The role of Rotary Youth Service is to support, encourage and celebrate the skills and talents of young people in our community. We aim to do this by providing them with opportunities to develop their personal awareness of problems facing the world today, and skills to achieve their own goals, working both individually and in teams.
The main areas supported by North Wirral Rotary are:
- Interact Clubs - These are essentially junior Rotary Clubs for 12-18-year-olds based in schools or other youth organisations, where they work together in teams to achieve specific goals or raise money for charities which they themselves decide. We are also seeking to establish RotaKids clubs for younger children in primary schools.
- Rotary Youth Competitions - A wide range of competitions are organised each year at local, district and national levels, and we are always looking for talented young people to sponsor. The ones that North Wirral Rotary have been involved in recently are Youth Speaks, Technology Tournaments, Young Musician and Young Chef, but many more are available including Young Writer, Young Photographer and even Young Golfer and Young Magician! While most of these are intended for individuals, Youth Speaks and the Technology Tournament involve teams of three or four (respectively).
- Youth Opportunities - Each summer Rotary organises a week away at the Arthog activity centre in North Wales where selected young people can further develop their teamworking and leadership skills. North Wirral Club will pay the fees of any candidates we put forward for these Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA). Rotary Youth Exchange programmes enable young people aged 15-25 to go abroad for various lengths of time, to experience other cultures and take part in different activities in support of international understanding.
- Financial and/or Practical Support - We invite applications for sponsorship from youth organisations or individual local youngsters who are planning to undertake expeditions or voluntary work which will be of benefit to themselves and/or to others. A list of criteria to be met by applicants can be downloaded here.
- Mock Interviews - With club members from many different occupations and most having experience of staff recruitment, we are able to offer mock interviews to young people who are about to face the world of employment or are just keen to improve their CV's or confidence in interview situations.