History of Rotary Club of Pinner - 1943 to 1969

Show related pages

1943
The Rotary Club of Pinner was conceived when the Extension Committee of the Harrow Club, discussed with a few enthusiastic businessmen, the possibility of forming a Rotary Club in Pinner. What could be regarded as the christening of the Club took place at the Gayton Rooms, Harrow, on Wednesday l7th May, 1944, when the Club, now 26 members strong, was presented with its charter. During the war the Club was active in connection with comfort and help for prisoners of war and the entertainment of foreign and other military personnel at luncheon meetings.

 

1948
A new Club Bulletin was produced. Also during the year, a cup, donated by one of our members, was presented to the Pinnerwood School for their Annual Sports Day, to be competed for annually and replicas to be given each year.

 

1950
The International Committee invited schools to submit essays on the "Charter of Human Rights" as dealt with in "The Gateway to Freedom". A booklet containing the first three essays was printed and a copy given to each competitor and each member of the Club. The United Nations Broadcasting Transmitter broadcast extracts from the essays.

 

1953
To celebrate the Coronation, a seat was provided for old people.


1954
The Vocational Service Committee presented a cup to Black well Secondary Modern School for an annual competition in public speaking.

 

1956
This was an historic year for the Club in the award of a Rotary Foundation Fellowship for advanced study for the academic year 1956-57 to our nominee, Barry John Moughton, who went to McGill University in Canada to study Law.

 

1958
The International Service Committee were successful in the nomination of Ian Mclntosh who was granted the Rotary Foundation Fellowship for London (District 113) for the year 1958-59, and went to Louisville, Kentucky.

 

1961
The Club 'adopted' a ten-year-old boy, Antakil, from the Margi tribe in Nigeria. He was suffering from tuberculoid leprosy, was in the Garkida Leprosarium for a two-year stay to cure his disease.


1964
Our twenty-first Anniversary Dinner at the Headstone Hotel was attended by over one hundred Rotarians.

 

1966
Students from District 220, Zambia, were entertained


1968
The first truly International visit 'across the water' was made when some members visited the Rotary Club of Amsterdam. This year also saw the realisation of our twenty-first anniversary celebration projects in the presentation of an ambulance to the Harrow Division of the St John Ambulance Brigade and an all purpose sailing dinghy to the Pinner and Hatch End Sea Cadet Unit. .


1969
This year saw the creation of the Walter Millard Award. Walter, a sadly recently deceased member who was a blind physiotherapist at Mount Vernon Hospital and the award was to be given to the year's best student nurse there.