Georgia (USA) Rotary Student Program
What is the Georgia Rotary Student Program
Since 1946, Rotarians in Georgia, USA, have promoted world peace through understanding by offering scholarships to international students for one year of study in Georgia colleges and universities. Georgia Rotary Clubs sponsor students recommended by a Rotary Club in their home country. The students become adopted members of a Georgia "host family," but live on-campus at the College/University school they attend.
This is a scholarship program, not an exchange. Each year, some 60 to 80 students from all over the world make friends in the United States and learn about differing cultures and life styles. Georgia Rotarians believe "Peace is Possible" and through GRSP promote international goodwill through the bonds of friendship and understanding.Funding to make all of this possible comes from individual Rotarians in Georgia, USA regularly donating to a central fund. All applicants are given serious and equal consideration by the Rotary Clubs in Georgia. Obviously, not all applicants are successful in being awarded a place but Scotland often fares very well in the selection process and our District’s Rotary Clubs have been awarded several places in recent years and indeed there have been GRSP scholars in Georgia from local schools in 2019-20 with others going out in 2020-21.
Information EveningAnnually, the District provides interested applicants and their parents, plus interested Rotarians, with an opportunity to learn more about what is on offer by running a GRSP Information Evening. However, given the coronavirus pandemic such an Information Evening will not be possible this year. All necessary information is available on the GRSP website via grsp.org and through information on this website, including many helpful attachments.
Once schools re-open, Clubs should be contacting their local secondary schools to alert S6 pupils to the fact that District will soon be seeking applications for the 2021-22 academic year placements in Georgia.
Clubs should now be active in seeking applicants for a 2021-22 one-year placement at a funded university college in Georgia, USA
- Use the attached files, including a PowerPoint presentation, available on this site to inform Club members of what is on offer.
- Use the sample head teacher letter to get current S6 pupils’ interest in applying.
- A school notice board flyer and a pupil GRSP information sheet is provided to be used in schools (red text needs individual Club details to be inserted).
- An exemplar of the GRSP application form is available on the GRSP website but this may change slightly for 2021 and will need to be downloaded from the GRSP website once application system goes live, sometime after early June 2020.
- GRSP is one of Rotary’s best kept secrets! It is open to relatives of Rotarians.
- Further information can be found at www.grsp.org.
- The District’s GRSP Coordinator, PDG Alistair Marquis, can be contacted for advice via email@example.com.
Exemplar letter to secondary school head teacher
School GRSP Notice Board Flyer
GRSP information note to prospective applicants (must be 18 by 1 August 2021)
GRSP PowerPoint presentation
Example of the Teacher reference form required to be completed for applicant.