Beer Notes September 2017
Here are the Brewery Beer notes for the Beers we are showing at this year's festival
BEER TASTING NOTES
1. Autumn Leaves - 4.30% Upham Brewery
Aroma - sweet malt and hops. Colour - ruby red. Flavour - soft, brewed with oats for a soft body.
2. Silent Stones– 4.7% Drop The Anchor Brewery
This traditional Indian amber ale is a well-balanced and big flavoured Ale, rich with malty complexity, flavours packed
with Fuggle and cascade hops and tinged with the sweetness of crystal malts. Unfined and naturally hazy.
3. Isle of Purbeck IPA – 4.8% Isle of Purbeck Brewery
A premium India Pale style beer, golden-amber in colour with an abundant spicy and floral hop aroma.
Maris Otter malt ensures a balance of full, smooth malt flavours and a lasting finish.
4. Limelight - 4.50% Broken Bridge Brewery
A New Zealand Pale Ale with fresh lime zest used to complement the 2017 harvest Motueka hops. Deep zesty lime
marmalade flavours and aromas with a biscuity malt backbone and a refreshing crisp finish.
5. Palmerstone’s Folly - 5.00% Suthwyk Ales
A SUTHWYK wheat and barley beer, using Saaz and Styrian Goldings hops. Although it has 40% wheat in the malt, it is a clear wheaty beer with a dryness that you would expect and a hint of honey in the after taste
6. Perridge Pale - 3.60% Flower Pots Brewery
A light straw colour, brewed with barley and wheat malts. A very refreshing beer with a good smack of citrus hops and a perfect clean finish. Hampshire Beer of the Year 2015.
7. Pommy Blonde - 4.30% Botley Brewery
An amber blonde beer brewed using the popular choice of cascade giving this beer a subtler flavour.
8. Pony - 4.00% Dancing Cows Brewery
A traditional amber ale with rounded fruit flavours, summer currant notes and a warm backing of malt.
9. Scratch - 4.00% Red Cat Brewing Co.
A golden in colour with a delicate fruity aroma and hints of ripe apricots. it's a very clean, refreshing bitter and easy drinking, but more body than is usually expected from a 4% beer.
10. Meon Valley Bitter - 3.9% Bowman Ales
A lovely ruby, malty ale with hoppy overtones.
11. Baby Faced Assassin – 6.1% Roosters Brewery
Brewed with 100% Citra hops that create aromas of mango, apricot, grapefruit & mandarin orange, along with a lasting, juicy tropical fruit bitterness, this is a deceptively quaffable India Pale Ale that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
12. Bamboozle – 4.8% Loddon Brewery
A straw coloured pale ale with a pure malty body and a smack of refreshing hops.
13. Bank Top Blonde – 5.0% Bank Top Brewery
An extremely pale ale made with New Zealand hops resulting in a pleasant woody flavour and a distinct berry aroma.
14. Bearly Literate – 4.5% Beartown Brewery
A golden pale ale offering crisp hoppy flavours with a smooth malty finish. Dry hopped for a fuller flavour.
15. Boltmakers Best Bitter – 4.0% Taylors Brewery
A well balanced, genuine Yorkshire bitter with a full measure of maltiness and hoppy aroma. Rebranded at October 2012 from Best Bitter to Boltmaker's. Winner of the Camra Champion Beer of Great Britain 2014.
16. Brickworks Bitter – 4.2% Binghams Brewery
A malty bitter which is chestnut in colour with a slightly nutty hint. Hops balance the maltiness to provide a well-rounded best bitter.
17. Bridgehouse Blonde – 4.0% Bridge House Brewery
A modern blonde coloured ale with big traditional flavours from a blend of four hops and two malts that result in an exciting mix of spicy floral flavours balanced by bitterness.
18. Cosmic – 4.2% Black Hole (BHB)
An amber coloured beer based on a combination of Halcyon Pale and Crystal Wheat malts. Goldings and Northdown hops provide a rounded bitterness with a fruity character.
19. Crown & Glory – 4.6% Cheddar Ales Brewery
Medium bodied with a hint of sweetness give the hops a nice balance that also allow the malt flavours to shine through.
20. Devonshire Pale Ale – 4.5% Black Tor Brewery
DPA. Refreshing and easy drinking light golden ale with balanced bitterness and a hoppy aromatic punch, finishing with hints of citrus and grapefruit.
21. Elephant School Aussie Blonde – 4.0% Brentwood Brewery
A golden mild brewed with coriander.
22. Fall Over – 4.5% Old Mill Brewery
A russet coloured, full malty quaffing ale with a smooth, mellow character.
23. Farmers Pale – 5.0% Bradfield Brewery
A distinctive fruity pale ale, well balanced with a powerful floral bouquet, full-bodied and predominantly dry aftertaste.
24. Festival Ale – 5.5% Burton Bridge Brewery
A strong bitter, slightly darker than Bridge Bitter, with a fruity barley wine flavour and a bitter after palate.
25. Flowers in the Rain – 4.3% Elgoods Brewery
Pale gold premium beer.
26. Franc in Stein – 4.3% Flipside Brewery
A very quaffable ale bringing together the finest French and German hops. It has strong floral flavours with hints of lemongrass and Earl Grey tea.
27. Freak Show – 4.5% Great Orme
This refreshing light golden ale is brewed using citrus hops for an intense fruity flavour.
28. Full Whack – 6.0% Peerless Brewery
A strong pale ale. The high level of alcohol is complemented by increased bitterness and the fruity hop finish is derived from a combination of Fuggles and First Gold hops.
29. Funny Farm – 4.0% Blindmans Brewery
Pale gold/straw coloured ale, with a crisp hoppy taste & aroma. Originally brewed as a spring seasonal, but proved popular so is now produced on a regular basis.
30. Glasyn Ale – 4.2% Purple Moose Brewery
"Cwrw Glaslyn" - A golden coloured best bitter with a perfect balance of malt flavour and a floral hop aroma.
31. Gobble – 4.5% Great Oakley Brewery
A straw-coloured beer with a large smack of hops at the end giving a fantastic mouth feel.
32. Gold – 4.3% Skye Brewery
Brewed with porridge oats, which provide a beer of exceptional smoothness, with a deep and creamy head. Challenger hops provide it with a light aroma and a good 'bite' of bitterness.
33. Golden Salamander Salamander Brewery
A golden coloured premium ale. Brewed with Challenger and Styrian Goldings hops this beer has an assertive hop bitterness.
34. Hop a Doodle Do – 4.3% Brewsters Brewery
A copper coloured ale, brewed with four malts and three hops. It has a full bodied feel and a delicious fruity hop character.
35. Indian Pale Ale – 5.0% Knops Brewery
A light golden coloured traditional IPA with a contemporary twist. Bitterness and aroma from American hops balanced by a British malt backbone.
36. Its Phils Ale – 4.8% Exe Valley Brewery
A deep golden beer brewed with Devon malt and hop flavours from Cluster, Magnum, Bobke, Challenger and Citra hops
37. Jack Cade – 4.5% 1648’ Brewery
A malty, chestnut coloured beer with a beautifully subtle tangerine aroma.
38. Jack the Devil – 4.5% Cullercoats Brewery
Award winning, delicious and rich: chestnut coloured ale made from Maris Otter barley, and the finest English aromatic hops. Perfect balance of malty nuttiness and a fresh hoppy aroma.”
39.Jenny Jigs Extra Pale Ale – 4.4% Ayr Brewery
An extra pale beer bursting with lots of tropical fruit flavours with a hint of watermelon.
40. Karma Citra – 4.4% Elland Brewery
Pale in colour, made with Citra hops to deliver a full citrus flavour and a long lingering citrus aftertaste. A beer which will bring a peaceful balance for those in need of recharging.
41. King Neptune – 4.3% Bosuns Brewery
A blonde summer ale.
42. Lady Catherine – 4.5% Grafton Brewery
A sophisticated lady with a bitter sweet aftertaste.
43. Lia Fail – 4.7% Inveralmond Brewery
A dark, robust, full bodied beer with a deep malty taste, smooth texture and hoppy aroma. Challenger, Fuggles and Cascade hops produce a rich and spicy aroma with a balanced bitterness and full-bodied flavour.
44. Mi’ Lady’s Fancy – 4.6% Shugborough Brewery
a golden beer, delicately hopped yet full bodied. An English pale ale, with zesty lemon and lime, sweeter citrus and a pithy malt bitterness. There is a light floral edge, particularly on the nose.
45. Nobleman Golden Ale – 4.2% Redcastle Brewery
Golden caramel with hints of citrus.
46. Norwegian Blue – 4.9% Buffys Brewery
A copper brown beer with a malt aroma and a hint of cherry. Malty and rich but never cloying, an old fashioned bitter.
47. Off the Chart – 5.0% High Weald Brewery
A powerfully hopped, American-style session IPA. Big, juicy hop flavours with a bold tropical-fruit aroma.
48. Old Bushy Tail - 4.5% Bushys Brewery
An appealing reddish brown beer with a pronounced hop and malt aroma, the malt tending towards treacle. Slightly sweet and malty on the palate, with distinct orangey tones. The full finish is malty and hoppy a hint of toffee.
49. Old Man – 4.3% Long Man Brewery
This original dark beer has soft malt notes of coffee and chocolate that combine with a pleasant light hoppiness to create a rich, full tasting Old Ale of times gone by.
50. Pale Ale – 4.7% Swannay Brewery
51. Panda Frog Panarillo – 4.2% Mordue Brewery
A session pale ale featuring Amarillo and Citra hops
52. Piggin Saint – 4.2% Potbelly Brewery
Golden, Gluten free, still brewed, almost dry American Pale ale style beer
53. Postlethwaites – 4.6% Coach House Brewery
A golden coloured beer named after the Warrington actor.
54. Pricky Back Otchan – 4.2% Great Newsome Brewery
Amber coloured ale, with a slight citrus bitterness. Pricky back otchan is an old Yorkshire word for a hedgehog.
55. Prohibition – 4.8% Kent Brewery
Highly hopped, citrusy American pale ale.
56. Punch in the Face – 4.8% Totally Brewed Brewery
Packed full of American hops that pack a wallop!
57. Real Blonde – 4.0% Pennine Brewery
This award-winning ale uses a hop back to create an extremely well balanced beer, filled with the taste of fruit, together with a complementary slight bitterness. Its bright, golden appearance is combined with a ‘nose’ of oranges and hops.
58. Resurrection EPA – 4.4% Franklins Brewery
American style oatmeal pale full of big hitting tropical hop flavours. Refreshingly bitter, with Amarillo, Galaxy, Centennial and Citra providing a fruity aroma. The strength was increased from 4.2% to 4.4% during Summer 2017.
59. Rising Sun -4.8% Green Jack Brewery
A pale refreshing hoppy beer with zesty fruit aromas, sweetness and malt in the finish. The strength was reduced from 5.0% to 4.8% during 2015.
60. Saltaire Blonde – 4.0% Saltaire Brewery
A refreshing blonde ale infused with the delicate flavour of elderflower.
61. Seven Peaks IPA – 4.5% Drygate Brewery
A Mosaic hop IPA with bold and incredibly complex hop aromatics and a crisp dry malt backbone.
62. Sniper – 4.6% Mr Grundy’s Brewery
Amber coloured smooth refreshing bitter with a hint of toffee and a satisfying malty aroma.
63. Stag – 6.0% Quantock Brewery
A full bodied, malty, strong ale brewed in the traditional English IPA style with Fuggles and Goldings hops with an aroma of bananas and toffee.
64. Stray Dog – 4.2% Moorhouses Brewery
A collaboration with the band New Order, Stray Dog is brewed with three American hop varieties for hints of citrus fruit and lychee, all balanced by a subtle bitterness.
65. Stud Blonde – 4.3% Hambleton Brewery
A wonderfully smooth drinking, straw coloured beer. Aroma hops give a delicacy and subtlety to the robust full bodied flavour.
66. Suffolk Pride – 4.8% Mauldons Brewery
A light coloured, full-bodied premium bitter, with a powerful bouquet of hops and a dry fruity finish.
67. Vital Spark – 4.4% Fyne Ales
A very dark ale, almost black with a reddish glow – A full bodied ale which is rich in taste with a dry finish.
68. Wild Cat – 4.4% Exmoor Brewery
A warming brown beer, this is a single-hopped ale, with Fuggles providing deep booming earthy hop notes on the nose. Malt is the king on the palate with hints of autumn berries, chocolate, toffee and caramel ruling the roost, until the long dry finish, which also has a subtle restrained fruitiness.
69. Wolf – 5.5% Allendale Brewery
A beautiful red coloured, full bodied beer. With bitterness coming from Challenger hops and a fruity blackcurrant aroma coming from Williamette hops. At 5.5% abv. this really is beer with bite!
70. Yankee – 4.3% Roosters Brewery
Light and easy drinking, Yankee is a modern classic that showcases the floral and citrus fruit aromas of the Cascade hop, projected against a back drop of soft Yorkshire water and golden promise pale malt.
71. Zombies of the Stratosphere – 4.8% Kelham Island Brewery
Pale golden ale with an interesting blend of internationally sourced hops to give a refreshing crisp light flavour.