The Rotary Club of Derby support lots of great activities to benefit local charities and the community.
The Rotary Club of Derby prides itself on the work that it does in the Community but many of our regular projects are on hold due to the Covid19 pandemic and the ongoing restrictions. Although many of our regular programmes have not been able to take place we have adapted and delivered some new community based support. See the list below for examples of the work we normally undertake.
This Rotary year we have supported a number of community based projects and we will keep these updated below:
Litter Pick at Alvaston Park - September 2020
Ten members of the Club and friends spent a morning at Alvaston Park, supporting Derby Parks and the Alvaston Park Friends to collect litter around the park. Our members were impressed with the cleanliness of the park but they still managed top collect nine bags of litter.
Derby Arboretum 180th Anniversary Event - September 2020
Our members have been continuing their support of the Park and were actively involved in the celebrations, taking part in video events promoting the park and talking about it's history. For more information on the history of our partnership with the Friends of Arboretum Park group please see the link to the page below.
Rotary4Foodbanks - Ongoing
We have fundraised to support local foodbanks around the city and have been successful in getting match funding from a Rotary Foundation grant to support food banks during the Covid19 pandemic.
Donation to Rainbows Hospice
We donated £500 to Rainbows Hospice to support their efforts during the Covid19 pandemic.
Clothing Collection for Asylum Seekers - Ongoing
We have been supporting the Rotary Club of Derby Daybreak to collect donations of clothing to support asylum seekers housed at the Midland Hotel during the pandemic.
Book Drive for Ravensdale Infants School - Ongoing
We have donated £300 to the school for the purchase of new school books following the recent devastating fire. We are also offering to collect books within the local community.
Our activities for 2019/2020 included:
- Santa and Sleigh collections raising £5000 split between two local charities
- Supporting the TOC-H Children's Holiday Camp with an evening of team games and prizes
- Young Carers event at Markeaton Park and Tenpin
- Santa appearing at Morrison's over two weekends raising a further £560.
- Collected over £500 for British Heart Foundation
- Marshalling for local park runs
- Sponsoring holidays for two young carers at Derby Children's Holiday Centre
- Three £250 donations to local charities
- Second donation of £1000 to Treetops
- Supporting the renovation of the Joseph Strutt building alongside the Friends of Derby Arboretum
- Supported local park events with family competitions and activities.