Rotary Club of Oswestry
Home | Community Services
The Role of the Community Services Committee
|Mike Griffiths||David Towers, Denzil Ellis, Brian Lort, Ray Lewis, John Thompson, Emma Wilde and Christopher Perry|
Community Services Committee
Meeting on alternate months 6 times a year - reporting to Club Council each month.
We are anxious to listen to any request for help from any local group with a particular need.
The Health Awareness Day is held on a Saturday each spring in the Memorial Hall. Local community groups and organisations are invited to set up a stall to promote their contribution and to make people aware. It also incorporates a point where blood pressure and cholesterol can be checked. This year, we hope to take the opportunity provided by their involvement with the Health Awareness Day, to encourage co-operation between some of the charities to examine the opportunities that exist to share some of the events that they run with other charities for the benefit of all.
This year, on 30th May, we are fortunate enough to have the ‘Olympic Torch’ being carried through town; so we are planning to help make it memorable.
On the Thursday of summer half-term, we support the Friends of the Derwen at their Summer Fête with 6 side-shows, with the emphasis being on ‘fun’.
We carry out a Street Collection and Supermarket exit collection in June in Oswestry with recent beneficiaries including :- The Whittington Youth Group, The Friends of the Victoria Centre, The Stroke Club, Oswestry Branch of the Shropshire Helping Hand Association, Community First Responders, Llanfyllin Community Shop, Leonard Cheshire Home (Dolywern) and Oswestry & District Mencap.
We support the Friends of the Orthopaedic Hospital at their Summer Fête on the last Saturday of June, through our fund raising side-shows.
This year, from Friday 6th July, the ‘Oslympics’ will be held in Oswestry. On this day an ‘Opening Ceremony’ will be held with a major contribution by the Rotary Club of Oswestry.
The annual ‘Millicent Kaye Art Competition’ will once again be held at the end of June. Open to year 5 and 6 Primary School pupils, the theme will be ‘The Olympics’ and entries will be displayed at the Qube.
Our Rotarians assist on the entrance to the Grandstand at the Oswestry Show in August.
One Sunday between the middle and end of September sees the annual Disabled Games held at Chester, where a group of our members normally oversee the Dart Competition.
In the unfortunate possibility of a serious local disaster our Rotarians volunteer to co-ordinate help to relatives and friends of those involved, should the local professional services be unable to cope. This is a Rotary inspired initiative called ‘Reaction’.
The 2 bench seats up on the Old Racecourse are maintained by this committee.
- Health Awareness and Wellbeing Event - Saturday 20th April 2013
- 2009 Oswestry Christmas Parade
- Oswestry Christmas Parade, Saturday 3rd December
- Health Awareness and Wellbeing Event - Saturday 28th April 2012
- Disabled Games - 18th September 2011
- Orthopaedic Fete, Gobowen - Saturday 25th June
- Millicent Kaye Art Competition Exhibition - QUBE 17th June - 4th July
- Derwen College Fete, Gobowen, Thursday 2nd June
- Rotary District 1180 Disabled Games - Sunday 27th September 2009
- Street Collection - Morrisons & Sainsbury's June 14th & 15th 2013
- Street Collection - Saturday June 22nd 2013
- Derwen College Fete, Gobowen, Thursday 30 May
- Oswestry Christmas Parade, Saturday 1st December
- Orthopaedic Fete, Gobowen - Saturday 30th June
- Street Collection for Rotary Charities - 22nd and 23rd June 2012
- Oswestry Show
- Oslympic Games - Opening Ceremony - Oswestry Leisure Centre - Friday 6th July
- Jubilee Entertainments and Events - Cae Glas - Saturday 2nd June
- Disabled Games - 16th September 2012
- Derwen College Fete, Gobowen, Thursday 31 May
- N Shrops Special Olympics Group W Mids XC 29th October
- Health Awareness and Wellbeing Event - Saturday 9th April
- Street Collection
- Health Awareness and Wellbeing Event
- Oswestry Show