Club achievements 15/16
reports from committees
Rotary Club of Bradford
Report on Service given and Charitable giving
in Rotary Year 2015/16
This is a provisional account of the service given and / or money distributed to charities (actually sent or approved by Club Council to be sent) by members of the Rotary Club of Bradford (36 members) during the course of the Rotary year 2015/16.
The club raised over £13,500 this year from supermarket collections, social events, raffles, successful grant applications, other fundraising and members donations to Rotary Foundation. Using this and cash in hand we have dispersed over £14,500 of which over 76% went to Bradford charities. (NB these are provisional figures, a full audited account will be produced later.)
Community, Youth, Vocational & Environmental Service work in Bradford
· We have sponsored two new Interact Clubs in two local schools.(Schoolchildren introduced to and working with Rotary ideals and, with our Club’s participation and ongoing supervision, working to help the community)
· Continuing our Youth development work, we again sponsored two young people from a local inner city secondary school to attend Rotary Youth Leadership schemes.One on the Rotary Ocean Youth Trust and another on Rotary Youth Leadership Award scheme. The school matched our effort with OYT and so three young people benefited from learning self-reliance and leadership and were also introduced to the ideals of Rotary.
· In short we have therefore worked with three local schools.
· We provided financial support to “Heaton Woods Trust”, by giving £2000 to this organisation for the creation of a children’s’ playground made in natural style from local timber. We raised half the amount and successfully obtained a District Rotary Foundation Grant for the other half.
· We undertook 8 days (0900 -1800) of supermarket collections advertising the work of Rotary as well as collecting money.
· We organised a charity walk in aid of Marie Curie Hospice in Bradford raising £3000 for that cause.
· We organised a Christmas Service in Bradford Cathedral and gave the £1000 raised to the work of the Cathedral in the community.
· Together with local community groups in Thornton, we maintained two Rotary gardens. One is dedicated to the late Valerie Binney former Lord Mayor and Club member.
· Club members have undertaken 2 half day litter picks at Undercliffe Cemetary and maintained some Military graves.
We have financially supported the following community groups working in Bradford:-
Marie Curie Bradford £ 3140
Heaton Woods Trust – Childrens Play area £ 2000
Bradford Cathedral Community work £ 1006
Motor Neurone Disease Yorkshire £ 1298
Sponsor young person on OYT youth leadership week £ 550
Bradford Metropolitan Food Bank £ 500
St Johns Ambulance Bradford £ 500
Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue £ 500
Sponsor young person on RYLA youth leadership week £ 475
Theodora Childrens Trust £ 250
Mixed Ability Sports Bradford £ 200
Bradford Bulls Foundation £ 200
Cycling for All Bradford £ 200
Lord Mayors Appeal £ 200
Baildon Blister Sisters £ 200
The Edge Project, Bradford £ 50
A total of £ 11,279
International Relief and development support
· We have donated one emergency Shelter box £ 590
· Rotary District Syria relief Appeal £ 500
· Kabiro Community Education Fund (Kenya) £ 250
· Bujagli Trust £ 100
· Yorkshire School Sri Lanka £ 250
· Hope and Homes for Children £ 500
Total £ 2,190
· We have paid £1145 or over US $45 per head at current exchange rates to Rotary Foundation this year. A similar amount to sums given during the past seven years.
· (We successfully applied for a District Grant of £960 towards our work with Heaton Woods Trust.)
Total Paid to Rotary Foundation £ 1,145
Overall Club total support this Rotary year to all charities or local causes
Grand Total £14,614*
* Figures to 13 June of 2016 – full year figures will be available from Club audited Accounts in the autumn.