Rotary Club of Northallerton Mowbray
Home | New Generations
Rotary's programmes for young people can change the lives of those who participate.
New Generations is the name that Rotary gives to its programmes aimed at young people up to the age of 30.
The Club has active involvement in a number of programmes that are organised on a District Level.
Each year the Club supports the following District or national initiatives:
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA). The District hosts a very successful programme held each year at Hebden Hey, near Hedben Bridge in West Yorkshire. Together with the Northallerton Rotary Club, each year we seek young people in the age range 16 to 17 attending Northallerton College to take up the 3 places offered on the programme (1 funded by the Northallerton Mowbray Club and 2 funded by the Northallerton Club). A exciting and worthwhile week of leadership challenges awaits those who take part. Based on previous feedback, the young people who take part in this annual event find this a fulfilling experience, and something that stands them in good stead as they move on towards adulthood.
- Rotary Youth Sailing Programme. For the last few years we have supported one young person each summer to join this programme. This means a week away on the Sail Training Ship "James Cook" which sails out of North Shields. Good fun is mixed with meeting the challenge of working as a team on the ship to undertake a voyage in the North Sea. Skills far beyond those of simply raising a sail are learnt during the time on board.
- Rotary Young Chef. Another regular programme aimed at budding chefs - boy or girl. A Club round before Christmas leads to the successful young chef going on to regional competitions, and if succesful into the national final. And this is not just a pipe dream. Our first Club Young Chef did progress to that national final, and although he did not win at that stage this was a fantastic experience for him, and all who had been involved in helping him to that stage in the competition.
- Technology Tournament. This annual event is held across the country and we join with other clubs from the immediate area to hold an event in Catterick, which is open to teams from schools across the area at all age ranges. Club members who assist in this event never cease to be amazed at the inventiveness and enthusiasm of the teams as they try to design and build a working solution to the challenge set.
The Club also provides other opportunites. We sponsor a young citizen award at the Allertonshire School. In July 2012 we organised a relay for young people as part of the Northallerton Carnival. Although the torrential downpour, which has been typical summer weather this year, affected the event, and meant that not all the teams entered could take part, a great time was had by those who did.
Further plans are being made for 2012/13 - so watch this space!
- Technology Tournament
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA)
- Northallerton Carnival 2012- Relay Races
- Rotary Youth Sailing