Rotary Club of Cober Valley Helston
Home | Fellowship
- President Steve welcomed club members
Thought for the day – Annie John
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead, Anthropologist
- Golf Day – 13th April. Lots of support from other Rotary Clubs bringing teams and RAF St Mawgan who are sending 5 teams. Paul asked for a list of sponsors and supporters for putting on the website which may encourage more sponsors. John H suggested we might contact RAF Culdrose to see if we could encourage teams from there and put up a Forces trophy. George suggested that the Culdrose Golf Club was no longer in existence.
- Rotary Spring Clean – it was agreed we would clean up the Penrose Car Park on Sunday 25th March. Sue to check this was okay with Chris Dawson, the Town Clerk.
- Motor Cycle Outreach – it was agreed this project is very similar to Bikes4Africa so we didn’t want to be involved at this time. Sue asked to thank them for the email but explain we are already committed to a similar project.
- Overseas Project Team – further email circulated regarding clubs working together. As with last year our club doesn’t have the funds at present to allow club involvement. We should look ahead and either hold a fundraiser specifically for OPT involvement or try and build up some reserves.
- Redruth RC Olympics 29 March – details had already been circulated to members. Steve asked if anyone is interested in forming a team. John, Glenda, George, Rachael, Steve & Carol agreed to create one and Suzie, Paul showed an interest if 4 other team members can be found. Sue was asked to email everyone to ask those who are not with us this evening.
· Children’s Centre – no news as it is half term
· President’s night – Steve to send dates to Suzie and Sue to check dates of other clubs President’s nights to avoid a clash.
· Sue mentioned Camborne’s Anniversary Dinner and President’s night but no one is available. Carol L will be there with Stephen and Sue would try to attend
· John H asked about the new cattle market building and a club link – Bryn & Suzie already have links and will try to arrange for a club visit. Barbara to be contacted regarding a date for the Arts & Craft show.
· Rob added a unique piece of welding to the key ring and passed it on to Annie. Carol K suggested we put together a history of the items added and the stories behind them to put on the website.
· District Quiz – Caroline had asked Kim to join the team and he has agreed – team will be Wendy, George, Paul & Kim – they don’t need to pay conference fees to attend.
· Carol L mentioned the Area Youth Speaks Final to be held at the St Johns Hall, Penzance on 23rd February at 4 pm
· George told everyone that there will be a presentation of Citizenship for Life at the District Conference on the Friday afternoon. Joash, Billy and 1 of the girls would be talking to the Rotarians. Members would need to register to attend if they want to listen. Carol L mentioned she is still trying to get Billy to come and speak to us on a Wednesday evening.
· Tom mentioned Shelterbox Open Day – this Saturday 18th – everyone welcome.
Rotary Toast – ‘Advanced toast to our youth speaks teams when they compete next week’
George mentioned an article in this week’s packet about Youth Speaks and a vote of thanks went to Wendy for getting that sorted.