We were pleased to receive a visit from Mark Shields and Wayne Stokes of the Somerset Rural Community Council to explain how they work in our community and how our Rotary Club may help themDetails
Club members are all making a monthly donation of food to the West Somerset Food Cupboard to help those in need locallyDetails
Club members have supported the Vaccination centre at the Minehead Community Hospital on Saturdays & TuesdaysDetails
Sarah-Jane Date, Minehead host, came along with 3 refugees, being hosted in the Minehead area, and talked about their journey to the UK and how rotary was helping them settle in.Details
1.The members attended the Presidents BBQ in July; A curry night at the Alcombe Tandoori and a 60's night at the Regal Theatre in August. A sunset cruise out of Minehead harbour has been planned for early September and later in the year a visit to Taunton Races and to the Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station construction site is in the planning stage.
2. The 3rd of our monthly food donations were delivered to the West Somerset Food Cupboard to help those most in need locally. These donations will continue throughout the year. Anyone wishing to help with these donations should contact Rotarian Richard Perry.
3. £6,232 in District Grants have been distributed from the Ukraine Disaster Response Fund and 16 Ukrainian families, being hosted locally, have receive up to £500 per family to help them settle in to West Somerset. Mothers from 3 of the families and their local co-ordinator, Sarah-Jane Date, came along to a club meeting to tell us of their ordeal and to thank the club and Rotary for our generous support.
4. Working with the Community Council of Somerset and their Village Agents, the club were able to donate £200 to a local family in need of a large screen laptop, to help the mother, who is partially sighted, access on-line facilities.
5, Minehead Bay Community event. The club were granted a site at the event, on the seafront, in exchange for us helping to marshall it. The event was a great success and our Gazebo raised the image of Minehead Rotary Club in our community.
6. Rotary Pakistan Disaster Flood Relief Fund and Water Survival Boxes. Whilst at the above event the club demonstrated the use of Water Survival Boxes and raised a very generous £320 from the public, to go towards purchasing more survival boxes to be sent to Pakistan. The club will decide what other help we can give for this disaster.
7. Our Youth Service organiser, Rotarian Mollie Foster, held a meeting with the Minehead Young Careers at the Minehead I. The club plan to organise a day out for the Young Careers before Christmas.
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.