Our Peace Programme/ Jersey a Rotary Peace Community
The Declaration of Jersey as a Rotary Peace Community took place on Friday 8th May 2015 at a ceremony held at The Town Hall, St Helier.
Rotary International, of which the Rotary Club of Jersey is a part, has been working for World Peace since its formation in Chicago in 1905. This work has benefitted communities world-wide through
- community projects which help to create an atmosphere of harmony,
- the sponsorship of Peace Study courses at Masters Degree level in 9 Universities worldwide, and
- in recent years, the declaration of Rotary Peace Communities where it can clearly be demonstrated that Rotary, community organisations and government are working together to foster and maintain peace and harmony within their local community.
There are currently 59 such communities in 17 different countries around the world. Jersey is the first to be declared in Great Britain and Ireland and now the 60th in the world.
The ceremony to formalise this declaration took place at the Town Hall St Helier on Friday 8th May 2015.
At the ceremony The Chief Minister, Senator Ian Gorst, received on behalf of Jersey a Rotary Peace Book to commemorate the occasion.
Also present were The President of Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland, Rtn. Peter King, members of the Rotary Club of Jersey and some 140 members of the island community who wished to show their support for the five Rotary Peace Principles .
- Respect for life and dignity of every person, without discrimination or prejudice;
- Rejection of violence, in all its forms and towards all people;
- Resolution of conflict among people within local and global communities;
- Reconciliation of differences and the pursuit of harmony;
- Freedom of expression and cultural diversity:
The Rotary Book of Peace contains the names of those organisations and individuals who have expressed a desire to support this initiative. It is our intention to update the list of supporters as time goes by. The Rotary Peace Book is a living document and is available to read online here.