Derby Rotary Satellite
Our Satellite is a newer, flexible kind of Rotary which meet once a month in the evening, perfect for people with work and family commitments
Rotary Satellites are a way that busy people, who find it difficult to attend regular weekly meetings, could become part of Rotary with a lot more flexibility. Our Satellite, although fairly small, with only eight members, has done some amazing work, not only with their own projects but also helping our events and projects and supporting other clubs too. It really is about supporting what you can, with no pressure to join in with everything.
They meet once a month, usually on a Monday evening at the Georgian House Hotel, otherwise known as Mr Grundy's on Ashbourne Road. There are no expensive meal costs as you order what you want from the bar, whether that is a chip butty or a mixed grill.
Here is an example of what they get up to:
- Helping Hilton Party In The Park with their fundraising by running the BBQ
- Marshalling at The Knife Angel Sculpture
- Performed their own Murder Mystery evening
- Successful Race Nights and Quiz and Chips fundraisers
- Supported local park events
- Helped the Rotary Club of Etwall and Hilton Christmas Tree Sale at the Royal Derby Hospital
- Promoted and supported a local Secret Santa scheme benefitting children in Chaddesden
- Elfing with the Santa collections
- Charles Hanson Antiques Evaluation Evening with Woodland's School Interact Club
and much more.
In 2018/2019 we raised £2800 for our chosen charities with £100 each going to Annabel's Angels and Dogs For Good and £800 for Rotary Foundation.
This year's chosen charities are Safe & Sound and the Storehouse Project at Ozzy Road Church, due to the Covid-19 pandemic many of our fundraisers had to be postponed. We have therefore decided that we will continue to support these charities for a further year.