Rotary International District 1100
- How to Use this Site + Recent Updates + HELP
- Administration and District Contacts
- District Diary
- District Secretary
- District Treasurer
- Concert Poster
- District Governor, DGE & DGN
- Assistant Governors
- Conference 2013
- Rotary Foundation
- News Update
- Future Vision
- Grants - Details
- Funds & Funding
- Polio Eradication
- Rotary Alumni
- CELEBRATE our New Members 2012-2013
- Easy access to Useful Material
- Developing a Membership for the 21st Century
- Club Visioning
- Is your Club Fit for Purpose?
- Attention to Retention
- Satellite Meetings
- Community and Vocational
- ComVoc News
- District Competitions
- Project Library RIBI
- Community Service Information
- Vocational Service Information
- Rotary Fellowships
- Marketing PR and Communications
- Youth Service
- Rotary Children's Holiday Trust
- Baby Clothes and Shoes for Romania and Moldova
- International News
- Rotary Friendship Exchange
- Club Projects
- Footcare in Caribbean
- Hope & Homes for Children
- Nepal Trust
- Zambesi Nutritional Gardens
- Facing Africa
- The Rotary 'Boxes'
- Model Climate Conference for Schools
- The Kenya Project (Briquettes)
- Community/Club Tree Planting
- Download Central
- DISTRICT SHOP
Home | Environment | The Kenya Project (Briquettes)
Rotary District 1100 Environment Group
Pilot Project for Kenyan Schools to adopt the manufacture of briquettes to replace charcoal
- Charcoal over the last 20 years has done untold harm to the environment of Africa primarily due to deforestation.
- Charcoal has become big business and forms an integral part of both urban and rural homesteads.
- To inform students about the issues surrounding charcoal in school and to help schools to produce an effective and environmental equivalent to charcoal: briquettes.
- Once we have 100 schools producing briquettes then approach the Ministry for Education and underline the importance of this project being replicated officially in all 2000 schools.
- Pilot now running funded by D1100 funds.
- Results in July.
- Roll out from August.
Engagement from Clubs
- We need your Club to express interest now in funding at least one school to produce briquettes: Cost per school under £200.
- You will be sent a report on the pilot and how to proceed as soon as the pilot is completed.
A report on the pilot can seen on this site by clicking here or following the link in the Reports menu at the top of the left navigation panel
The 15 June 2012 update showing progress then achieved is here .