Recycle your Bicycles Wheelchairs Specs Tools
Sat 30th September 2017 at 09.00 - 14.00
RESULTS NOW IN - SEE BELOW Sat 30th September 2017 at 09.00 Collecting unwanted Bicycles, Wheelchairs/Mobility Aids, Tools and Spectacles - for refurbishment and distribution to those who need them but can't afford them.
RESULTS NOW IN
Another tremendous collection :
20 Sewing Machines
3 Van Loads of Hand and Power Tools
85 Pairs of Spectacles
Assorted Crutches, Walking Sticks and other Mobility Aids
Thanks to everyone who gave - these items will all be put to good use.
Recycling Bicycles, Wheelchairs and Spectacles
Main Car Park, llkley
Saturday 30th September 2017
9am to 2pm
We will be collecting
- unwanted bicycles - any size, any condition, including incomplete, parts, spares etc
- wheelchairs and mobility aids - any condition including crutches, walking frames, rollators etc
- spectacles - any condition, any strength
- Hand Tools and Workshop Tools ( Not Gardening ! )
- Sewing Machines
Bicycles will be collected by the Margaret Carey Foundation - based in Keighley - who have set up a number of workshops in prisons where bicycles can be refurbished by prisoners - learning a skill, using their time productively and giving something back to society.
The refurbished items are then donated onwards sometimes in the UK, but in the case of robust and serviceable items, onwards into the 3rd world.
Wheelchairs and Mobility Aids
Wheelchairs will also be refurbished by the Margaret Carey Foundation in prison workshops, and then donated to people in 3rd world countries who desperately need them , but can't afford them.
Other mobility aids - crutches, walking frames etc - will be donated to PhysioNet a Rotary based charity in North Yorkshire who will refurbish items and transport them to people in the 3rd world who desperately need them, but can't afford them. Physionet and the Margaret Carey Foundation work closely together.
Rollator reused in Bhutan
Your unwanted spectacles will be forwarded to the SpecSort charity - organised by Rotarians near York. All spectacles capable of being reused will be refurbished and sent to the 3rd World - usually to Africa - where there are people who desperately need them but cant afford them.
Hand and Power Tools
Hand and Power Tools, Workshop Equipment and Sewing Machines will be taken by the Ilkley based "Tools for Africa" volunteer group who will clean them up, refurbish them, and forward them
- either to the Nuffield School for the Deaf and Blind in Jaffna, Sri Lanka - if suitable for vocational training
- Or to WORKAID . Workaid will assemble donations from round the country into kits so that people in Africa can earn a living. They assemble kits for carpenters, builders, small workshops, automotive repairs, dressmakers, tailors etc and ship them to Africa for donation. People can then start small businesses that help to kick-start their local economies. Click here to see what sort of tools and equipment are most needed.
Your donations will make a difference....
Save Landfill !
Give work to offenders who can learn a skill and pay something back to society.
Give people the means to earn a living, to be mobile, to better their lives.
These are life changing gifts
Can't get the bike or wheelchair down to Ilkley centre?
We might be able to pick them up at an agreed time on the day.
Unfortunately, we dont have anywhere we can store them so we cant pick up before the day.
Fill in the form below and submit it
We will email you with an approximate time we could collect on the day.
In case you cant be in, please indicate where you can leave the kit.