AN IT, LITERACY AND ECONOMIC REGENERATION PROJECT
(Sponsored by Harrogate Brigantes RC in partnership with the Himalayan Ghurkhas RC, Kathmandu)
Following a Project
team visit 1 year ago plus further 2 further follow ups, we have achieved the
fitted with IT suites plus a further 1 currently under construction (incs 7 in
the Panchamul Valley,
see 2104 Project Team picture, Rotarians and teachers.
• A technical audit and teacher training at the7 Valley schools by Callum Morrison (Harrogate Brigantes RC) over a 7 week period this year
• We now have a local IT expert, trained by us, who is on hand to troubleshoot on IT issues at the schools
• The Rotary Microloan scheme has now helped over 80 recipients from an initial investment in 50 small businesses
• A Rotary sponsored Group, a Rotary Community Corps, is now established in the Valley as a sub group of our partner Club in Nepal. It comprises 6 members of the local community and they oversee the Microloan scheme
• An outline scheme for a further upgrade of the Internet link in the Valley has been designed which will be funded by a Global Grant Application. This will also include an investment in language labs for primary schools and hopefully a local Post Office.
• A teacher exchange is planned for September this year where a UK teacher from Harrogate will visit the Panchamul Secondary. This is the next step in our school twinning programme, UK and Nepal.
• Lastly we have an amazing sponsorship offer from Microsoft Nepal to fund a major expansion of the project. They will provide new laptops for any new schools nominated by us and run teacher training workshops once installed.
• Rotary’s role would be to nominate the location, the schools and provide the IT infrastructure viz. a fully functional IT suite with an internet connection.
We now have a project model which is all but proven and can be expanded to other remote valleys.
WHAT WE NEED AND ARE APPEALING FOR!!
Another Club/s from District 1040 to come on board and launch an expansion into another valley, working in partnership with another Nepalese Club. The Nepal Steering Team will provide the guidance and project definition.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS CONTACT BARRY POLLARD, email@example.com
SEE ALSO OUR WEBSITE www.rotaryharrogatebrigantes.org.uk
To read how this project developed, click on Nepal Schools Computerisation Project
and Rotarian Team in Nepal send report