, Sandwich Fillings etc in an effort to keep the cost down. A member of the committee is still to be nominated to look after this event.

13 September 2011

Ian reported that the arrangements for Melrose Pipe Band Championships went very well, but at one point we were extremely thin on the ground and it was thanks to Inner Wheel members for filling up the shortfall. In view of this, Ian reported that his Committee felt that we should make a donation to Inner Wheel of 100.00/150,00 to show our appreciation. Council felt that the Club nearly always 'top-up' any Inner Wheel fund raising project and wondered if this cash could be part of a further 'top-up' or an extra contribution to Inner Wheel.

[b] Plans for Selkirk Vintage Car Rally were well in hand and John Gray had drawn up a rota of duties for bthe day. The main car park will be supplemented with an overflow car park across the road from the main car park, if this should be needed.

[c] Bill Zawadeckyj has the arrangements in hand for the Christmas Eve Carol Service.

[d] It was intended to hold the usual Senior Citizens Night at the Focus Centre in March, 2012. However, information has now come to hand concerning food hygene legislation. It would appear that we need to have the food prepared by someone who is the holder of a food hygene ceriificate, rather than Rotarians or their partners. Further enquiries will be required to ascertain the actual position with the legislation and to see how we can comply.

8 June 2011

Dave reported that the Rotary Charity Golf Event at Torwoodlee Golf Club on Sunday, 5th June, 2011 had been a great success with 23 teams taking and 8 holes sponsored.    These, together with the raffle, had made a profit of 1509.16.   Dave went on to express his thanks to Rae and Jim McColm  for organising the event and to everyone who helped on the day or contributed in any way in selling raffle tickets, supplying raffle prizes or nearest the hole prizes.   Council recommended that 1200.00 be donated to Chest, Heart and Stroke [Scotland}, who were shown as the main recipients of the proceeds and that the remainder go to clubs funds to be distributed to other local worthwhile causes. 

[b]    Club agreed to assist at the  Braw Lads Sports at Netherdale on 26th June, 2011 and Dave had put out a list, asking for 'volunteers' to help out between 9.30 am and 3.30 pm.   Again this exercise will earn the Club 500.00.

[c]    The visit to the new Lauder Primary School was great success and enjoyed by all who attended.

[d]     Dave reported that his committee had come up with the suggestion that the Club consider donating 500.00 to Prostate Cancer in the Borders.

10 May 2011

[a] Arrangements for the Rotary Charity Golf Event at Torwoodlee Golf Club on Sunday, 5th June, 2011 and Dave would be sending round a sheet for helpers on the day. The usual raffle tickets have now been printed and handed out to members. Rae reported that six teams have entered to date and four holes have been sponsored. Members are asked to push for teams to enter this event and try and get any further other hole sponsorship.

[b] John Gray intimated again that Phil Macari was hoping the Rotary Club could again help with the gates at the Braw Lads Sports at Netherdale on 26th June, 2011 but a letter was awaited. [Letter now received]

[c] The visit to the new Lauder Primary School is going ahead next week.

19 April 2011

[a]    Dave reported that Bill Murray had requested leave of absence unyil the end of May and this was agreed by Council.

[b]    It was again noted that the Rotary Charity Golf Event at Torwoodlee Golf Club was Sunday, 5th June, 2011 and Dave would be sending round a sheet for helpers on the day.   He was also arranging for the usual raffle tickets to be printed.  

[c]    John Gray had intimated that Phil Macari was hoping the Rotary Club  could again help with the gates at the Braw Lads Sports at Netherdale on 26th June, 2011 and a letter is awaited.

[d]    Dave hoped to arrange a visit to the new Lauder Primary School on 18th or 19th May, 2011.

[e]    President Peter intimated that a representative from the Hearts for Heroes Organisation had been in touch wondering what help Rotary could give.   He had seen our name in correspondence.   Peter is meeting him in Edinburgh, but intends to make no commitment. 

8 March 2011

[a]    The  arrangements for the Senior Citizen's Night at the Focus Centre,  this coming Friday are  well in hand.    As indicated in the last Minutes, transport has been arranged, members are arranging catering and raffle prizes are coming in.

[b]    Rae again reminded Council that the date for the Rotary Charity Golf Event at Torwoodlee Golf Club was Sunday, 5th June, 2011.  

[c]    As part of an environmental project, a litter pick has been arranged in Galashiels for Saturday, 26th March, and a sheet has gone round the Club asking for volunteers.

8 February 2011

[a]    The  arrangements for the Senior Citizen's Night at the Focus Centre, on Friday 11th March, 2011 was well in hand and Gala Wheels have been arranged to provide transport..  It was the intention to ask Members to provide the usual catering.   Raffle prizes would be required

[b]    Rae reminded Council that the date for the Rotary Charity Golf Event at Torwoodlee Golf Club was Sunday, 5th June, 2011.   It was already in their fixture card.   Could members make some suggestions as to which charity/cause should benefit from any proceeds raised, so that this could be shown on any correspondence, posters or advertising.