All walks start and finish at Monmouth Show Ground NP25 4LG. Walks are self guided, following detailed route instructions.
A procedure will be in place at Registration to ensure social distancing.
Start times will be staggered to reduce crowding. Walkers will be asked to respect social distancing during their walk
Route outline…..(Show Ground, Redbrook via old railway line, cross road at Redbrook, riverbank to Show Ground)
This walk follows the old railway line, down river, to Redbrook. Then crosses the main road for a walk along the riverbank to Monmouth Show Ground.
Route outline…..(Monmouth Show Ground, Redbrook old railway line, back lane up to Offa’s Dyke path, Kymin, Wye bridge at Monmouth, Monmouth Show Ground)
This walk takes the little used lane above Wyesham, up from the old railway line to Offa’s Dyke footpath on the ridge. A steepish climb. Then follows Offa’s Dyke footpath to the Kymin viewpoint, before descending down to the River Wye at Monmouth, and a flat path return along the riverbank to Monmouth Show Ground.
PENALLT CHURCH Viewpoint walk - with a distance of 8.5 miles.Route outline….(Monmouth Show Ground, Wyesham, Redbrook via old railway line, cross River Wye to Boat Inn, walk along riverbank towards Monmouth, turn left and take moderately steep path for half mile up to Penalt Church, south to Black Brook, descend towards Redbrook, south again through Youngs Grove, Boat Inn, cross River Wye, flat path along riverbank to Monmouth Show Ground.
Route outline….(Monmouth Show Ground, Redbrook via old railway line, to Bigsweir on English side close to Offas Dyke path, cross river at Bigsweir, Redbrook on Welsh side of river, cross bridge at Redbrook, riverbank to Monmouth Show Ground)
This walk gradually climbs up to the ridge on the English side of the River Wye, above Offa’s Dyke footpath, where it affords good views towards the river and Bigsweir Bridge. The return part of the walk is a flat path along the riverbank from Bigsweir to Monmouth Show Ground
WYE VALLEY VIEW (Northern route) - with a distance of 13 miles.
Route outline….(Monmouth Show Ground, Wye Bridge, Kymin, Upper Redbrook, Buck Stone, Biblings, Monmouth via Hadnock Road, Monmouth Show Ground)
This is a more challenging walk, which includes 2 steep climbs, as it rises to the Kymin and then up to the Buck Stone viewpoints, before descending through the Forest of Dean to the River Wye at The Biblings. The route then continues with a flat path along the riverbank to Monmouth Show Ground.
You will be given written route instructions for your chosen walk, at Registration on the day of the walk.
Maps are not required, however, if you would like to follow your progress on a map, then we recommend that you use Ordnance Survey “Explorer” series map number OL14.
Unfortunately none of the walks are accessible by wheel chair or push chair.
more “Walk The Wye” is a sponsored walking event which is raising funds for charity. Money raised will be split, with 75% going to support breast cancer research at the Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff, and the remaining 25% going to other charities
more I would have had 4 months to live...”
more Please read route details on the "Walk the Wye for Breast Cancer Research" page, before entering. Please enter online by Friday 13th May or no later than May 12th by post.
more Following receipt of your entry, we will send you a Walkers Information Pack by post. The pack will contain your Entry Acknowledgement Letter, a Unique Walker Number, a Wrist Band to be worn on the day of the walk, and a Sponsorship Form
more Please bring protective clothing in case it rains and ensure that dogs are kept on a lead when passing through fields of sheep and cattle.
more Remember mobile phone coverage in the Wye Valley is often poor. Emergency contact number on the day 07748 853 328
more The Velindre breast cancer centre manages an active, extensive and award winning programme of research into a wide variety of cancers.
back Last year's walk was on May 16th 2021 details are in the "related" pages or follow the links below Thank you everyone who participated