Council Minutes 20th August 2018

Council Minutes 20th August 2018


ROTARY CLUB OF CARDIFF BREAKFAST

MINUTES OF CLUB COUNCIL MEETING

Held on  Monday 20th August 2018.

At 18 Bassetts Field CF14 9UG


Present: President Rosemary Bentley, Michael Sant, Richard Cunningham, Steve Finch, Mary Davies, Sue Hewerdine, Michael Brooke, IPP Steve Best, Pauline Owen

1. Apologies for absence There were no apologies for absence

2. Minutes of last meeting, 17th July 2018, having been circulated were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising

The  incoming Treasurer is experiencing difficulties setting up new signatories with NatWest Bank. The Charity Commissioners have pointed out that Charity Trustees need reviewing as one Trustee has since left the Club. Council therefore  unanimously elected three new Trustees - Steve Best, Michael Sant and Michael Brooke, with Mary Davies as the Treasurer. The new Trustees requested details of the duties required of them as Trustees of the Charity Account

4. Hon. Treasurer.

Charity Account   Account healthy. Treasurer reported that £1000 is available for a Shelterbox for the Kerala disaster if requested (see International report below)

Breakfast  Discussion regarding a fair amount to be paid by members for Breakfast with some members having a full breakfast, some a continental breakfast and at least one member no breakfast at all.. The Secretary to consult with the Kitchen as to a pricing structure. (Secretaries Note. This has now been resolved after consulting with the Kitchen - £6.50 for full breakfast, £5 for Continental breakfast and no charge for anyone who chooses not to eat)

House Account Also healthy

The Treasurer is to speak to Rhiwbina Ladies group about Rotary.

5. International Committee.  Pauline Owen.

KIVA. There are currently 32 loans out through KIVA. Originally  $200 was allocated for loans. This has now risen to $660 including repayments of previous loans. Chris will update the Club at a business meeting.

Shelterbox  With the flooding in Kerala , India together with the earthquake in Lombok, Indonesia, International Committee is anticipating that there will be a call for the  renewal of the stock of Shelterboxes. (See Treasurers statement above)

Uganda tree planting project   RCCB has forwarded £400 to PONT to enable tree planting to begin at the appropriate time. Still awaiting final approval from District. (Secretaries Note. The Grant has now been approved)

There was general discussion on the District Grant process with some concern that the slow approval of the tree planting application may prevent the Club from making an application for a new grant. Also discussed was the need  to start to prepare an application for next year's Grants process.

.Plastic Waste  "Keep Wales Tidy" would like to have District 1150  Rotary Clubs as valued partners in the long term project of combating plastic waste. PDG Steve Jenkins has been asked to form an action group. The International Committee felt we should support any proposed beach clean ups.

It was also requested that the Secretary renews the contacts made with two recycling Centres of Lamby Way and Viridor (both put on hold over the summer due to plant maintenance) for Members to witness how rubbish is sorted, recycled or otherwise dealt with.

The Committee/Club will continue to collect plastic milk bottle tops for recycling (also helping to fund "End Polio Now " project)

Fund raising  The International Quiz is scheduled for 25th January in Lisvane Memorial Hall. However the International Committee has an URGENT request for a Quizmaster. After many years of being Quizmaster, PP Steve Best is taking a well earned rest so a successor is urgently required. Steve has kindly offered to guide the new Quizmaster


6. Com-Voc Committee Steve Finch

Dementia Friendly  Contacted on 25th July by Ann-Marie Ablett and Angela ??? joint presidents RC Llanishen, on how to progress Dementia Friendly initiative in Llanishen. No further contact made since.

Members were invited to help on Dementia Friendly stand at Chapter Arts Centre on Thursday or  Friday 4/5th October. Maggie to provide further details.

Whitchurch/Tongwynlais planters   Still no delivery date from Cardiff Council. new contact at CCC is now  Hayley Farr as Lorna Collinson on maternity leave

Whitchurch Festival  Donations of £200 to Whitchurch Community Association and £50 to Aarat Baptist have been passed to the recipients, as agreed at the last Council.

Next Festival Meeting is Thursday 11th October. Committee has suggested an Auction of Promises to replace unsuccessful Charity Shop Auction.  Also suggested was a village bowls or boules event..

The ducks are temporarily nesting in Roath Park where they will float again in September for a Charity Duck Race for Breast Cancer Care.

Message in a Bottle  Tongwynlais Hub is now one of the locations the Club supports with displays. Planning on visiting Llanishen Hub next.

Whitchurch Garden  Permission given to Michael Sant to purchase Autumn feed from Deri Stores

Christmas Collections  Sainsbury's Colchester Avenue with Brass Band confirmed for 22nd December. Still looking for a second date elsewhere

Dictionaries for Life Presentations made at Tongwynlais Primary School by Toni Young and Neville Jones. Bryn Celyn Primary School by Steve Finch and Court  Special School by Philip Thomas.

Card Readers  Steve Finch is investigating the use of card readers (PayPal or iZettle) linked to app on a smart phone for making auto payments to Club Charity account (either contactless or pin). Would be useful for tin shakes etc as many people no longer carry cash. Fee charged of 1% to 2.75%. Already used by some Rotary Clubs

Grant s £50 for Dan Clark visiting Patagonia doing community work within the Welsh speaking community. The grant is dependent on Dan raising the £2575 required and if successful visiting the Club to talk about his experiences.

7. Youth Services Committee. Richard Cunningham

Youth Competitions

Richard has emailed AG Brian Pippen/Chris Thorpe with Club dates and suggested dates for for Area/District requirements so as to meet RIBI requirements. Still awaiting reply. Richard to confirm with AG that RCCB are organising Area Young Musician competition this year.

Interact  Howells Interact Quiz RCCB were represented by Ro Linton and Richard and their partners. Quiz well run and organised and we avoided the "wooden spoon"

Curry and Choir   Last year as the Choir did not receive the promised donation to the Stroke Association, it was agreed that this year  a donation of £100 should be confirmed by Council .The donation of £100 to Stroke Association was agreed by Council. A raffle with a maximum of 10 raffle prizes will be held with envelopes on the tables

Whitchurch High School A meeting to be held with new Headmaster at WHS to discuss RCCB relationship with school.

RYLA Sabeeha Bari (Howells) Jessica O'Brian and Taisie Kuningas (WHS) attended course starting 5th August. Excellent feedback from both candidates and parents. In the past candidates were briefed daily.Now the teams are only briefed once on Sunday after the team selections and any further instructions/briefings are the responsibilities of the individuals Candidates visiting Club on 19th September at Interactors breakfast to feedback.

Interact Visits will be set up once term starts in September

President

Nothing to report

Secretary

Council discussed the application of Liz Davies to transfer from RC Cardiff East to RC Cardiff Breakfast. Council decided unanimously to support the application subject to the 7day approval of the Members

Date of next Meeting.   @President Rosemary's house, 18 Bassetts Field  1st October at 5pm

 

Distribution : Presidents Rosemary Bentley, Michael Sant, Michael Brooke, Steve Finch, Sue Hewerdine, Richard Cunningham,  Pauline Owen, Mary Davies, IPP Steve Best