Mammoth Car Boot Sale Aug 26
Now in its 37th year and probably the largest of its kind in Southern England this year's event will again be held on the August Bank Holiday in the grounds of Wilton House.
Established in 1983, our annual Mammoth Car Boot Sale has for many years been one of the largest of its kind in Southern England.
The event is held on August Bank Holiday Monday (August 26, 2019) by kind permission of our Honorary Member the Earl of Pembroke in the beautiful grounds of the Wilton House Estate. The main entrance is via the Netherhampton Road Gate and the main exit is via the Sawmills Gate in South Street (but see FAQ below).
Access for Sellers is possible from 6am-9am and pitches will be available from £15 (see FAQ below).
Admission for Buyers costs £5 per person for Earlybirds who enter before 9am and £2 per person thereafter.
See below for answers to frequently asked questions.
FAQ NB DETAILS BELOW ARE SUBJECT TO AMENDMENT AT THIS TIME
1. Gates open for Sellers? From 6am-9am - there is NO need to arrive very early though we recommend arrival by 8.30am to avoid traffic.
2. Pre-Booking? Not normally required for Ordinary or Large pitches (as defined below); just turn up and pay on the day. However for any larger requirement and/or commercial stall it is recommended you make contact in advance via the facility below to check any requirements.
3. Sellers' Pitch Prices?
- Ordinary Seller's Pitch ( e.g car only) £15 (see Q6 below).
- Large Sellers Pitch (eg "transit" van etc) £30. Larger vehicles subject to negotiation.
|NB PRICES CHANGED IN 2018: Pitch prices remained unchanged for over 15 years and hitherto agreeing the difference between an "Ordinary (£10) Pitch" and a "Medium (£15) pitch" was often difficult. Thus we decided in 2018 to remove the Medium pitch and increase the pricing as indicated above.
Any larger site requirement and/or commercial site will be assessed on arrival.
4. The right is reserved to refuse any pitch.
5. Food/drink sales? Because there are pre-booked concessions for these any other stalls for on-site consumption are not allowed.
6. Ordinary pitch size? Approx two car widths. Vehicles MUST park with boot end facing the gangway unless Marshals otherwise agree, then pitch fee may be amended to reflect sales frontage.
7. Restricted goods? There are various legal restrictions on the goods that can be sold at car boot sales (eg electrical goods) and Trading Standards Officers are likely to visit the Sale with a view to possible enforcement particularly in relation to "traders". Click here for further info.
8. Sellers' rubbish? There will be a skip for waste disposal but please particularly note FOOD WASTE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and any especially bulky items should be left beside the skip to enable them to be broken up/compressed as necessary before skip collection. Also any electrical equipment (eg televisions) must be left beside the skips and not put in them. So far as possible please compress other items (eg cardboard boxes) to maximise use of the skip capacity.
9. Sellers' Departure? As the Sales Area is quite crowded, if you wish to leave early you must take particular care negotiating the gangways where there are pedestrians
10. Buyers' entry? The sale officially opens at 9am from which time the normal entry charge of £2 for adults applies. Entry before 9.00 am will not be permitted otherwise than on payment of the higher charge of £5 per person. If you do not wish to pay the higher charge please join the queue for admission after 9am.
11. Buyers' Departure? The sale ends at 1pm and stalls are expected to close then with a view to Buyers being away from the site by 2pm. In any event all vehicles MUST vacate by 3pm failing which a penalty charge of £20 will be levied for late exit.
12. Buyers' Exit Route? As long as there is significant incoming traffic via the Netherhampton Road entrance, all departing vehicles will be directed westwards through the Park to exit into South Street, Wilton. Once incoming traffic is judged to have sufficiently reduced then exit onto Netherhampton Road will be allowed but Marshals instructions must be followed as to the direction of exit.
13. Enquiries? Please note that we are very fortunate to have use of the Park by kind permission of the Wilton Estate but otherwise it is not involved in the event. Therefore ANY enquiries should be directed to this site NOT the Estate Office.
14. Dogs? Stallholders may have them in/by their vehicles (on short lead) but otherwise, though not prohibited, it is recommended that they are not brought to the event because of the congested nature of the sales area, and it is most unwise to risk leaving them in vehicles particularly if it is hot.
15. Where? For satnav enter SP2 8PZ which will bring you to the corner on Netherhampton Road which is the Netherhampton Gate entrance to the Park. NB This is the only entrance for the event. Entry via the Sawmills Gate in South Street will not be possible for vehicles nor pedestrians. From the North,West and East follow road signs for Salisbury Race Course. From the South (via Coombe Bissett ) also follow Racecourse signs BUT carry on north past the Racecourse and the Netherhampton Gate entrance is at the bottom of the hill.
16. Entry/Exit? Otherwise than for emergencies vehicular entry to the site is NOT allowed after 12.00 midday. Therefore if collection by vehicle is planned that must be before that time or at the Netherhampton Road outside the gate. (This is necessary due to the need then to use that gate for exit only as it is not possible to have other than one-way traffic.)
17. Entry/Exit procedure? Whilst we have refined the traffic management to try to reduce delays the nature of the site, restricted time of the event, and the volume of vehicles do impose constraints particularly with the bulk of outgoing traffic being concentrated in a fairly short period. Thus we ask for your understanding of that situation, which may be relieved in part by earlier or later departure.