Rotary Club of Lichfield St. Chad - welcome! Please scroll/swipe down through this page to find out more about us, in addition to the pages linked in the menu, top-left.
Welcome to the website of the Rotary Club of Lichfield St Chad. Please explore further to find out more about us and what we do.
For the duration of the Coronavirus Pandemic, we no longer meet at the George Hotel but online using Zoom. Our meetings open at 7.00 pm (finishing at around 8.15) and we usually have a guest speaker on a topic of interest - not always concerned with Rotary!. If you are a visitor to this website, you are most welcome "come along" to a meeting and find out more about us (no obligation!). If so, please send a request via the contact us button to request an invitation and we will send you back the necessary link.
Our Facebook page is a good source of our latest news, and our monthly newsletter St Chad's Chat (published in the first week of each month) is available to read online as a pdf - just look for it under the 'what we do' section of the menu above.
We are one of two clubs in this small but historically interesting cathedral city in Staffordshire and have been serving the community since our Charter in 1980. We are a dedicated, enthusiastic club within the Rotary International movement, which itself is a worldwide network of 1.2 million men and women of all ages and from all occupations who come together to make positive, lasting change in communities at home and abroad while enjoying real fellowship.
Although a small club (currently numbering 23 members) we punch well above our weight, with our main annual events enabling the raising of over £30,000 each year for charities and other good causes.
Our major fundraiser is Rotary Cars in the Park, an annual extravaganza held in Beacon Park every July, which attracts over 1,000 cars and vehicles of every age, shape and size together with their proud owners and an estimated 20,000 interested visitors over the two days of the show. This year (2021) sees the 24th anniversary of the show, which began in 1997 with just 28 cars in a corner of the park! Visit the Rotary Cars in the Park website here.
The Rotary Cathedral to Castle Run is an annual charity event organised jointly between the two clubs of Lichfield and the two clubs of Tamworth, usually in early April. Attracting well over 1,000 runners, it is a multi-terrain run from Beacon Park in Lichfield, with a challenging 10-mile route to Tamworth Castle. At the Castle ground in Tamworth the runners, their families and supporters can also enjoy an action-packed family fun day. Visit the Rotary Cathedral to Castle Run website here.
Of course, it’s not all about raising funds; we enjoy a wide-ranging number of fellowship events too, and apart from an annual celebration of our charter and the usual Christmas get-together we have interesting speakers and presentations at our weekly club meetings, a thriving book club, visits to places of interest, walks, outings to sports events and many more activities. A lot of what we do appears in the local press; have a look at some of our press cuttings here.
We also support an Interact Club at the Friary School, where a group of young people have fun in organising events to raise funds for their chosen charities.
If you wish to learn more about Rotary and what it does locally, nationally and worldwide, there is a wealth of information available if you click here..
How you can get involved with Rotary
Your skills, experience and enthusiasm are the very assets that helps Rotary 'tick' - we welcome ladies and men of all ages and you do not have to be a business person - people from all walks of life have something to offer. There are many ways in which you can help Rotary:
- You could volunteer to help the club in one of its events or initiatives, without becoming a Rotary member - we always welcome Friends of Rotary.
- You could support the club by simply going to or participating in one of our fundraising events.
- You could volunteer to speak at one of our regular Tuesday evening meetings, particularly if you have a special passion or topic you might like to share, or indeed you might be involved in another charity or organisation.
- You could support our Interact Club at the Friary School in Lichfield.
- You could join the club as a member. You can be assured of a very warm welcome to our meetings, just come along to the George Hotel on a Tuesday evening and enjoy the company of like-minded people - we have a full programme of speakers and other interesting activities.
- You could join as a corporate member (with all the benefits of full membership) - just one of our more flexible categories of membership for companies and organisations who actively encourage staff and colleagues to engage with voluntary work, perhaps as an element of their own Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes and initiatives.
Meetings and events happening soon
Tue, Apr 27th 2021 7:00 pm
Guest Speaker: Sue Cooke - ‘Lichfield High Street Then and Now’
Tue, May 4th 2021 7:00 pm
Guest Speaker: Sue Arnold - ‘My time as Deputy PCC Staffordshire’
Tue, May 11th 2021 7:00 pm
Guest Speaker: Gary Began - ‘Ruach Karate’
Tue, May 18th 2021 7:00 pm
Guest Speaker: Trevor James (our very own) - ‘Iffley Road and other important locations’
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.