Over 70 Rotarians and friends of the Rotary Club of Thornhill and District recently celebrated the 40th anniversary of the club receiving its charter from Rotary International. The venue for this milestone event in the life of the Thornhill Club was the prestigious Drumlanrig Castle.
Those attending were welcomed to the Castle by President Gordon Steele and his wife Caroline, and to the skirl of the pipes of Gavin Dykes. Following a canapé and bubbly reception in the main hall of the castle, participants moved through to the stunningly presented castle dining room.
President Gordon welcome guests, in particular, Rotary International President Ravi Ravindran’s representative, Rotary District 1020 Governor Elect Olive Geddes. In her address to the company, Olive referred to the excellent service given by the club to communities both at home and overseas throughout its 40 year lifespan. She concluded by presenting the club with its 40th anniversary charter and proposing a toast to the club.
President Gordon also welcomed six Rotarians representing the Thornhill mother club – The Rotary Club of Dumfries. In a well-received presentation to the company, President Maureen McKerrow of the Dumfries club thanked the Thornhill club for the warmth of their welcome and offered the Thornhill club the Dumfries club’s best wishes for the future.
An excellent dinner followed courtesy of Dumfries caterers Hullaballoo.
In a varied after-dinner programme Vice President Ian Morrison introduced Past President and founder member Norman Anderson who gave a light-hearted reflection on the life and times of the club. Following Norman, Thornhill Rotarian Kirsty Bowie delivered an amusing and witty poem singling out the many personalities in the club. The evening concluded with a superb performance by Rotary Young Musician of the Year vocalist Heather O’Connor accompanied by Sam Solley. This talented duo, students at Wallace Hall Academy, were warmly received by their most appreciative audience.
Picture shows Rotarians and guests gathered on the steps of Drumlanrig Castle.