Georgia (USA) Rotary Student Program
What is the Georgia Rotary Student Program
Since 1946, Rotarians in Georgia, USA, have promoted world peace through understanding by offering scholarships to international students for one year of study in Georgia colleges and universities. Georgia Rotary Clubs sponsor students recommended by a Rotary Club in their home country. The students become adopted members of a Georgia "host family," but live on-campus at the College/University school they attend.
This is a scholarship program, not an exchange. Each year, about 80 students from all over the world make friends in the United States and learn about differing cultures and life styles. Georgia Rotarians believe "Peace is Possible" and through GRSP promote international goodwill through the bonds of friendship and understanding.
Funding to make all of this possible comes from individual Rotarians in Georgia, USA regularly donating to a central fund. All applicants are given serious and equal consideration by the Rotary Clubs in Georgia. Obviously, not all applicants are successful in being awarded a place but Scotland often fares very well in the selection process and our District’s Rotary Clubs have been awarded several places in recent years and indeed there are presently GRSP scholars in Georgia from local schools.
Annually, the District provides interested applicants and their parents, plus interested Rotarians, with an opportunity to learn more about what is on offer by running a GRSP Information Evening. This year's GRSP Information Evening will take place at 7.00 - 9.00 pm in the Chaplaincy Centre at Heriot Watt University, Riccarton Campus on Thursday, 25th April 2019. For exact location of the Chaplaincy Centre on the university campus simply Google it.
The weekly District Newsletter will carry details of the agreed date and venue for the Information Evening but this is likely to be in late April / early May, but could be as late as early June. Meantime, Clubs should be contacting their local secondary schools to alert S6 pupils (before they depart the school after Easter and sitting their SQA National Examinations) to the fact that District will soon be seeking applications for the 2020-21 academic year placements in Georgia.
Clubs should now be active in seeking applicants for a 2020-21 one-year placement at a funded university college in Georgia, USA
- Use the attached files, including a PowerPoint presentation, available on this site to inform Club members of what is on offer.
- Use the sample head teacher letter to get current S5 pupils’ interest in applying.
- A school notice board flyer and a pupil GRSP information sheet is provided to be used in schools (red text needs individual Club details to be inserted)
- An exemplar of the GRSP application form is included but this may change slightly for 2020 and will need to be downloaded from the GRSP website once application system goes live, probably in May 2019.
- Getting started NOW means avoiding pupils becoming too busy to deal with GRSP due to prelims and SQA national examinations.
- GRSP is one of Rotary’s best kept secrets! It is open to relatives of Rotarians.
- Further information can be found at www.grsp.org
- The District’s GRSP Coordinator, PDG Alistair Marquis, can be contacted for advice via firstname.lastname@example.org
- A D1020 information evening will be held in 2019 for interested students and their parents plus Club Rotarians – meeting is at 7.00-9.00 pm at the Chaplaincy Centre, Heriot Watt University, Riccarton Campus on Thursday, 25th April 2019.
Exemplar letter to secondary school head teacher
School GRSP Notice Board Flyer
GRSP information note to prospective applicants (must be 18 by August 2020)
GRSP PowerPoint presentation
Example of GRSP Application Form (Note that the 2020-21 form not yet on the GRSP website and this is an example only to alert applicants to what they will require to complete.)
Example of the Teacher reference form required to be completed for applicant.