This is a leaflet giving an outline of what we do and where we meet
ROTARY CLUB OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS
98 years old and still going strong! What is Rotary?
What does our club do?
· Rotary was founded in 1905 and has over 1.2 million members worldwide with over 100,000 in the UK.
· Rotary began as a business networking club; today we include charitable and social activities.
· The Rotary Foundation has contributed about £1.4billion towards eradicating polio, working with the Gates Foundation, WHO and UNICEF. Polio now exists in only 3 countries.
· We raise about £5,000 each year for Hospice in the Weald and up to £10,000 for many other local charities. A defibrillator has been provided for Southborough, we help children to read, provide Rotary Shoeboxes and sing carols at Christmas in local care homes.
· We help schools in Uganda, Nepal, Tanzania, Mozambique and others.
· We help with emergency support for natural disaster relief in such places as Haiti, Nepal, and Syria, linking with our Rotary sponsored Shelter Box Scheme.
· We have helped school children on overseas trips.
· We maintain links with Rotary clubs in Dunkerque and Leeuwarden (Netherlands) with regular visits made between the clubs.
· We support an annual “Kids Out” visit to Chessington.
· We help marshal the Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon
On the Social side, we have various activities to promote friendship and enjoyment:
· We have regular dinner meetings with interesting speakers, including an annual Trafalgar Day Dinner
· We have monthly “Fit and Friendly” walks and we run an annual four night “walking holiday”; this year in Torbay.
· We visited the Alsace with 17 members, exploring the vineyards.
· We have social outings: ten pin bowling, Jazz on the Pantiles, visits to National Trust properties with talks and walks, Penhurst Point to Point, supporting the Finchcocks Charity musical evening and much more.
· We hold an annual Wine Tasting evening.
There is also a thriving Inner Wheel Club open to women and closely aligned to the Rotary Club. The Rotary Club is open to both men and women.
If you would like to know more, you are welcome to come along to one of our monthly dinner meetings and see for yourself!