Purley Rotary - People of Action serving Purley for nearly 100 years.
In 2023, Purley Rotary celebrates 100 years of service and making a difference to the lives of others. Rotarians are people of action who pool together our talents and resources to get things done locally and internationally.
Currently, we are raising money to aid refugee Ukrainian families being supported by Rotary Club colleagues in Polland, Romania and Moldova. See latest information posted on Facebook, Twitter and Next Door. In Purley, we:
* Volunteer at Purley Food Hub and donate regular food and money.
* Drive the minibus and escort clients to Purley & Coulsdon Clubs for the Elderly.
* Litter-pick Purley Rotary Field several times a week to keep it clean and safe.
* Lead the Purley in Bloom community gardening initiative.
* Take children with special needs on a KidsOut summer's fun day.
* Help with safety and stewarding at local events such as the forthcoming Queen's Platinum Jubilee Picnic in the Rotary Field on 4th June.
* In 2021, we raised over £20,000 for local charites and community groups including Spread Some Sunshine, Home-Start Croydon, Purley Food Stop, Croydon Vision, The Link, Surrey Air Ambulance and Daniel Spargo-Mabbs Foundation.
* Actively supported the campaign to Save Purley Pool.
* Provided a thank-you Christmas meal for hardworking NHS A&E Staff.
Internationally, as well as aiding the families fleeing Ukraine, we:
* Enjoy close working links with three European partner Clubs in France, Netherlands and Germany, supporting each other financially in projects the four clubs couldn't do on their own.
* Raised £8,500 in collaboration with the Rotary Club in Beirut to support the city's recovery after the explosion in August 2020.
We are men and women from all walks of life and are always keen to welcome new people to join us - to take part in an existing project or help set up a new one....but also very much to have FUN!
We meet face-to-face each week at the Purley Sports Club, The Ridge, Purley, CR8 3PF to enjoy good fellowship, plan and report back on projects and hear a range of excellent speakers.
Our first major project was back in 1924 when the club raised money to buy the Rotary Field recreation ground in Brighton Road, then giving it to the Urban District Council of Coulsdon and Purley "to maintain for all time as a public playing field."
Since then, our annual Swimathon, first held in 1988, has raised over £650,000 for local charities and community groups. Details of the Swimathon 2022 will be announced shortly.
And, now that COVID is reducing, we look forward to resuming our Christmas collections house to house and at Tesco Purley - these have raised over £40,000 in the last 10 years.
In addition, for 30 years we have supported and funded the KidsOut scheme at St. Giles School, South Croydon...and in 2023, our centenary year, we are spearheading a major fundraising scheme at the school.
To find out more about us and what we do, please email email@example.com we will get back to you.
Or look us up on social media on Twitter&Facebookand Purley Rotary on Next Door.
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.
Rotary serving communities through supporting foodbanks
Diversity is part of Rotary’s core values
Get the Rotary Purley app!
OK, it's not really an 'app', but it behaves a bit like one - add a shortcut to this page to your device's homepage or desktop. You can install it on your phone/tablet/computer and it opens this page - but not in your browser.
PC (Edge or Chrome), Mac (Chrome) & Android phone
Click the 'install' button below. You will be asked if you wish to install the app on your device - agree to this. The current browser window will close, the app will open in its own window. An icon will have been added to your desktop; on a phone, you may need to manually move it from your list of apps to your home screen
iPhone or iPad
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then swipe left until you get to 'add to homescreen' select this. The shortcut will be added.