Covid has given lots of challenges – so how did we raise money to distribute to Charities?
Normally we meet on a Monday evening - we donate meal cost & raffle proceeds to our ‘Covid Fund’.
We were able to do some of our Christmas Collections:
Before Christmas, the Sleigh & Father Christmas were parked in Shepperton High Street, outside Marks & Spencer and outside Longacres. Thank you for your generous donations, and to all helpers and to members who drove the Sleigh to and from collection locations. We raised over £4,150.
Shepperton & Sunbury Rotary have been working hard in our Local Community during the Covid-19 period:
Shepperton & Sunbury Rotary:
- Have actively helped our two Foodbanks (St Saviours & Jubilee) with over 1000 food bags, donations from individuals + grants from our Club, doubled by District Rotary.
- Donations to Surplus to Supper based in Sunbury which supplies foodbanks and provides free meals – Bridging the gap between food waste and food poverty). Overall, Shepperton & Sunbury Rotary have donated over £2,000 to foodbanks.
- Funds to help against Domestic Abuse in the local area, with funds doubled by our own District Rotary.
- Funds via the Citizens Advice Bureau to help people in desperate need to keep their Gas & Electricity on.
- Supported Transform – providing housing, support and homecare in our local area.
- Funds to Baby Basics who help new mothers with basic requirements.
- The Sunflower Club where children bought Sunflowers to see which grows the tallest, with prizes given.
- An Art Competition for children.
- 90 Christmas Stockings to HomeStart, Jubilee Church and N E Surrey Family Support Team. Gifts donated by Tesco in Sunbury, and rest given instead of the HomeStart Children’s Party Rotary normally provides.
- Dictionaries 4 Life to Year 5 Primary School pupils across 4 schools in Sunbury: Chennestone, Springfield, Kenyngton Manor and new School: Hawkedale which is now educating pupils up to age 11.
Shepperton & Sunbury Rotary thank everyone for their generous donationsand wish you all every happiness in 2021.
Since the outbreak of Covid-19 our Shepperton & Sunbury Rotary has not been able to meet at the Holiday Inn. However, we have weekly Zoom meetings on a Monday evening and a number of initiatives have taken place to help people in our community.
1. We have given donations and raised the equivalent money via District grants for:
a) St Saviour's Church Food Bank
b) Jubilee Church Food Bank
2. We have given donations and raised the equivalent money via District grants for:
a) Shooting Star Chase Children's Hospice
b) The Princess Alice Hospice
3. We have run 2 Children's Competitions:
a) Children's Art Competition (see Events ending on 30 June) - run by Rotarian Les Coulson, money
b) Sunflower Competiton (see Events ending on 31 August) - set up by Rotarian Jacqueline Stanton, she has so far raised donations of c.£600, including sale of other plants.
4. We have supported the North Surrey Domestic Abuse Service.
5. We have supported Transform Housing and Support who provide boredom buster packs and food as well as support for vulnerable people in Sunbury in their own homes or at Mitchison House.
Sun, May 9th 2021 9:30 am
Raise money for your own preferred Charity by completing this walk. The event will be lead & marshalled by Rotary members.
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.