What we do in our local community
Community and Vocational service
The Community and Vocational Committee has worked and is continuing to work with the local community by responding to requests for help, supporting local organisations, providing person-power for local events and projects as well as acting as advisers on school-based initiatives.
Previous activities include:-
- Planting trees, clearing a pond and providing footpaths at Highfield Park as part of a joint project with the other two Rotary clubs in St Albans
- Organising barn dances with the local Camphill Village Trust - an organisation providing support and employment for people with special needs - for its residents. For further information about Camphill Village Trust, please visit www.camphillstalbans.org.uk
- Painting a flat for the local Women's Refuge
- Helping to provide food at a drop-in centre for the homeless
- Providing a Christmas hamper and presents for a family in need
- Providing advisers in schools under the Young Enterprise scheme
- Organising a Christmas tea party for the older residents of St Albans
In addition to this, we support Rotary community activities. This year we are hoping to raise funds for and support the work of Macmillan Nurses in the local area.
Our future plans include:-
A 3 or 5 mile walk followed by a pub lunch.
A day cleaning the River Ver. Date and venue to be advised
The annual Spring Tea Party.This is a successful and popular event, when we provide tea and entertainment for up to 70 of St Albans' older residents.
Kids Out is a Rotary-wide event which takes place every year. We work closely with a school in St Albans to identify children with limited opportunities and give them a special day out at Whipsnade Zoo.
Go to www.kidsout.org for more information about this really worthwhile event
Other projects include:-
Painting a hall used by one of the St Albans community groups.
Sitting on mock interview panels to help our young people about to enter the "World of Work"
If you would like to know more about our club, why not join us for one of these events, when you will have an oppoertunity to talk to Rotarians in an informal setting. Details can be found from our club secretary. Just follow the links on the Contacts page.