Rembrance Sunday 9th November 2014
The day started at 9.45am when the new Lasting Memorial was unveiled in Runnymede Gardens.
The memorial is a tribute from the people of Ilfracombe to the men from the Ilfracombe area who fought and lost their lives in the First World War. The stone was donated by Braunton Quarry and represents the ruggedness of our coastline and the solidarity of our community.
Our Rotary Club adopted Soldier 42680 Sergeant Herbert Jordan of "D" Battery, 50th Reserve Brigade, the Royal Field Artillery, who died on the 8th October 1917. Buried in the churchyard of Holy Trinity, Ilfracombe.
Awarded the DCM. His grave today, not forgotten.
President Martin Mather laying a wreath