Rotary Club of Hungerford
Home | Twinning
Our club twinned with the Rotary Club of Fontaine L’Eveque, near Charleroi in Belgium in 1999.
Since then we have had reciprocal visits bi-annually and although there have been some language difficulties we have had some excellent times together and seen different aspects of each other's countries. In addition some wonderful new friendships have been forged.
Record of Twinning Visits
May 1999 – (England)
1. First visit of Belgian’s - all stayed in member’s houses
2. Afternoon tea at the Tutti Pole
3. Murder Mystery Evening at St Cassian’s in Kintbury
4. Coach to Windsor Castle for tour and lunch
5. Function at the Bear – exchange of banners and scroll
2001 or 2002? (Fontaine L’Eveque)
1. Dinner at Le Bergerac – all stayed in member’s houses
2. Tour of Waterloo battle site and museum
3. Boat ride on canal to Strepy-Thieu the tallest mechanical boat lift in Europe
4. Dinner in a local restaurant
5. Tour of Mining museum
31 Oct 2004 (London)
1. Travelled in coach to Earl’s Court hotel – met Belgian’s
2. Coach tour of Central London
3. Lunch at “Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese” (oldest pub in London)
4. Walk around Covent Garden
27-29 Oct 2006 (Ostend)
1. Travelled across on Friday and did own thing that night
2. Met up with Belgian Club
3. Tour of city with English guide
4. Lunch in Thermae Palace seafront hotel
5. Visit to the Japanese Garden and then Mercator (old ship)
6. Farewell drinks
7. Sunday morning riding bicycles meant for 10 on promenade!
3-5 Oct 2008 (England)
1. Historical walk around Hungerford
2. Safari Supper
3. Coach to Bath + guided tour
4. English Pub lunch
5. Tour of Roman Baths (audio guides)
6. Function at The Bear
27-29 May 2011(Belgium)
1. Dinner at Le Bergerac with Fontaine L’Eveque + drummers
2. Visit to Photographic Museum
3. Lunch & tour at distillery Eau de Ville
4. Visit to Abbey (late so just relaxed)
5. Coach to 20th Anniversary celebrations at La Roseraie – jazz group, singers, dancing, champagne until 1.30 am
Follow this link for the photo gallery of this visit.
17-19 May 2013 (England) [7 couples from Belgium]
1. Lunch at "The Plume"
2. Guided walk around Hungerford by Rtn Hugh Pihlens
3. BBQ and hog roast (by Rtn James Weir) in the gardens of Great Grooms, by kind permission of Rtn James & Susie Podger
4. Visit to Oxford - guided walks, lunch at "The Turf" and punting on the river Cherwell
5. Dinner at "The Palm" restaurant.
Follow this link for more information and photo gallery of this visit
Follow this link to visit the website of the Fontaine L'Eveque club.