Faringdon Rotary support International projects
The Rotary mission is simply to 'serve others, to give something back, to advance world understanding, goodwill and peace by utilising the skills, talents and energy of our memebers.
Here at the Faringdon and District Rotary club, we have put in a lot of effort to help in various overseas projects. Sometimes this involves sponsoring a specific project, always making sure any money we put in is fully acounted for. In some cases a small group of Rotarians have travelled to work on projects, giving both time, physical effort and expertise.
The Rotary motto, Service Above Self, exemplifies the humanitarian spirit of Rotary members worldwide. The big projects like End Polio Now have been a fantastic success.
- We regularly donate to Water Aid, which we feel really delivers valuable services to those in need. http://www.wateraid.org/uk/
- We buy Shelterboxes each year since they became available. http://www.shelterbox.org/
In addition to the regular International contributions, the Club participates in specific International projects, over the past few years the club these have included :
- In conjunction with the Rotary Club of Bangalore Indiranager, a 3H grant (Health, Hunger and Humanity) was granted by the Rotary Foundation for a 100,000 to equip the new Karunashraya Hospice in Bangalore together with a palliative care training facility (the first in India)
- We then helped set up a microcredit loan project in Malawi this enabled a loan fund to be created to allow a group of ten women to create small local businesses, this enabled them to improve their lives, health and their childrens education.
- Rotarians from our club helped to build a house in Nepal through Habitat for Humanity https://www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/