Current Club Projects/ Lighthouse Walk Information
General Information / Safety Guidelines
Important Information for Participants
Do please read this before you set off as it contains essential safety information.
The route will be signposted. The first part is over the Downs to Cow Gap which will take around 15 minutes, and from there you take the steps down to the beach which are fairly steep and narrow and can cause a little bit of congestion, so please be patient! Once on the beach, turn right and head for the lighthouse which will take around 50 – 55 minutes to reach. Whilst you can leave early, if you want to walk around the lighthouse, you need to depart around one and a half hours before low water as it will not be clear until then. When on the beach, the going may look a bit easier near the cliffs, but PLEASE do not be tempted to go there – you need to walk well clear of the cliffs as they are prone to falling and causing you very serious injury or worse, so keep well to seaward side.
When you get to the lighthouse, you will be able to walk round it and achieve your objective. Some people are tempted to walk up to the platform leading to the door of the lighthouse, but we would strongly advise against doing this, as steps to the platform are narrow and extremely slippery.
Safety - Obviously paramount, so please help us to help you
- We have a number of helpers to ensure that everything is as safe for you as possible – there are people patrolling the beach who are in radio contact with each other, a team from St. John Ambulance are standing by in the event of any accident, and finally as an extra precaution, both the Coast Guard and the RNLI have been notified of the event.
- Should you need any assistance and to attract attention, raise and lower both arms to indicate help required, and please also keep your eyes open for anyone else who might have a problem.
- In the event of a serious emergency a Coast Guard helicopter could wish to land on the beach at the very low tide, and in such an eventuality give a wide berth due to downdraft and follow the instructions of the marshals.
- Cliff falls are always possible, so it is important to keep AT LEAST 50 yards from the base of the cliffs. The closer to the Lighthouse, the bigger the rocks (around 5’ high) and the seaweedy areas are very slippery, so do exercise caution.
- Walking up the steps to the platform by the door of the lighthouse (not open) can be very slippery so extreme caution is necessary; we do not recommend it, so you do this at your own risk.
Key Times - all times BST
17:52 – Forecast low water.
21:18 – Sunset.