Read about our History.
Rotary International was formed in 1905 in the United States of America by a Chicago lawyer by the name of Paul Harris as an association to encourage fellowship among members of the business community. The movement grew and other clubs were formed in other parts of America and in other countries. The first clubs to be formed in Great Britain were the London and Dublin Rotary Clubs, both of which were founded in 1911.
Four years later, the Rotary Club of Newcastle upon Tyne was formed, the first in North Eastern England and only the tenth in the UK. The idea came from a conversation in a railway carriage between a member of the Manchester Rotary Club and a Newcastle architect, The Club was officially founded on 20th August 1915 with a membership of fifty . Over the years the Club expanded and by 1954 the membership was over 170. Many prominent businessmen and leading citizens have been members of the Club over the years.
The Club had the opportunity to help in the sponsorship and development of no fewer than 25 Clubs in District 1030 and beyond. These are: Berwick, Bishop Auckland, Blaydon, Blyth, Carlisle, Chester le Street, Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Gosforth, Heaton (now dissolved), Hexham, Jarrow, Kendal, Middlesbrough, Newcastle West, North Shields, South Bank & Eston (also now dissolved), South Shields, Stockton, Sunderland, Wallsend, Hartlepool, Whitehaven and Whitley Bay.
In 2015 our Club celebrated its centenary with a number of events and succeeded in raising nearly £20,000 for charitable causes..