WHAT WE DO AT OUR CLUB MEETINGS 2015-2016

Brief Summary of each Club meeting during the Rotary Year 2015-2016

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


 


 

Meeting 36 AGM and Business meeting Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 26th April 2016

  • Money Taker Terry Kinsley
  • Neil read out the apologies and also said Grace
  • Guests: None
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • Greetings from other clubs one from an Oxford club on Saturday at Stroke awareness day
  • Birthdays D Osmond (28th) R Kidson(3rd May)
  • Almoner, Eric Carr’s funeral is on Friday 1.30pm at St Jude’s , Emrys Richards funeral is on 6th May at 1.30 at Slough Crematorium
  • Club draw, Katharina won the bottle
  • The President mentioned the Presidents Weekend and wished Laurence and David Wheeler good trips on Tuesday. Rest follow on Saturday.
  • Secretary announced that Richard Carleton has offer to be JVP next year he was voted in as nobody else wanted to stand in his way.
  • Then followed the AGM of which all the reports are attached, all the reports were very full of things we have done over the year with lots still to come.

Appointment of Committee Chairman 2016/17

a)Club Service - Bernard Hawkes

b) Community Service & Vocational – Guy Barlow

c) International & Foundation – Adrian Stabbins

d) Youth Opportunities – Richard Carleton

e) Fund Raising – Paul Bayley

f) Social – David Wheeler

g) Media & Communications – Ron Lewandowski

Election of Honorary Members

HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

HRH Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex

The Rt. Revd. David Conner: Dean of Windsor

Lt. Col. Denis James: CO Household Cavalry Regt. Windsor

Lt. Col. James Thurstan: CO Coldstream Guards, Windsor

Admiral Sir James Perowne KBE: Constable & Governor of Windsor Castle

Lord Waldegrave of North Hill: Provost, Eton College

Councillor: Mayor of Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead (Name not yet known).

Mrs Gill Labrum MA: Head Teacher of Windsor Girls School

Rev Canon Dr Edmund Newall: Principal of Cumberland Lodge

Election of ordinary members to council

A Benge, G Barlow, R Carleton B Lewis, T Monk, D Wheeler

Steve Roper was appointed Examining Accountant for Club Accounts

The following were elected representative & substitute of the Club at District Council: C Coombs & R Kidson.

  • That ended the AGM meeting bit
  • Richard mentioned the Ascot Race Day
  • Adrian mentioned the extra time in Berlin and if people think this is a good idea please let him know.
  • Sergeant of Arms fined himself and a few other late comers, and mentioned his working holiday in Thailand?

The next meeting will be on 9th May, the president is away so Richard is in the chair the speaker is Colin Mills Addiction , Money Collector Uma Patel

 

Meeting 35 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 18th April 2016

  • Money Taker and Grace said although forgotten he was doing it, Andrew Panter
  • Colin read out the apologies
  • Guests: Tom Brades( windsor Sea Cadets)
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • Greetings from other clubs Ralph handed over a banner he forgot last week, Jon brought greetings from High Wycombe Rotary
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner was back, it was good Ron was looking his old self again, Bob Heybourn did get away to Devon and Bob conveyed a story about Emrys Richards. Arrangements for Eric’s funeral had been circulated.
  • Club draw, Adrian Stabbins won the bottle
  • The President mentioned the sponsorship for the Fayre and a close relationship with Budgens in Eton High Street, they also hoped to have a stall. President also mentioned the Presidents weekend in that it would be very informal.
  • Secretary at last had something to report, next week is the AGM and encourage Chairman of Committees to look back on their year and produce a report. If you did not want to go on next year’s council please let Colin know.
  • Tom Brades gave a very interesting talk about the Sea Cadets in general and then the Windsor and Eton set up, if anybody would like to help on being involved with the Windsor and Eton branch please contact Tom direct. His email is tom_brades@hotmail.co.uk
  • David Burch gave a very good vote of thanks.
  • Adrian said he will send out an email about Berlin next week, there was an interesting item on yesterday’s news about Polio yesterday. Guy reminded everybody about Stroke awareness on Saturday
  • Sergeant of Arms was back and fined the President for starting the meeting 30 seconds early although the President said it was Geoff who was late.
  • Eric funeral would be held on 29th April, details have been sent out on an email.

The next meeting will be on 25th April and Greg Parrish is money collector and it is a business /AGM meeting

 

Meeting 34 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 4th April 2016

  • Money Taker and Grace Eric Malam
  • A minute silence was held so members could remember Eric Carr who sadly passed away last week.
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests: Ros Hargreaves( KEC Manager) Bryan Preston, Eileen Regan
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • Greetings from other Clubs None
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner was away but the President had an update on Ron and the illness he has is Ramsey Hunt Syndrome, he is at home and hopes to be at a Fayre meeting tomorrow night
  • Club draw, Guy Barlow won the bottle.
  • The President thanked Guy for his email on Stroke awareness and the very full roster we have for the 24th, there should be a piece in the paper this week. The president asked for menu choices for the Saturday night meal for those going to Kefalonia. Concern over the buckets and tabloids for Stroke awareness if anybody knows where they are please let Guy or the President know.
  • Secretary nothing to reportRichard then gave an overview of the Ascot Race day on 27th April. This is all under control and approx. 440 people are attending. Help will be required on the day especially on the bucket collection at the end of the day
  • Derek then explained about the format for the summer fayre which is changing this year with more entertainment and some more food stalls. Attached is the plan the committee are using for the event. Again help on the day and leading up to the event will be required.
  • We needed to look for the second duck , The President would speak to James Lang
  • Adrian Stabbins mentioned about the Berlin Weekend with Celle 7-9th October, and Celle have suggested catching an earlier plane, Adrian has the full details.
  • Sergeant of Arms was away  At the last meeting Somebody suggested that a certain Mr Kidd should both be fined for being on the TV and without a tie, and he should be fined Mr Kidd paid a handsome fine to make up for his failings?
  • Eric funeral would not be before the 18th April

The next meeting will be on 11th April Tony Monk is money collector and the speaker is Josephine Crabb from St John’s Ambulance

 

Meeting 33 Business Meeting Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 21st March 2016

  • Money Taker and Grace Katharina Bareiss
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests: Catherine McLinden( chief Officer, Spencer Denney Centre)
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • Greetings from other Clubs  The President went to the WSG meet up coffee morning on Saturday and they had about 5 come along a couple of which might be interested in our club, he also spoke at Probus on Thursday and only had 4 go to sleep om him.
  • Birthdays A Benge(27th) J Davey(29th ) A Lewis(25th) P Lock (25th)
  • The almoner was away but as usual when he is away we have almoner news, Ron Lewandowski was in Royal Berks with Quinsy or shingles, we send him our best, Elaine is now at home but we take a while to fully recover , June is also at home with Eric rushing around doing the housework.
  • Club draw, Bob Heybourn was given his missing bottle and this week’s raffle was won by Bernard
  • The President at this point had little to say.
  • Adrian Stabbins mentioned about the Berlin Weekend with Celle 7-9th October, and the article in the weekend paper by a lady that they had meet in India on their Polio trip, it was a very good article.
  • Catherine thanked both the club and its members for all its support over her 15 years at Spencer Denny centre, she also asked that her thanks be passed onto members not present today.
  •  Secretary There is a board going around for Terry Kingsley’s 50th year lunch, this is on the 16th May and open to other halves guests etc. Fred King is with us that day.
  • The President then gave a short overview on the excellent district conference that was held the other weekend. There were a wide range of very good speakers on a varied subject. It was Rotary at its best and shows that the money and time we put into charity events and organisations is much appreciated and we do make a difference
  • Katharina then gave her overview as her first conference ( please see her words to the club with this email), it also goes to show it is a very small world?
  • Sergeant of Arms was on fine form although nobody got fined but he also said how much he enjoyed the conference as it was his first. Somebody suggested that a certain Mr Kidd should both be fined for being on the TV and without a tie, we will leave it up to the Sergeant of arms to exact this from him?
  • Derek was also upset that he had been picked on twice and the David himself should be fined.
  • The next meeting will be on 4th April Eric Malam is money collector and we will be discussing the summer fayre and Ascot.

The President wished all the members and their families a Happy Easter.

 

Meeting 32 Business Meeting Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 14th March 2016

  • Money Taker and Grace Paul Lock
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests: Bryan Preston
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • Greetings from other Clubs  from clubs in 1090 following a very good conference and Fred King the District Gorvenor.Chris Simon brought greetings from Woking club where he was a guest following the audit of there accounts.
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner was away but he had sent a card to Elaine Hawkes who was in hospital following a chest infection and asthma attack.
  • Club draw was won but the President forgot due to the rush of people collecting bottles they were owed, we still owe Bob Heybourn a bottle.
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Thank all those who attended the conference it was very good and the President and his wife were one of the last to leave the dance floor. Next meeting the President will give an overview of the conference.
  • We had a thank you for our attendance at the longest meeting, 308 people attended the 18 hours.
  • The President attended the careers Fayre at WBS and commented that it was not as good as the one we had arranged in the past this was backed up by Richard Carleton who also attended, the President has written to the organisers asking if we can be involved in future events.
  • Rotarians enjoyed a pint at the George on Thursday and although we had some followers on meet up nobody else joined us .
  • Secretary nothing to say
  • We then held a business meeting the minutes of the council meeting had been circulated previously but below were a few additional bits
  • The treasurer has been looking at the donations we have made over the last 13 years and these are as follows
  • £129,000 to overseas charities
  • £322,000 to UK charities in donations of over £500
  • £45,000 to charities below £500
  • Vice President said we hoped to get over 400 people to the Ascot Race day.
  • Richard Carleton brought us to date to Interact which was all good and hoped they would help at Ascot, he also mentioned the Careers Fayre.
  • There has been a change of venue for Youth Speak on 20th March: - Great Marlow School Bobmore Lane MARLOW SL7 1JE Richard Carleton wished to thank Jon Davey on behalf of the club for all the work he has done over the years with youth speak, Katharina has offered to take over from Jon
  • We will write to the auditor of our accounts to thank him for looking at our accounts.
  • In Adrian’s absence Colin mention the Celle visit which this year would be to Berlin on 7th-9th October, Adrian and Colin have the details it looks a very good weekend.
  • Sergeant of Arms was away so no fines

The next meeting will be on 21st  March Katharina is money collector and it is a Fellowship meeting talking about the conference and our guest will be Catherine from the Spence Denny Day centre who wanted to come and thank us for our help with the Day centre before she retires.

 

Meeting 31 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 7th March 2016

  • Money Taker and Grace R Lewandowski
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests: Brian Lewis( for the last time) Veronica Stabbins , Emma Skinner, Devon Monaghan and Katie Holmes WGS(Speakers)
  • Visiting Rotarian Chorus Nyamakunda( Burnham Beeches)
  • Greetings from other Clubs Richard and Colin attended WSG, Adrian had been to India and also meet a Belgium Rotactor and presented the Chairman with banners. 4 members went to the longest meeting last week and Katharina and the President enjoyed their sessions Richard and Ron not so much as the National President was still in Wales on his back. Terry had attended Ashford 50th celebrations and presented the President with a gift given out at the meeting.
  • Richard, Jon and Katarina attend the district finals of youth speak.
  • Birthdays None Bob Pickles (1st) & Andrew Panter (11th)
  • The almoner thanked people for their good wishes for Jane following her fall, he had also communicated with David Shaw. June Eric’s wife had been taken into hospital with a recurrence of her heart problem but was now back home.
  • Club draw was won by Brian Lewis and the bottle was here to give him, now Derek is back all the outstanding bottles will be given out.
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Notice of WSG Dinner at Maidenhead Golf club on 23rd April, interested parties please let President know £37.50p a head.
  • The Mayor has invited us to fly a flag for the Commonwealth on 14th March if anybody is interested in going to this in Maidenhead please let President know.
  • Next District council meeting is on 31st March at Henley, President and Colin going any others are more than welcome to join us.
  • On Thursday 10th March we are having another meet up event at the George in Eton( very good beer) at 6.00pm for an hour , lots of publicity gone out about this , I hope a few will be able to join me.
  •  Secretary mentioned the council meeting this evening at Presidents office 6.00pm
  • WGS gave a very good illustrated talk on their trip to Ecuador last summer, on their trip they used the water bottles we gave them.
  • Richard Carleton gave the vote of thanks and remarked on how much fun and good work they had gone on their trip.
  • Sergeant of Arms mentioned a few important dates and fined the secretary and President and Ron for being late collecting the money.
  • Guy mentioned Stroke awareness and the Quiz night details with Guy.
  • Vice President gave details of District Conference this Saturday

The next meeting will be on 14th March Katharina is money collector and it is a business meeting.

 

Meeting 30 (Evening Meeting) held at Eton College and the Castle Hotel on Monday 29th February 2016

  • The first part of the meeting was held at the Tony Little Centre for Innovation and Research in Learning when the Director of Teaching and Learning Jonnie Noakes along with Duncan the project Architect gave us a guided tour and very interesting talk on the principles behind the centre .
  • We then went to the Castle Hotel for supper
  • Money Taker R Kidson
  • Grace Colin Coombs
  • Guests: Wives and partners , Bryan Preston and Pat Preston ( Gillian Pearce was a guest at Eton but had to go to a district meeting) It was very good to see James Lang.
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • The almoner was away, but we had learnt that Jane Pickles had a fall when in Sri Lanka and came home in a wheelchair but is making good progress, we were also pleased to hear from Uma that Kash’s arm was now out of a sling
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Pub Quiz in Maidenhead on 18th March if we wanted to put in a team?
  • The President tried his best along with Uma to ensure the meeting did not finish before 9.00pm which there achieved.
  • No Sergeant at Arms but the President mentioned that the next time the 29th February is a Monday is 2044.

The next meeting will be on 7th March Speakers are 4 girls from WGS about their recent trip that we provided water bottles for. We will also be inducting Brian Lewis Money Collector Ron Lewendowski

 

Meeting 29 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 22nd February 2016

  • Money Taker and Grace L Slatter
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests:Colin Meads, Brian Lewis, Adam Afriyie MP
  • Visiting Rotarian None
  • Greetings from other Clubs None
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner was away, no other almoner news.
  • Club draw was won by Ron Lewandowski (another bottle owed)
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Meeting on 29th February, parking in his yard for the 6.30pm part of the meeting, then at the Castle Hotel to sit down at 8.00pm
  • Email circulated about Heathrow Collection on 18th March for Marie Curie Charity if anybody interested.
  • Secretary mentioned the WSG meeting next Tuesday, names to Colin if interested.
  • Adam Afriyie gave a very interesting talk on why he become a MP, and gave a very insight into his views on the EU


  • President gave the vote of thanks and thanked Adam for giving up his time to attend the meeting
  • J Davey gave us a date of 3rd March for the next round of Youth Speak if you wish to join Jon please let him know.
  • Sergeant of Arms gave both the speech, vote of thanks and questions and then never fined anybody.

The next meeting will be on 29th February an evening meeting with Richard Kidson collecting the money.

 
 Meeting 28 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 15th February 2016
  •  Money Taker and Grace K Bareiss who did a great job as this was her first time in doing this.
  • Neil read out the apologies, which was a long list and no reflection on our Speaker Fred.
  • Guests:Bryan Preston( Associate Member) Brian Lewis,
  • Visiting Rotarian Fred King District Governor (Burnham Beeches)
  • Greetings from other Clubs None, but Terry had visited John Handcock who was on the mend and sent his greetings to the club. Uma’s wife had damaged her shoulder in India and was now recovering at home, we all wished Uma well with his domestic duties and wished Kash a speedy recovery. Chris Simon mentioned that an ex Rotarians widow had recently died.
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner was away, but the President mentioned that
  • Club draw was won by Martyn Gorton (another bottle owed)
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Meeting on 29th February a board is being circulated please sign up.
  • On Tuesday 1st March WSG have the RIBA president Peter Davey at their meeting , it is a normal meeting (£14) with The Reverend Cannon Martin Poll, Cannon Chaplin of St Georges, and Domestic Chaplain to HM The Queen , if you wish to attend names to President no later than 21stFebruary.
  • Colin Rayner had been approved by council to become an associate member and if nobody objects he will be added to the circulation list. It was suggest a previous Mayor might also like to become an associate member and it was agreed this should be followed up.
  • President mentioned the Clean-up for the Queen campaign that is being held on the 6th March, he is getting involved with the Eton Boys
  •  Secretary had nothing to say again
  • Fred King District Governor gave a talk on his year so far and some future events including the conference that is a sell-out. He commented how interesting it is to see how different clubs operate.
  • President gave the vote of thanks and said Fred is welcome at any time.
  • Junior Vice President mentioned the new name badges we are ordering.
  •  Sergeant of Arms mentioned several dates in history and fined himself for not having the dates of District conference.
  •  The next meeting will be on 22nd  February and Adam Afriyie will be the speaker and Laurence will collect the money.
 
 
 Meeting 27 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 8th February 2016
  •  Money Taker and Grace Chris Simon (who kindly stepped in)
  • Neil read out the apologies,
  • Guests:Bryan Preston( Associate Member) Brian Lewis, Sunita Kholi, Pauline Walker ( speaker) Colin Meads
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • Greetings from other Clubs Katharina had been to a toy fayre in Germany and had visited a German Rotary club that meet in her hotel (sorry I forgot the name of the club)
  • Birthdays Philip Turner 9th
  • The almoner said he was amazed that everybody was at the meeting and no muscle strains after all the dancing on Saturday. President John Handcock had been in hospital which appears to be a planned operation.
  • Club draw was won by Brian Lewis
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Thanks all those people who attended Presidents night on Saturday, it all went well and a good time was had by all.
  • Members were reminded it was very important to give their apologises to Neil by 8.30am on the day of the meeting as the hotel are tightening up over numbers , it will get to the point where people who do not apologise will have to pay.
  • Any other takers for the Longest Meeting to him.
  • Board going around for helpers at the Ascot race day on 27thApril, or names to Richard the more the merrier.
  • Board will be coming around for the evening meeting on 29thFebruary or names to Paul for the two part meeting.
  •  Secretary had nothing to say?
  • We then had a very interesting talk by Pauline Walker who is director of Swimming at Electric Eels swimming club that meet here in Windsor. It is a club for people with Downs Syndrome and is the only club of its type in England. Most of the club had not heard of the club and Guy who gave the vote of thanks will seek his committee’s thoughts on a donation.
  • Bernard mention the stream Railway trip that is now sold out.
  • Sergeant of Arms was absent probably recovering from the weekend.
  •  The next meeting will be on 15th February and Fred King District Governor will give his presentation that he could not give last time and Katharina will collect the money for her first time.

 
 
 Meeting 26 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 1st February 2016
  •  Money Taker and Grace Chris Clark
  • Neil read out the apologies, The President was glad to be back and was sorry the Vice President started a minute late at the last meeting.
  • Guests:Bryan Preston( Associate Member) Brian Lewis
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • No Greetings from other Clubs
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner said we were all pleased to see the President back on his feet after his knee operation.
  • Club draw was won by Bryan Preston
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Any other takers for the longest meeting, some golfers are going and the President is going at 6.00am part of the meeting.
  • Colin and the President attended the re-opening of the hotel and had a very pleasant evening.
  • Everything is set up for the Presidents night and he is looking forward to seeing everybody there.
  • A letter was read out from HRH Prince Edward Earl of Wessex thanking us for a wonderful meeting when he attended, the President and Colin got a special mention.
  • Details of the evening meeting on 29th February will be sent out with these notes and a board will be circulated.
  • We had a notice from Maidenhead Rotary club about The Got Talent evening this Friday
  • Secretary mentioned the Youth speak event that evening in Slough if anybody wished to join Jon Davey, he had the details.
  • The Chairman of committees that were present gave a quick update on the notes that had already been circulated, two dates of note
  •  9th March possible careers Fayre at WBS
  •  23rd April Stroke Awareness in Boots
  •  The President mentioned the notes that had kindly been sent out by Ron about the proposed changes to this year’s Fayre, The President hoped everybody in the club would get involved and after the first meeting of the committee jobs would be disturbed along with time scales. It is a great event but just needs a few tweaks.
  • Sergeant of Arms had some very interesting facts of things in history that had taken place this day. He did try to fine a few people but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.
  •  The next meeting will be on 8th February and Pauline Walker from Swimming Electric will be the speaker and Jonathan Davey will collect the money
 
 
 Windsor and Eton Rotary Club Meeting 25 held on 25th January 2016 at the Castle Hotel
  • The Meeting was chaired by the Vice President Richard Kidson as President Paul Bayley was having an operation on his knee.
  • Money Taker and Grace, Ralph Cooper.
  • Colin Coombs read out the apologies.
  • Speaker: - Rtn Adrian Stabbins assisted by his wife Veronica speaking about their latest visits to India to support Polio eradication.
  • Guests: Brian Lewis and Veronica Stabbins
  • Visiting Rotarians, Fred King District Governor from RC Burnham Beeches, John Headley from RC Gerrards Cross and Christine Hoffart from RC Grimstad Norway.
  • Birthdays: - None
  •  Almoner Robert Pickles reported that he was recovered from his recent kidney stone removal- very painful! And of course advised that President Paul had had further surgery to his knee and would no longer be selected for playing for Bristol Rovers!
  • Early Leavers:- David Osmond left early to attend Olive Berry’s funeral.
  • Bob Heybourn won this week’s raffle which was drawn by visiting Rtn Christine Hoffart.
  • Announcements:- RK advised that Council had recently approved the Associate Membership of John Halsey & Brian Preston. There were no objections to this from the members.
  • RK also read out a thank you card sent to the Club from retiring waitress Josie Gibbs for her leaving presents and being invited to sit on the top table with HRM Prince Edward at the last meeting.
  • Speaker Adrian Stabbins then gave a very interesting and informative presentation with visuals about the work Rotary was undertaking in India. It was very rewarding to see the amount of good work that both local and overseas Clubs were doing to improve the deprived areas.
  • Ron Lewandowski then gave the vote of thanks.
  • The Sergeant at Arms fined the Vice President for starting the meeting I minute late and for not allowing for questions after the speaker.
  • Next meeting is Monday 1st February with President Paul Bayley back in the chair.
  • The meeting will be held in The Windsor Suite.
  • The speaker has yet to be confirmed. This may become a Business Meeting.
  • The Secretary will advise.
  • Money collector and grace Chris Clark.
  • The Vice President closed the meeting in the normal way.
 
 
 Meeting 24 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 18th  January 2016
  •  Money Taker and Grace Richard Carleton
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests:HRH The Earl of Wessex (Honorary Member), Christine Heybourn, (President Windsor & Eton Inner Wheel) Diana Gorton ( Inner Wheel) Josie Gibbs (Waitress), Robert Miles (Theatre Royal) Sir James Perowne ( Governor Windsor Castle) Tim Roberts (HRH’s Private Secretary) Martin Clark (RPO) Brian Lewis (Potential new member), Brian Preston (Bob Heybourn), Hilary Turner, Ross Hargrove (Guy Barlow)
  • Visiting Rotarians, President of Windsor St George Richard Cox
  • Greetings from other Clubs, Ron and Bernard had enjoyed a meeting of the Lanzarote branch of the Windsor and Eton Rotary Club
  • Birthdays None
  • The almoner himself had been in hospital and was making good progress
  • Club draw was won by Neil another bottle we owe
  • The President mentioned the following:
  • Any outstanding cheques for Presidents night would be appreciated
  • Any other names for the Queens Garden Party to him by tonight then President would make the draw
  • Meeting being held tonight for all club members to discuss possible changes to the Summer Fayre at Presidents office 6.00pm
  • President asked if anybody had any photos of the 110thChapel service so Eric could have them for the district newsletter
  • President then made a presentation to Josie for her years of service and for looking after so well, we gave her a radio, mobile phone, handbook and afternoon tea at the Shard, Josie was very pleased with her gifts.
  • Secretary had nothing to say at this meeting
  • The President introduced Robert Miles from the Theatre Royal who gave a very interesting talk on his acting and directing career and told us about what is happening at the theatre. Geoff gave a very good vote of thanks
  • The President then presented a club tie and Lapel pin to HRH The Prince Edward , Earl of Wessex , Geoff made a remark about perhaps the President did not like the tie the Prince was wearing
  •  Sergeant of Arms was in a very good mood and did not fine anybody, and gave some interesting facts of things that took place this day in history.
  •  Uma then presented the Prince with two prescriptions that were made out for the Prince when Uma was the pharmacist in Windsor, the Prince joked that he would not be telling us what was on the prescriptions
  • The next meeting will be on 25th January and Adrian Stabbins will be the speaker and Ralph Cooper will collect the money
  • The Sergeant at Arms missed the members who went back for seconds
 
 

 Meeting 23 Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 4th January 2016

  •  Money Taker A Benge and Grace
  • The President welcomes everybody and wished all members and their families a Happy New Year and hoped everybody had a good Christmas and New Year.
  • Colin read the apologies as Neil was away
  • No Guests or visiting Rotarians
  • Birthdays David Burch (8th)
  • Almoner news Philip Turner has a toe problem and cannot drive at the moment but is well besides this. Terry has a cold. Bob is going into hospital next Monday to dissolve a kidney stone unless the herbal remedial Jon Davey suggested works before then. President is in hospital on 20thfor knee operation but hopes only to miss a week.
  • Raffle won by Laurence
  • President said that £400 was collected for Josie and she is buying a DAB radio , phone and hopefully enough left for a weekend away , these would be presented to her on the 18th Jan .  Thames Hospice are looking for volunteers especially to work in their shops anybody interested please see President.
  • President read out a letter from District Governor Fred King wishing us a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Round table collected over £4,000 with the sleigh around the houses which was excellent and the President thanked those who had been out collecting, Adrian Stabbins backed up the president’s comments by saying how enjoyable and beneficial it all was. The President thanked those who had replied about Presidents night and said places were still available. Due to Jon’s work Slough Rotary Club were going to host the Youth Speak zone final.
  • Secretary had a board going round for the meeting on the 18thJan as we need to have names etc. for the visit. The Chapel service to celebrate 110 years of Rotary made a collection of £257
  • The next meeting will be on 11th January, speaker Chris Simon and Money Collector David Burch
  • The Sergeant at Arms decided as it was the season of goodwill not too fine anybody , the President said he had been back to London to take a picture of the MG with the Windsor and Eton rally board and wondered if he could now get his £1 back?
  • The President apologised for finishing the meeting 8 minutes early.
 
 
 

Meeting 22 - Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 7th December

  • Money Taker Neil Aufflick who also said grace.
  • The President welcomes everybody to what could have been there 10 Rotary event in a week.
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests Michael Cadwallader, known to a lot of us, Michael lives in Eton and used to run the Bakery in Eton.
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • No birthdays
  • Almoner asked us all to sign a card.
  • Ron won the raffle but his bottle was given to Chris Simon as he was owed one, Derek suggested Ron collect one from Douglas.
  • The President outlined the previous week
  • Monday Evening Meeting at Eton College Design and Drawing School then The George for supper, a very enjoyable evening enjoyed by all including the 2 heads of the departments.
  • Tuesday 140 OAP taken to Squires for their annual shopping trip.
  • Wednesday Rotary ramblers when on their monthly ramble, walk and cake enjoyed by those who attended. Thanks to Bob Pickles
  • Thursday, Colin went out collecting with Round Table on the Sleigh
  • Friday , you could of gone to the Theatre Royal for the Panto or to Sonning for the Theatre , both were very good , thanks to Richard Carleton and Bernard for arranging the theatre.
  • Saturday Street Collection, good presence in KEC, Thanks to Derek for new tree and outfit, about £400 collected.
  • Sunday, Meet Up group in Esquires, 3 outsiders visited good turnout from Rotary a very good thing to do must follow this up. Sunday Evening a few went to College Chapel Carol service, which was excellent.
  • The President confirmed the Earl of Wessex would visit us on the 18th January and the Speaker would be from the Theatre Royal.
  • Both President and secretary thanked all those involved in the Scholars visit which was well received by the Scholars
  • Secretary mentioned the requests for Leave of Absence from Philip Reynolds (6 Month) and Bernard (21st December to 25th January). At the district meeting we were presented with a certificate by Rotary International for our contribution to Polio Plus.
  • The President introduced Terry who gave a very interesting and informative talk both on his Presidents year 1976-1977 and other charitable activities that he had been involved in. At the beginning of Terry’s year the club had 51 members. It sounded a very busy year. Terry illustrated his talk with programmes etc.
  • The vote of Thanks was given by Chris Simon who joined a few years after Terry’s year but remembered a few of the events especially the Grove House project. The club thanked Terry in the usual way.
  • The District Carol Service is on Sunday at 3.00pm at St Edwards Church 44 Alma Rd Windsor.

Money collector next week is Paul Lock, meeting is a Fellowship meeting when a presentation will be made to Josie as it will be her last meeting.

NO Sergeant at Arms, but the President took £1 off Derek for not having the right time in his car.

 


Rotarians and their partners enjoying the welcome of the newly refurbished George in Eton.

Meeting 21 – 5th Monday hosted by Eton College D&T and Art Departments and afterwards at the George

President’s subsequent letter

Dear All , no reason to do notes but just to say thanks to all those who came to last night’s meeting at Eton , I learnt something and the two Heads of department from Drawing Schools and Design were very good and gave up their time freely . The food at the George was excellent ( thank you Bernard) and it was a very good atmosphere even if at the beginning seats were a little sparse .

  • OAP Shopping tonight(1st December)
  • Santa Sleigh started this week.
  • Collecting on Saturday in Windsor rota has gone out
  • Carol service at Eton main Chapel on Sunday 6.00pm start, be in about 5.40pm for best seats if anybody is interested.
  • Speaker next week is Terry Kinsley and money collector is Neil Aufflick

Have a good week!

 

Meeting 20 - Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 23th November

  • Money Taker Terry Kinsley, stood in for Laurence who is still poorly, Terry also said grace
  • The President made the club aware that Adrian, Veronica and their Son Richard had been made Paul Harris Fellows at the WSG meeting last week proposed by Judith Diment for their work with Polio Plus
  • Neil read out the apologies
  • Guests Janet Walker Bursar of Eton College and Greg Father in Law Roy Spackman
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • Bob Heybourn brought greetings from WSG where he attended last week.
  • No birthdays
  • Chris Simon was an early leaver
  • Almoner reported Laurence had been very poorly but was now on the mend
  • Chris Simon won the raffle and is owed a bottle
  • The President asked for any more names for Presidents night.  , we have 129 OAP for Christmas shopping, list has been sent out if any other drivers very pleased to hear from them.  Youth speak was held on Thursday and Jon and all those involved where thanked it was a very good evening with a good standard achieved. The President thanked all those who attended the very good Chapel Service on Sunday, it was very good. On Saturday we are entertaining the Scholars with visits to Eton and Windsor Castle. With his weekly bulletin the President will send out details of the Santa Sleigh schedule and hoped we would get involved with this.
  • Secretary had no business
  • Bernard mentioned the visit to Drawing and Design schools at Eton which would be our 5th Monday meeting, names to him, buffet at the George afterwards. Will be a good meeting, still space.
  • The President then introduced Janet Walker the Bursar of Eton College who gave a very enlightening talk on the way Eton works and her role in College life. It was a very interesting talk and even questions were asked.
  • Colin gave the vote of thanks, and thanked Janet for allowing the President to attend meetings etc.
  • The Sergeant at Arms fined the President again, but thanks to Janet’s great talk he was let off.
  • The President mentioned the meeting at Esquires on the 6th December and Thanked Martyn and Diana for their book gifts which was reported in the local press

Money collector next week is Richard Kidson, meeting at Eton in Pauls Offices at 7.15pm for a tour of Drawing Schools and design, followed by supper at the George. The week after meeting as normal at the Castle Hotel.

 

Meeting 19 -Business meeting Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 16th November

  • Money Taker David Wheeler and Grace Colin Coombs
  • Neil read out the apologies, another good turn out this week
  • No guests
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • No greetings from other clubs
  • Birthdays , Eric Carr (19th)
  • Almoner found out this lunch time that Terry and Laurence were not well
  • Neil won the raffle
  • The President asked for any more names for Presidents night.  , we have 129 OAP for Christmas shopping, list will be sent out early next week. Reminder about the Mayor Christmas supper on the 4th December. Despite Ron’s comments it would be good to support the longest Rotary meeting next year, more details to follow.  Youth speak is on Thursday please do come if you can.Thier is a District meeting on Monday, Colin and Bernard are going and the President hopes to join them.
  • Secretary had sent a board around about the 110th celebration service at Lower Chapel Eton and 14 had put down their names, any more names to Colin.
  • Bernard mentioned the visit to Drawing and Design schools at Eton which would be our 5th Monday meeting, names to him , buffet at the George afterwards.
  • Special General meeting, Bernard was accepted as President for 2016/17 , Colin would be secretary next year along with David O as treasurer as yet no President for 2017/18, it would be good for somebody to come forward to we have continuity.
  • Business Meeting then followed, all reports had been circulated expect the International one which is attached to this email.
  • Thanks to all for covering all shifts for street collection it was agreed we should get a good tree and new Father Christmas outfit Derek would arrange.
  • The Sergeant at Arms fined the President again, and the President mentioned Derek’s phone for which he got fined.

Money collector next week is Laurence Slatter and the Speaker is Janet Walker Bursar of Eton College, Paul hoped for a good turnout.

 

Meeting 18 - Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 9th November

  • Money Taker Uma Patel and Grace Colin Coombs
  • Neil read out the apologies, good turn out this week
  • Guests Suzanne Young, Robert Briggs who has brought along Mike Scrivener, our speaker for the second time had to cancel at the last minute.
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • No greetings from other clubs
  • Birthdays, Laurence Slatter (12th) also for last Ralph Cooper(7th) as he was stuck in Spain due to the weather
  • After the long list last week no Almoner news this week
  • No one claimed the first winning raffle ticket but a winner on the second pull.
  • The President asked for any more names for Presidents night.  , Thanked Bernard and David for a great quiz night which was very well received. Reminded people about the Lower Chapel church service on the 22nd November, OAP shopping on 1st December. President and a few others represented the club at the town Remembrance parade
  • To put the web site, twitter and Facebook to the test we have arranged a coffee morning on Sunday 6th December at Esquire where we will be encouraging people to come along to get to know more about Rotary .Watch this space.
  • The President had mentioned a few things the secretary was going to say but he reminded council members they is a meeting tonight at Paul’s office.
  • The Sergeant at Arms was on fine form especially as he fined the President

Money collector next week is David Wheeler and it is a business meeting and and Special General meeting.

 
 

Meeting 17 - Held at the Castle Hotel on Monday 2nd November

  • Money Taker and Grace - Philip Turner
  • Neil read out the apologies, a few it must have been the fog?
  • Guests Suzanne Young, our speaker had to cancel at the last minute but it will be re-arranged.
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • No greetings from other clubs
  • Birthdays, Ralph Cooper (7th) but he is stuck in Spain due to the weather
  • The Almoner will not go away again as he had a lot to report , good to see Philip Turner at the meeting , David O is recovering well from his hand operation and Abi baby is Camille Esme
  • The President gave last week’s raffle prize to Colin and this week’s prize was won by Terry.
  • The President asked for any more names for Presidents night. Whilst watching X factor last night be had google a good number of Rotary web sites and ours stood out as one of the better ones and certainly more up to date than most. It is important that we keep the web site up to date and if any members in post have not had their photo taken we must arrange this. The President thank Ron and his committee for their hard work in connection with the web page.
  • To put the web site , twitter and facebook to the test we have arranged a coffee morning on Sunday 6th December at Esquire where we will be encouraging people to come along to get to know more about Rotary .Watch this space.
  • The Presidents is hoping to go to Heathrow to help the Children in Need collection any others to join him are welcome.
  • Bernard reminded us about the Quiz on Wednesday
  • The Sergeant at Arms was away

Money collector next week is Uma Patel and the speaker is Elaine Temple, Community Fundraiser , The Dash Charity

 

Meeting 16 - Business meeting Held at The Castle Hotel on Monday 26th October

  • Money Taker and Grace Chris Simon
  • The secretary read out a long list of apologies.
  • No Guests
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • No Greetings from other clubs
  • No Birthdays,
  • It was good to see David Osman back after his small hand operation; he sat next to the President so he could cut David’s meat
  • Colin Coombs won the raffle, bottle to come later
  • The President read out the thank you letter from the Mayor , gave a few details about the Church Service on the 29th November at Eton College to celebrate 110 years if Rotary.
  • The President and 4 members went to meet the Scholars evening which was very good with 13 scholars this year, we hope one will speak at the club and as many as possible will come to the Windsor and Eton tour day.
  • The town centre Carol service will be on 8th December, do come to listen to the President do a reading.
  • Adrian asked if people could save their stamps for him
  • Good turnout for the quiz night on 4th November, 41 club helping with numbers at the Theatre night on the 4th December. Well Done Bernard
  • Youth Speaks is on the 19/11/15 names for helpers to Jon Davey
  • A very good talk and presentation was given by Ron, Katharina and Greg on our web site , Twitter and Facebook , all of which will help us and Rotary in general spreading the good word. It was a great presentation and Katharina sent out her talk to all members after the meeting. On the back of Twitter and Facebook we propose to publicise a get to know Rotary coffee morning the first Sunday in December in Esquire coffee shop.
  • The President thanked the three of them for all their hard work with the web site and presentation.
  • The Sergeant at Arms was on fine form with a few very interesting facts about this day in history.

Money collector next week is L Slatter and the speaker Robert Miles from the Theatre Royal

 

Meeting 15 Business meeting Held at The Castle Hotel on Monday 19th October

  • Money Taker and Grace Philip Reynolds
  • The secretary read out the apologies not as many as last week
  • Guests The Mayor of Windsor and Maidenhead Cllr Eileen Quick, her driver , Suzanne Young , Elaine New, Emma Sheppard( Observer photographer)
  • No Visiting Rotarians
  • Chris brought greetings from his previous club where he had carried on celebrating his 50 years in Rotary, Katharina had been to Slough Rotary
  • No Birthdays, David Osman has had a small hand operation so is out of circulation for a couple of weeks.
  • The President asked if any members were going to join him at the Remberance Parade, if so please let him know so he can return the form to RBWM, we have been missed of the list of wreath layers but the secretary will write to get our name added. WSG are obtaining the wreaths. Inner Wheel ladies have invited us to lunch at the Castle hotel after the service, names please to Christine. Names to the President please for drivers for OAP shopping on 1st December.
  • Bob Heybourn told us about a People to places event on 7th November details will be circulated.
  • The President introduced the Mayor who gave a very interesting talk on her life and life as Mayor, her chosen charity for the year was Thames Hospice care and two events to note Afternoon tea on 28th October at the Guildhall and a dinner dance next year.
  • The vote of Thanks was given by Richard Kidson who thanked the Mayor for her support at various events Rotary organises and an enlightening speech.
  • Next week This is a fellowship meeting but with a talk and presentation by Ron and his team on our web site and how to use it , please bring your I pads along. As Ron needs a bit more time the meal might be slightly rushed.
  • The Sergeant ar Arms was very tired so will be carried over to next week when he will fine himself for being late.

Money collector next week is Chris Simon

 

Meeting 14 - Business meeting Held at The Castle Hotel on Monday 12th October

  • Money Taker and Grace Adrian Stabbins
  • The secretary read out the apologies from a lot of members (probably due to the meeting being a business meeting?)
  • No Guests or Visiting Rotarians
  • Paul, Colin, Geoff and Ralph brought greetings from Maidenhead Rotary who they visited last week , Terry had been to Ashford ( Middlesex not Kent ) Rotary club and Richard Carleton and Bernard had been to Windsor St George. Ron nearly made it to Loddon Vale club. Members were encouraged to visit other clubs as it is always very interesting seeing how other club work.
  • No Birthdays, Martyn and his wife had visited Philip Turner who was very pleased to see them both. Guy had obtained an email address of Eric Carr’s son so Eric can now receive all the Rotary news and we hope to see him soon.
  • The President had received a thank you letter from Inner Wheel thanking us for our donation to them for Christine helping with the catering at the golf. James Lang, Neil Parsonage, and Sharon Westby want to be considered for associate membership. Martyn has kindly agreed to ensure every member gets a copy of the Rotary magazine. Please do submit pieces to Ron for the web site especially Past Presidents telling a few stories about their year.
  • There is going to be a Church Service at Eton College Lower Chapel on Sunday 22nd November to celebrate 110 years of Rotary.
  • It is difficult to get up to date information on members from any Rotary data bases so we will be issuing a form asking for details so we have a good records ourselves please do fill these in when they are issued.
  • All committee reports were as those issued prior to the meeting, Richard now had a date for Youth Speak which is 19/11/15 at Trevelyn School. Guy would check on the charity status of Swan Support.
  • Street Collection would be the 5th December and OAP shopping on 1st December.
  • No meeting of Interact as yet this year but it is hoped one would be held this week, looking for a few more members from WSG to get involved.
  • Geoff mentioned about Hill Children in Thailand and this would be referred to both youth and international committees.
  • Next week we have two people coming along who are interested in learning more about Rotary and the Mayor of RBWM is joining us.

Money collector next week is Philip Reynolds.


 
Meeting 13 held at the Castle Hotel Windsor Monday 28th September
  • Money Taker and Grace by Andrew Panter
  • The secretary read out the apologies from 5 Members
  • There were a considerable number of guests who wanted to celebrate Chris Clarks 50 years in Rotary, these were as follows
  • Chris Clark’s Pam Clark, Trevor & Sue Walden, Paul Clark, Eileen MacLennan, plus Mike Hooton (Katharina), George Shields (Colin Coombs), Elaine Hawkes, Christine Heybourn, Denny Kidd, Freddie Kidson, Eileen Osmond, Debbie Parrish, Joan Simon, Veronica Stabbins, Marilyn Cox, Jean Davis,
  • Visiting Rotarians Fred King (District Governor) Richard Cox, Mike Brown, David Davis (Windsor St George), Joe Lecky, Derek MacLannan, Robert Short (Hanwell & Northfields), Keith Payne (Heston & Isleworth)
  • Chris Simon had given a talk at a local club( but the President did not write it down)
  • It was very good to see Philip Turner back at a meeting after his recent illness, although he was still waiting for his foot to be sorted out.
  • No birthdays or early leavers
  • The raffle was won by one of Chris Clark's guest (bottle will arrive soon)
  • The President then gave a brief overview of Chris’s time in both Hanwell and Windsor and Eton Rotary club , it was very impressive. Fred King the District Governor then read out a letter from RI President and presented Chris with a certificate to mark his 50 years in Rotary.
  • The President then presented Chris with a small gift from the club that he hoped both Chris and Pam would enjoy.
  • Chris gave a very moving response and thanked both the clubs for the wonderful time he has had in Rotary and expressing how much he has got out of Rotary and the friendship with the members.
  • Richard reminded members about booking for District Conference; he also thanked Bernard and Elaine for an excellent tour of the brewery and curry evening.
  • Due to the lateness of the meal Fred King offered not to speak at the meeting but would come back in the New Year, although as we both had banners these were exchanged. The President said Fred was welcome at any time.
  • Next week is a scatter week and the President encouraged members to attend another club meeting it was very good to see how other clubs run meetings. There is a council meeting next Monday in Paul’s office.
  • Next week is a scatter week and the President encouraged members to attend another club meeting it was very good to see how other clubs run meetings. There is a council meeting next Monday in Paul’s office.

The 12thOctober will be a business meeting with Bob Pickles collecting the money.

The Sergeant at Arms would save his fines until the meeting on the 12th October

 

Meeting 12 - Windsor and Eton Rotary Club Meeting held on 21st September 2015 at the Castle Hotel

  • Money Taker and Grace, Greg Parrish.
  • Neil Aufflick read out the apologies.
  • Guest Speaker: - Lisa Hunter RC Maidenhead Bridge, speaking about District Conference 2016.
  • Visiting Rotarian, Alan Cobb from RC Gerrards Cross.
  • Birthdays: - Katharina Bareiss 24thand Neil Aufflick 25th.
  • In the absence of the Almoner, Terry Kinsley reported that Eric Carr had not been well but was now feeling better. Eric had complained that he was not receiving info on Rotary. RK will take up with Guy Barlow & Andrew Panter.
  • Ron Lewandowski won this week’s raffle - again!!
  • The Secretary advised that only Jonathan Davey had responded re the complementary tickets for the Windsor Festival and unless anyone came forward he would receive both sets.
  • Speaker Lisa Hunter then showed a video about the Conference to be held at Savill Court, and gave a detailed presentation about the conference events and to various packages available.RK who is coordinating the event for the club visit reported that he had had a good response from members wishing to attend. He will now circulate an email setting out the various options available.
  • In order to take advantage of the early booking discount, applications and payments were to be received by the Club before the end of the month.
  • Eric Malam then gave the vote of thanks.
  • Bernard confirmed that the Visit to Windsor & Eton Brewery would commence at 6.30pm on Wednesday. This would then be followed by an Indian meal at the Binoy in Dedworth Road.
  • Next meeting is Monday 28th September with President Paul Bayley back in the chair.
  • This is a special lunch meeting to be attended by the District Governor and celebrate Chris Clark’s 50 years in Rotary. Wives/partners and guests are invited.
  • Money collector and grace Andrew Panter.

The Vice President closed the meeting in the normal way.

 

Meeting 11 - Windsor and Eton Rotary club Meeting held on 14th September 2015 At the Castle Hotel

  • Money Taker and Grace Abi Lewis , Grace was longer this week than last week.
  • The secretary read out the apologies
  • Guests Ingrid Fernandes and Liz Edwards from LEGOLAND Windsor
  • Visiting Rotarian Mike Judd from Cookham Bridge
  • No Birthdays
  • Almoner mentioned Philip Turner who was still not well, Martyn Gorton is going to visit Philip next week.
  • The president asked people present not only to toast the Queen but also being the longest reigning Monarch.
  • Uma won this week’s raffle
  • The President mentioned the following
  • The flights are out for the Presidents weekend in Kefalonia probably at their cheapest so do book as Easy Jet are the only carrier to fly at this time of year.
  • Asking for volunteers for a collection on the 26th during the procession of illuminated cruisers on the Thames Money collected will go to RNLI
  • If anybody who had a charity that could use surplus items of boys clothing please let him know as he had a lot at the Eton Laundry
  • Would all chairman of committees please send in pieces to Ron and Greg so something from each committee can go on the web site please.
  • Had information about Rotary Foundation Christmas Cards 
  • Secretary asked for people who might like to go to the Scholars evening Badgemore Park Golf Club, Tuesday 20th October. I think it’s 7pm for 7.30pm but he will check. £20 per person Names to Colin
  • A very good detailed and interesting talk was given by Ingrid and Liz all about LEGOLAND. An offer of a visit to the park was made and we will look at this and suggest a few dates. Rotary and LEGOLAND would like to work together in the future. Ron asked a question and Greg gave the vote of thanks.
  • Bernard asked for final names for the Brewery and Curry night that was also open to other halves.
  • Next meeting is 21st September with Richard in the chair as the President is on Bayley Island and it is Lisa Hunter talking about the district conference? Money collector and grace Greg.

The President closed the meeting by telling everybody there are more Lego bricks in the world than people.

 

Meeting 10 - 7th September at Castle Hotel

  • Money Taker and short grace given by Tony Monk
  • The Guest speaker was Sue Pressey from the Queen Elizabeth Foundation
  • Visiting Rotarian is Ken Walker from Holderness Rotary Club who is a friend of Adrian Stabbins
  • Eric Malam gave greetings from several clubs during his meeting on his cruise
  • No birthdays or Almoner news( post note Philip Turner is awaiting an operation on his foot and is unable to walk far or drive at the moment)
  • Ron won the club raffle back to a bottle this week
  • President mentioned the Rotary Clubs of Marlow and Marlow Thames Santa fun run on 6th December for any keen runners. Thanked members for their responses to the collection of the regalia and other Rotary bits most of the buckets , etc.  are now at Chris Clarks yard , and it was agreed that any members who had pieces of regalia that has been given to the club ibn their possession should hold onto these for the time being. President thanked the secretary for the precise of the District meeting which was send to all members, David Osmond commented that it was very helpful to get this. Noted that the GB&I membership of Rotarians has dropped below 50,000 for the first time.
  • Secretary reminded everybody about the meeting on 28th September when we would be celebrating 50 year of Chris Clark being a Rotarian , names to the secretary please.
  • A very interesting talk given by Sue Pressey about the QEF based in Surrey, more details of their work are on this link http://qef.org.uk/  .Andrew Panter gave a very good vote of thanks.
  • Sergeant at Arms fined a few people ,including Tony for the shortest grace ever ,and David was in a sombre mood as he had just sold his boat.

Next Meeting on the 14th the speaker is Ingrid Fernandes , speakers friend is Greg , and money collector is Abi.

 

Meeting 9 - Meeting 7th September at Castle Hotel

  • Money Taker and short grace given by Tony Monk
  • The Guest speaker was Sue Pressey from the Queen Elizabeth Foundation
  • Visiting Rotarian is Ken Walker from Holderness Rotary Club who is a friend of Adrian Stabbins
  • Eric Malam gave greetings from several clubs during his meeting on his cruise
  • No birthdays or Almoner news( post note Philip Turner is awaiting an operation on his foot and is unable to walk far or drive at the moment)
  • Ron won the club raffle back to a bottle this week
  • President mentioned the Rotary Clubs of Marlow and Marlow Thames Santa fun run on 6th December for any keen runners. Thank members for their responses to the collection of the regalia and other Rotary bits most of the buckets , etc.  are now at Chris Clarks yard , and it was agreed that any members who had pieces of regalia that has been given to the club ibn their possession should hold onto these for the time being. President thanked the secretary for the precise of the District meeting which was send to all members, David Osman commented that it was very helpful to get this. Noted that the GB&I membership of Rotarians has dropped below 50,000 for the first time.
  • Secretary reminded everybody about the meeting on 28th September when we would be celebrating 50 year of Chris Clark being a Rotarian , names to the secretary please.
  • A very interesting talk given by Sue Pressey about the QEF based in Surrey, more details of their work are on this link http://qef.org.uk/  . Andrew Panter gave a very good vote of thanks.
  • Sergeant at Arms fine a few people , including Tony for the shortest grace ever , and David was in a sombre mood as he had just sold his boat.
  • Next Meeting on the 14th the speaker is Ingrid Fernandes , speakers friend is Greg , and money collector is Abi.
 

Meeting 8 - The meeting was held at the Castle Hotel as was a business meeting

  • Good turnout for a business meeting
  • No guests , visiting Rotarians or greetings from other clubs, Colin Coombs and Bob Heybourn celebrate birthdays on the 29th August , Bob also won the raffle.
  • Grace by Terry Kingsley , no early leavers
  • President reminded everybody about the special meeting on 28th September when we celebrate with Chris Clark his 50 years in Rotary. It will be a normal meeting but with other halves and the District Governor will be present.
  • The President apologised for his keenness and the slight mix up over the 3 diaries , this is being sorted out and it is hoped the best place for any Rotary information will be the web site,
  • President is wanting an indication of numbers for the Presidents weekend in Kefalonia . Following the clearance of David Shaw shed he had a number of tee shirts , jumpers ties etc that were available for a small donation to charity , after this the items would be recycled.
  • Ron has produced a media form and this should be used for any press release , with a copy to the President , Ron and Greg.
  • The secretary mentioned the election if the 2018-19 District Governor , a voter was taken and the long standing Rotarian would get our vote.
  • The treasurer had sent out up to date accounts which were all in order . A discussion took place about the surplus amount in the members account , then a vote was taken and it was agreed a £20 discount would be given on the Presidents night to all members , the raffle at lunch would continue . A review of the members fund would take place in 6 months’ time and other options would be looked at .
  • Club services report as sent out previously
  • We had some good feedback on the donation we made to the boy in Old Windsor
  • International Committee are trying to sort out the donation to the Nepal disaster this is likely to be through Farringdon Rotary club. A club from Mumbai is looking to us to help them with a project that would allow  us to set up a matching grant more to follow. Met the scholars evening is on 20th October at Badgemore Golf club at a cost of £20, names to be taken . We do have a few dates for a scholar to talk to the club.
  • Youth committee are donating £1500 to the Windsor sea cadets
  • Sergeant at Arms fined the President for a few mistakes but did not fine David Osman for laying on the floor in the middle of the meeting
  • Next meeting 7th September when the speaker is Sue Plessey from QEF Money taker Tony Monk.

Best Wishes and enjoy I hope a sunny Bank Holiday weekend - Paul

 

Meeting 7 -The meeting was held at the Castle Hotel with Rotarian David Osmond as speaker .

  • Numbers were a little low and the President thought this was because he had returned from his holidays or that the speaker was David?
  • Several members had been on cruises and Ron had missed a rotary meeting on his ship.
  • Eric had spoken to Philip Turner who was chasing Grandchildren at the time and was on the mend.
  • For the benefit of David Burch the President allowed jackets to be removed if required.
  • The President reminded council members there was a meeting in his offices that evening .
  • Guy asked the members present to support his suggestion of giving £500 to the Windsor festival this was carried by all present . His was also looking for anybody who might have contacts in New York as his daughter was visiting and needed somewhere to stay. ( I could not repeat the phase he used for his daughter).
  • David gave a very interesting talk on the War Graves commission and in particular on his quest to find his Uncles grave who was killed in the first world war. The talk was very well illustrated by a slide show and with live internet that enabled Abi to find the grave of one of her relatives. David was thanked by the President who mentioned he watch a film on the plane of true story about a young woman who lost three close relatives in the first world war and should the horrors of that war.
  • Sergeant at Arms had some very interesting dates to share with the club , Woodstock finished this day in 1969 and the Berlin wall was erected. He did also fine a couple of people.
  • A good lunch time was had by all.
 

Meeting 6 - FellowshipMeeting at the Castle Hotel

  • Meeting chaired by Richard Kidson Senior Vice President as President Paul Bayley still away on holiday.
  • No Guests or visiting Rotarians.
  • Adrian Stabbins brought greetings from the Woking Inner Wheel Club where he had been speaking on Polio Eradication.
  • Birthdays– Uma Patel 13th August.
  • Adrian Stabbins gave a further update on Philip Turner following speaking with him. Philip is still in hospital but his condition was now improving and he was expecting to go home shortly. 
  • Grace was said by Martin Gorton and the raffle was won by Jonathan Davey.
  • Richard Kidson circulated a letter received from Sally Stevens of the Alexander Devine Children’s Hospice thanking the club for inviting her to attend and speak at the last meeting.
  • The letter was then handed to Guy Barlow as Chairman of Community Services. His committee will now consider whether they should make a donation to their cause. 
  • Richard also gave an update on the District Conference to be held at the Savill Court Hotel Windsor Great Park on 11th & 12th March 2016.
  • A board was circulated requesting members to indicate their interest in attending.
  • The next meeting is a Speaker Meeting. The speaker is David Osmond and it will be chaired by President Paul Bayley. The money taker is Guy Barlow.
 

Meeting 5 - Speaker Meeting at the Castle Hotel

  • Meeting chaired by Richard Kidson Senior Vice President as President Paul Bayley away on holiday.
  • Speaker: Sally Stevens of Alexander Devine.
  • No Guests or visiting Rotarians.
  • No Birthdays.
  • Almoner Bob Pickles gave an update on Philip Turner. Philip is still in hospital and his condition is not improving. His wife Hilary had said any Rotarians wishing to visit him would be most welcome.If anyone wanted to stay overnight they were invited to stay in their annex and she would cook them a good breakfast! 
  • Grace was said by Eric Malam and the raffle was won by Adrian Benge.
  • Rotarian Tony Monk introduced the speaker Sally Stevens.
  • Sally then gave a very informative presentation on the background to the Alexander Devine Charity and the progress being made on their proposed new hospice at White Waltham Maidenhead. Construction is due to start in late September. 1.5 Million of the 5 million of the cost has still to be raised. 
  • The presentation included a short video and display panels were provided around the room providing further information about the charity and Architectural drawings showing details of the new building.
  • Rotarian Derek Bishop Chairman of the Fundraising Committee then gave a vote of thanks to Sally.  
  • The next meeting in a Fellowship Meeting and will be again chaired by Richard Kidson. The money taker is Martyn Gorton.
 

Meeting 4 -Fellowship Meeting at the Castle Hotel

  • No Guests or visiting Rotarians, Jon Davey gave greetings from Rotary Club of High Wycombe.
  • No Birthdays
  • The almoner gave the details of Janet Lovejoy  Funeral ( widow of Jack Lovejoy) it is on 4th Aug at 12 noon at Easthampstead .  A number of Rotarians went to Ron Skinners funeral on Friday  and Eric had received a letter from Ron’s son thanking us both for the support on the day and the card we sent. It was fitting that the wake was held in the Castle Hotel as Ron spent a lot of time at Rotary events there. Bob also had spoken to Philip turner who is still in hospital and could be for a while , we send him our best wishes.
  • The President thanked Geoff and Tony for an excellent Golf day which was enjoyed by all the golfers and will raise over a £1,000 . Chris was also thanked for the use of his gazeboes. Ron commented it was always good to do a fund raising event that could be tidied up very quickly .
  • The Senior Vice President will send out details of this year’s conference which is very local this year , somebody from district will talk about the conference at a meeting in September.
  • The President reminded members that there is a club services meeting tonight, he also thanked those people who have been working very hard to update our web site and asked all members to look at it .
  • Bernard told us about the Brewery trip , and passed on his experience with an internet banking fraud he had been on the end of when he was on a cruise, although very upsetting for Bernard and his wife it did alert the members to the problems of internet fraud.
  • Paul Lock passed on some advice to members over 65 about Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm screening
  • Adrian had a update on the WSG and WBS trip to Ecuador for which we hope to hear more in the future.
  • Richard mentioned a trip to Sonning Mill on the 4th December more details to follow.
  • The president was approached at the Fayre by the daughter of Mr Denny a past Windsor and Eton Rotarian ( he founded the Thames Valley Hospice)  asking if we could reuse his Paul Harris medal , Colin kindly collected this and had an interesting talk with her husband who has an allotment with Colin . The medal has been passed onto the chairman of the Paul Harris committee .
  • The President was going to add some culture to the fellowship meeting by reading a poem but ran out of time( saved for another day)

Next meeting the speaker is Julia Philipson from Alexander Devine, and money taker Eric Malam

 

Meeting 3 21st July 2015 - Business meeting at the Castle Hotel

  • The President gave a few facts about Ron Skinners life and a minute's silence was observed.
  • It has been another busy Rotary week, with a council meeting, the walkers enjoying 3 days of walking and partying in Dorset much enjoyed by all, and the Merry wives BBQ at Catherine Shaw’s house which was a great success.
  • The President has received news that Philip Turner is seriously ill in intensive care at Southampton Hospital , the Club wished him a speedy recovery.
  • Chris Clark made a small mistake last week about monies raised at his BBQ it was not £150 but £300 well done Chris and Pam.
  • Chris then went on to win the raffle bottle to follow.
  • The President mentioned the Rotary awards scheme , along with the Presidents citation which we will aim to achieve this year. Over the weekend the President sent out an email about a few dates and his up to date diary.
  • The President has asked Club Services to look at 3 ways in which we can encourage people to get involved with Rotary , these are associate membership , corporate membership and via the internet. One point raised at council should we have a fee for associate members, it was decided a set of rules would be put in place before this decision was made. The President, Vice President and secretary are working on this.
  • Some reports from the committees had been sent out and other committees are due to meet in the very near future. It is important everybody gets involved via the committee structure. A couple of points came out from the reports
  • After the Treasurer's report a question was asked about the amount of money in the members fund along with the money set aside for twinning. The President and Treasurer would produce an answer.
  • A few social events arranged that the President missed
  • 23rd September trip to brewery and Indian Meal , November a quiz night , 4th December trip to Sonning Theatre. 16th December Merry wives Christmas meal.
  • Tony Monk confirmed golf on Wednesday and any helpers at the golf course by 8.30am please.
  • Sergeant at Arms was away but the President fined Laurence and Ron for use of phones during the meeting.

Next meeting fellowship money taker Neil Auffilk

 

Meeting 2 13th July 2015

  • Held at the Castle Hotel , guest speaker was Gill Labrum Head of Windsor Girls School . She gave an update on life at the school( she last spoke to us in 2009) and we saw a short presentation on some of the things the girls do at the School. In thanking her we mentioned how good the three girls were at the Fayre and presented with her with the Schools Youth speak trophy.
  • Chris and Pam were thanked for the great BBQ yesterday and £300 approx. was raised shared between both clubs .
  • Chris gave greetings from his former club. And when Adrian woke up after his long trip back he gave greeting from a Rotarian from Monserrat.
  • Geoff Kidd and Chris Simon have birthdays this week
  • The President reminded members about the charity golf on the 22nd , volunteer helpers and people dining must let Tony Monk know by Wednesday this week . Always a good event and all helpers much appreciated.
  • Council meeting this evening at Paul’s office
  • The induction of Katharina Bareiss was carried out although the President again got the wrong order and nearly missed aims and objects( I will get better) Great to welcome Katharina into the club.
  • Ron mentioned the nice emails he got from the stall holders after the fayre.
  • Next meeting is a business meeting .
  • David Burch gave a few historic dates from the past the only one the President remembered was Band aid?
 

Meeting 16th July 2015

  • Held at The Olympic Suite at Dorney Rowing Lake , speaker the CEO of Dorney Ivor Lloyd who told us all about the construction of the lake and the day to day workings.
  • Bob Heybourn had attended the WGS handover meeting .
  • David O had holidayed in Switzerland and a Castricum Rotarian had joined a local Swiss club
  • President commented on the two lots of good press we got in both local papers, also a page article in the Eton News about Rotary. Hopefully this week some handover photo’s. Must keep in the press as much as we can.
  • Conference on 11th -12th March at Savill court , Richard will be co-ordinating this , good to support as local.
  • Paul handed over the Past Presidents Jewel to Geoff( as I forgot at the handover meeting)
  • Jon Davey did well with his Dragon Boat on the Lake and they came 19th( not sure out of how many?)
  • Out of interest Dustin Brown tennis player was borne in Celle got knocked out of Wimbledon on Saturday.
  • Other business
  • Derek hoped we had raised about £9,000 for the Fayre and Duck Race and thanked everybody for a great effort and a lot of fellowship.
  • Adrian made a plug for La Traviata at the Farrer Theatre this week.
  • Next meeting at the Castle Hotel , speaker Head Teacher WGS and induction of Katharina
 

(ALL fields required)