International Committee deals with the Club's charitable aims overseas.
There are six areas of focus for International projects:
· Peace and conflict prevention/resolution
· Disease prevention and treatment
· Water and sanitation
· Maternal and child health
· Basic education and literacy
· Economic and community development
Through this committee Rotarians help in various ways:
· By providing financial support to existing international projects for developing countries. In recent years we have given donations to the following:
Mercy Ships Providing medical care
Sand Dams Providing clean water and water for irrigation
Toilet Twinning Funding safe sanitation for rural communities in Africa and Asia
· We have initiated two projects in Uganda:
To provide clean water and sanitation to rural communities in the Masaka region, improving the lot of 7000 people.
To advise on waste handling and recycling in the city of Masaka.
By contributing to ‘Lend with Care’ we help to provide micro finance to entrepreneurs in the developing world.
We have regularly given financial support to Shelterbox, which provides emergency aid to disaster-stricken areas.
Since the 1970s our club has been twinned with the La Rochelle Aunis Rotary Club in France and we have fellowship visits every year, alternating between La Rochelle and Falmouth and staying in the homes of fellow Rotarians.
To raise funds for international projects and for other club projects the international committee regularly organises events such as wine tasting evenings, race nights and quizzes.