Visit to Radstock Museum
Thu 17th September 2015 at 19.00 - 20.00
Visit by members and partners to Radstock Museum with a meal at the King William IV in Tunley afterwards.
Radstock Museum has a range of exhibits offering an insight into life in North Somerset since the nineteenth century.
The museum was originally opened in 1989 in barns in Haydon. The museum moved to its current site, a restored and converted Victorian Market Hall which opened in July 1999. The Market Hall is a Grade II Listed Building dating from 1897.
Many of the exhibits relate to the now disused local Somerset coalfield and geology. The geology exhibits, including fossils found locally, particularly relate to the work of William Smith who was known as "the Father of English Geology”, having spent much of his early career in the local area.
Other exhibits include aspects of local history including home life, schools and shops, and industries such as agriculture, a forge, and printers.
Artifacts and memorabilia of the Somerset Coal Canal, SDJR and GWR are also on display.
Religious life in the area is represented with exhibits related to John Wesley who founded Methodism and John Skinner who, as well as being rector of Camerton was also an archaeologist and antiquarian.
The visit will be followed by a meal at 8.30 pm at a nearby pub.