About Our Club
A brief account of our Club
THIS IS THE ROTARY CLUB OF CAMELFORD
About our town
Camelford is a small town, steeped in history and is situated on the River Camel in North Cornwall.
The A39 passes through the centre of the town making it an ideal base for touring the county.
The attractive villages of Tintagel, Boscastle and Port Isaac as well as Bodmin Moor are all within easy reach. Nearby Slaughterbridge has two historical claims to fame, as the site of a major battle between the Cornish and the Saxons in 823AD and as the place where King Arthur was buried in 542AD.
A History of Rotary Club of Camelford
In 1964 four determined young men, Dennis Batten, Jim Collins, George Merrett and Steve Stephens, met with Frank Jordan, the District 1290 Extension Officer, to discuss the formation of a Rotary Club.
In fact, Frank Jordan reported back to District that Camelford would not be able to support a Rotary Club.
This has proved incorrect and the club received its Charter in May 1966 and has now completed 45 successful years as The Rotary Club of Camelford. The Wadebridge Club sponsored us and President Bill Millington presented a bell to President Jim Collins on our Charter night
During the years many local, national and international organisations have been helped
and the club is very proud of the efforts and money given to help form the Abbeyfield Society in Camelford.
Today we have 24 members and intend the club to continue strongly in the 21st century.