Golfing Rotarians Christmas lunch Portway, Staunton
Wed 7th December 2016 at 12.45 - 15.00
This was the first of our Christmas meals with all invited, golfers or not......
We all met at the Portway Inn near Staunton on Wye full of festive cheer and we had a very enjoyable afternoon. The lunch was tasty with a few unusual twists to the menu and the conversation flowed, as did the wine. We were entertained with golfing themed jokes and stories by Patrick, Paul, Norman, Brian and Howard with David then presenting awards to the Knights Golfing Society members. These included:
- The Jorge Lorenzo Award for the fastest Round on a Honda 70cc motorbike - to Kevin for the second year....the only person able to complete a round in under 60 minutes (ref to m'bike is because of his recent alternative mode of transport)
- The Most Original Excuse(s) Award for not attending golf - to Paul who has presented several 'excuses' e.g. 'got to take my mother to hospital', 'sitting in my caravan in the middle of Dartmoor freezing to death'.
- The Typhoo Tee Award - to Brian P for the longest Tee Shot i.e. the furthest a Tee has travelled from the Tee.
- The Duke of Edinburgh Award for Expletives - to Norman for single-handedly compiling volume two of the Uxbridge Dictionary of Expletives
- The Overly-excessive knowledge of the Rules Award - to Martin for baffling and confusing fellow golfers with 'The Rules'
- The presentation to our newest recruit, Nick, of the 'club' rules for golf - a blank sheet of paper. Many thanks to David for organising this enjoyable afternoon and to everyone who entertained us!