Rotary Club of Cober Valley Helston
Home | Meeting Report
President Elect Suzie welcomed members of the Rotary Club of Cober Valley Helston our speaker Adrian Richards, Rtns Martin & Lesley Sulley from RC Colchester Centurion; Katie Thurston & Rtn Stephen Lay
Lesley Sulley brought us greetings from her club President and a banner, in return she was presented with one of our fund raising attendance cards.
Birthday wishes and ‘the song’ went out to Caroline and Rob
Thought for the Day – Hilary
That we were lucky with the beautiful day for Flora Day. Life is full of negativity and depressing news but all of us in this room are lucky and have a lot to be grateful for, we live in a free society with freedom of speech, & movement. Our homes are in the most beautiful County and we are surrounded by family & friends.
The more you recognise & express gratitude for the things you have, the more things you will have to express gratitude for – Zig Ziglar
Felling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it. - William Ward
God gave you the gift of 86400 seconds today. Have you used one to say ‘thank you’ – William Ward
Thank you for listening & being my Rotary Friends.
Meal Starter 7:15
Adrian gave us all a great presentation about BF Adventure and what it does for disadvantaged/disaffected & disabled children & young people here in our own County. He went on to tell us what is needed for the future success of BF and how we as a Rotary club can help. After the presentation, Suzie thanks Adrian and pledged our future support for BFAdventure.
- Jubilee event funding request. After some debate it was proposed that we would also support this event by donating £200, this was agreed.
- Ocean Academy of Dance request for funding. This was discussed but it was agreed we don’t really know enough about the level of funding needed and where other funds are coming from. We also don’t know a lot about the academy and with such short notice have no time to find out much more. Sue was asked to circulate the email for further discussion next week
- Helston-Lizard are holding their Dance in Barn on Friday 25th May and hopefully some of our members will be present. Sue to recirculate details.
· St Agnes & St Piran event May19th given the date and the amount of events being held that day none of our members are able to attend. Sue was asked to send our apologies.
· Secretarial cover for next week. Sue will be away, Paul will hopefully be able to cover preparation of the meeting but a volunteer is needed to take notes for the report. Carol L offered to do this.
· District Assembly – Suzie felt it had been a well organized and very well attended evening but would like to hear less Rotary Jargon which can be very confusing for inexperienced Rotarians. Other members who had attended also found it a very useful and informative evening. It was suggested that a later start or a weekend meeting would perhaps make it possible for more Rotarians to attend.
· Stroke Awareness – Caroline had made contact with an OT specialist who along with 2 qualified friends could help us with this on 19th May. Sue had not heard back from the Medical practices. A table would be provided for us at the Health Awareness event and so we will go ahead with this. Stephen L gave a suggestion on how to get publicity for this on Radio.
· Book & Picture Stall – Porthleven – John H told us all this will begin on Thursday 17th. Pictures are needed so members are asked to bring them along next week or contact John to arrange collection. Likewise with books – Hilary has requested more books, especially up to date titles. Again these can be brought along next week or contact Hilary. Sue was asked to contact Hilary regarding the creation of a Rota of helpers.
· Ball Splash Fundraiser – Jo reported back from the successful planning meeting, this event will be held on 16 September. We are just waiting for final permission to use the river and the plan is to sell balls for £2 each at the Farmers Market and at Sainsburys. Jo requested help with getting prizes, this being the first priority. There will be a further planning meeting soon. We may also need to source some more tennis balls.
· Carol L mentioned that she and Stephen had probably been at the last Rotary event held at Falmouth Beach Hotel before it so drastically burnt down.
Suzie once again thanked our guests and extended and open invitation to them to revisit us at any time before making the final toast ----
‘Local Communities & Charities’