Rotary Club of Wensleydale
Home | Community Projects | Community Service Activities
- Right to Read; Members regularly visit four Primary Schools in the Dale to hear children reading and help them progress. Much valued by the children, teachers, and Rotarians!
- Best Kept Village Competition; Run together with Richmond Rotary Club annually, having taken on the organisation of the competition previously run by Richmondshire District Council.
- Flowers at Christmas; Members taken around 80 flowering plants to old people living on their own who appreciate a visit and chat.
- Christmas Meals on Wheels; The Club pays for the Christmas meals distributed throughout the Dale by the WRVS.
- Christmas Cards; The Club runs a competition amongst Year 7 (1st year) at Wensleydale School for the design of a Christmas Card suitable to accompany the Christmas Meals and flowers. Prizes are given and the best design used for printing the cards, with a message from the President and the winners name on the back.
- Carer to Scarborough; Every year the Club arranges for a carer to have a week long holiday in a hotel in Scarborough after helping them find somewhere for the cared for person to be looked after. The carer is taken to and from Scarborough by a Rotarian, and while there, he/she has the opportunity to meet many other carers in the same position as themselves, who have also been taken by many other Rotary Clubs in Yorkshire. The Rotary Club of Scarborough arranges a full programme of entertainment. The carers are always very appreciative of the well earned break from all responsibilities.
- School Bursary Fund; The Club initiated and continues to provide funds for Wensleydale School to use for the express purpose of allowing children from disadvantaged families to experience extra-curricular activities such as trips abroad, which would otherwise be denied them.
- Helping the Environment; In 2004/5 the Club provided and helped plant 122 trees in 21 villages as part of the Rotary International Centenary. The previous year, 200 daffodil bulbs were planted on the approaches to Leyburn.
- Deserving local causes; Every year the Club receives requests from local people for help with funding a huge variety of projects which will help either individuals or whole communities.
In order to raise money for the Club Charity Account and therefore be able to fund the above, the Club holds several regular events;
o Wensleydale Wander every April
o James Herriot Country Trail Run every July
o Tombola at Masham Steam Fair
o Night Watchmen at Leyburn Food and Drink Festival every May