Rotary International District 1240
Home | International Service | Stop People Trafficking
Why People Trafficking and Slavery?
A motion from two Norwich Clubs was put to the 2007 Council on Legislation the Motion called on Rotarians the world over:
"to campaign to stop the practice of child slavery and cruelty to children in employment wherever it takes place, and to disassociate themselves completely from all persons and businesses that make use of forced child labour"
The Motion was accepted by all, bar 59 of the delegates, and thus was referred back to the RI Board which considered the issue in November 2007.
DECISION: The Board, in response to Council Referred Resolution, reaffirms Rotary Code of Policies section 40.040.1. that states “until the PolioPlus programme has been successfully completed, no other International programme will be considered”
However the R.I. Board "thanks the General Council of RIBI for its interest in a campaign to stop the practice of child slavery and encourages those Rotary Clubs and Districts aware of the existence of such practice to work towards its elimination". You can be pleased or disappointed with that decision. I know the Norwich Clubs were mortified. However it is what we have, and what we have to work with for now. As an update to the above at the RI Convention in Montreal the RI Board decided to maintain the moratorium on Rotarian Action Groups until November 2010. So the wait goes on!
Advocacy continues to be the name of the game at the moment. We need to create an awareness of the plight of so many people who fell victims of the traffickers, many of them just children. That is what this part of the International pages are about.
Please use contact form above for more details: Harry Payne Rotary Club of Burnham on Crouch and Dengie Hundred
- Mercy Trucks and Trafficking
- Child Slavery - CNN Freedom Project
- June 2011 Anti Slavery Bulletin
- March 2011 Anti Slavery Bulletin
- February 2011 Anti Slavery Bulletin
- Haiti One Year On
- January 2011 Anti Slavery Bulletin
- December 2010 Anti People Trafficking and Slavery Newsletter
- November 2010 Anti People Trafficking and Slavery Bulletin
- October 2010 Newsletter Against People Trafficking
- September 2010 Trafficking and Slavery Newsheet
- June 2010 Anti Slavery Newsletter
- May, Stop People Trafficking
- April Newsletter Against People Trafficking
- February Newsletter Against People Trafficking
- What Will Happen to the Children?
- January Newsletter against People Trafficking
- December Newsletter against People Trafficking
- November Newsletter against People Trafficking
- October Newsletter Against People Trafficking
- September Newsletter Against People Trafficking
- August Newsletter Against People Trafficking
- Proposed Rotary Action Group
- People Trafficking and Slavery