Council Meeting 8 March 2016

Minutes of Meeting

ROTARY CLUB OF OSSETT

MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 8th MARCH 2016

AT OSSETT COMMUNITY CENTRE

PRESENT: 9

President and in the Chair: Rtn. Graham SCOTT

Hon Treasurer Rtn John HARDY, Hon. Secretary: Rtn. Dennis ROBERTS,

Rtns. Tony SARGEANT, Marilyn MONAGHAN, Ken JOHNSON, John GREATOREX, Brenda WOOD, Trevor MITCHELL, Terry ELLIS,

APOLOGIES:

PE June DRYSDALE, VP Paul TINKER, IPP Peter WESTWOOD, Rtns. Neville OUGHTIBRIDGE, Adrian WOOD, Fay WILLIAMS, Peter WILLIAMS, Keith LISTER, Dudley WARD, Peter WHITWORTH,


MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Approved as a correct record.


MATTERS ARISING:

Ref Minute M927 1(b) Hearing Loop:

Project ‘on hold’ for the moment (see previous minutes).

Ref Minute M947: Corporate Membership

President Graham SCOTT has emailed a letter to local businesses, inviting them to a “Get to Know Us” meeting on Thursday 17 March @ 6:30 p.m.– no responses to date

Rtn Dennis ROBERTS will also extend invitation via Facebook and Twitter

Ref Minute 971: Dummy Presentation Cheque - In progress

Ref Minute 994: Club Trustees

President Graham SCOTT informed Council that Rtn Bill MUTCH has agreed serve as a Trustee.

The new Board of Trustee thus comprises:

  • The serving Club Treasurer (currently Rtn John HARDY)

  • The serving Club Secretary (Currently Rtn Dennis ROBERTS)

  • Rtn Ian RIGG

  • Rtn William T MUTCH

M995: PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Attached.

M996: SECRETARY’S REPORT: Nothing to report

M997: TREASURER’S REPORT:

Rtn John HARDY presented a summary of accounts covering two months (Jan – Feb). These were approved unanimously.

M998: HEALTH & SAFETY: No written report this month.

  1. Following the suggestion from the Centre Manager that we might consider using the large hall for our weekly meetings (see President’s Report), discussion took place regarding the pros and cons of such a move, (focusing on ease of access/evacuation v. loss of ‘atmosphere’). Council is open to the idea, and we should maybe give it a trial for one or two meetings. However, as well as the room-size issue, there are other down-sides e.g. no projection screen, no hearing loop.

It was agreed that Rtn Terry ELLIS will contact the local Fire Officer to take professional advice regarding best practice fire evacuation procedures for our group from our present meeting room (keeping the Centre Manager in the loop).

  1. Rtns Trevor MITCHELL and Terry ELLIS are meeting with the vicar of Trinity Church regarding stewarding and seating arrangements for the upcoming Musical Evening on Saturday 12 March. A H&S Risk Assessment will be carried out at this meeting.

M999: MEMBERSHIP/ATTENDANCE: No Written report this month

M1000: PROGRAMME: Updated programme attached

M1001: COMMUNITY SERVICE: Nothing to report this month

M1002: FELLOWSHIP: Report attached

M1003: VOCATIONAL: Nothing to report this month

M1004: INTERNATIONAL: Report attached

M1005: NEW GENERATIONS: Report attached.

Council agreed for Rtn Tony SARGEANT to pursue his idea of a local canal-based youth project, and fully supports the initiative.

M1006: FOUNDATION: Report attached.

M1007: ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

  1. Antiques Event: Rtn June DRYSDALE proposes that the Club participates in a joint-venture with RC Wakefield for an Antiques Event @ Unity Hall on Saturday 2 July 2016. Approved.

  2. Donation requests have been received from the following organisations


    a. Wakefield District Scouts (letter 6 Feb 2016) – funding to purchase a second training narrowboat

    b. The Boys’ Brigade (letter 8 Feb 2016) – funding to support joint-venture trip to Kisumu, Kenya.

Both fit in well with the President’s wish to support local youth charities, and it was agreed to add them to the Priority List. Rtn Dennis ROBERTS to acknowledge the letters accordingly.

  1. Catering for Evening Social events: Rtn Trevor MITCHELL expressed his disappointment, and that of his guests, regarding the quantity and quality of catering at the recent Rock & Roll Night.

The portion sizes were much smaller than we have come to expect at this type of event, and there being no sweet course, or teas / coffees, meant that @ £15 pp, it was over-priced for what we got. President Graham and Rtn Dennis ROBERTS concurred that they had received similar comments from other members and guests.

This is not to cast any criticism against the organisers of what was an excellent evening’s entertainment, but it was agreed that the comments need to be taken on board and discussed with the Centre Catering management.


  1. Club Name Badges: It was agreed that the Club should have some form of identity name badges for social and Rotary functions (e.g. lapel badges or lanyards). They don’t come cheap, however. Rtn Dennis ROBERTS will source samples for consideration at the next Council Meeting.


There being no other business, President Graham SCOTT thanked all for attending, and closed the meeting at 15:10.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 14:15 HRS ON TUESDAY 12th APRIL 2016 AT THE COMMUNITY CENTRE.

……………………………………………………President ……………………………………….................Hon. Secretary


ACTION SUMMARY –MARCH 2016

Minute Ref:

What:

Who:

When:

M927 (1b)

Hearing Loop Investigation

G Scott

Ongoing

M940 (1)

Sri Lanka ‘Yorkshire’ School project: provide address contact details to local schools

T Sargeant

Ongoing

M947

Corporate Membership Event: Follow-up invitations

G Scott / D Roberts

March

M971

Cheque presentations – organise large blank cheque

P Tinker

Ongoing

M998 (1)

H & S Fire Evacuation: Contact Fire Service Safety Officer

T Ellis

March

M998 (2)

H & S: Organise stewarding and RA for Musical Evening

T Mitchell / T Ellis

March

M1007 (1)

Antiques Event: Confirm and liase with RC Wakefield

J Drysdale

Ongoing

M1007 (2)

Funding Appeals: Acknowledge & confirm with applicants

D Roberts

March

M1007 (3)

Seek to improve Catering for Evening Events:

Discuss with Centre Manager

G Scott

Ongoing

M1007 (4)

Name Badges: obtain samples for consideration

D Roberts

March