Youth Service is the name that Rotary gives to its programmes aimed at young people up to the age of 30.
The Club has active involvement in a number of programmes that are organised on a District Level.
Each year the Club supports the following District or national initiatives:
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA). The District hosts a very successful programme held each year at Hebden Hey, near Hedben Bridge in West Yorkshire. Together with the Northallerton Rotary Club, each year we seek young people in the age range 16 to 17 to take up the 2 places offered on the programme (1 each funded by the Northallerton Mowbray Club and the Northallerton Club). An exciting and worthwhile week of leadership challenges awaits those who take part. Based on previous feedback, the young people who take part in this annual event find this a fulfilling experience, and something that stands them in good stead as they move on towards adulthood. With an enforced 2 year break because of Covid we are pleased that this will run again in Summer 2022.
- Rotary Young Chef. Another regular programme aimed at budding chefs - boy or girl. A Club round before Christmas leads to the successful young chef going on to regional competitions, and if succesful into the national final. And this is not just a pipe dream. Our first Club Young Chef did progress to that national final, and although he did not win at that stage this was a fantastic experience for him, and all who had been involved in helping him to that stage in the competition. No national event was held in 2021-22 because of Covid, but we decided to hold a Club Competition locally involving Northallerton School and 6th Form College, and Bedale High School and this will be completed before the end of the summer term 2022
- Technology Tournament. This annual event is held across the country and we join with other clubs from the immediate area to hold an event in Catterick, which is open to teams from schools across the area at all age ranges. Club members who assist in this event never cease to be amazed at the inventiveness and enthusiasm of the teams as they try to design and build a working solution to the challenge set. Afeter a break in 2021 because of Covid it was good to be back in 2022.
- The Club sponsors a young citizen award and an award for success at AS Level at Northallerton School and Sixth Form College, and a young citizen award at Bedale High School. The young citizen awards are for the young person who best reflects the Rotary Motto "Service Above Self"
- In 2021-22 for the first time the Club developed an award scheme for essays on an environmental theme, working with Bedale High School.
To raise funds for these projects the Club organises Santa Collections in the period immeadiately before Christmas. The picture below shows Santa and his helpers ready to receive donations.