2018/19 Weekly Meetings
Brief notes on our weekly meetings
2018/19 - Brief reports on our Meetings (and sometimes the menu)
The New Aircraft Carriers
More than 80 Club members plus guests, including Rotarians from four other local clubs, sat down to supper followed by a most informative and indeed fascinating Presentation by the Senior Warfare Officer of Britain's latest and largest warship, HMS PRINCE OF WALES.
This was followed by a lively and very active Q&A session.
· Fine attendance of 22 members
· That means 29 members missed a fantastic tale by Brian Steer. Memorably introduced by Tom as being mentally unstable Brian proceeded to tell us of his rescue of a 15 year old “jumper” from the roof of a store on North Bridge, Edinburgh whilst only 12 weeks into the job. Little did Tom know that Brian would prove how mentally unstable he was to go out on a ledge 100 feet above the street. The faded newspaper cuttings were a great touch. The members tasked with telling tales in the coming months are quaking at the thought of follow that. Russell Matthews gave the vote of thanks.
· New menu item this week spaghetti bolognese with garlic ciabatta
· Subscriptions were due 1st July
· Next week is the biggie – Lt-Cmdr Moss-Ward on the carrier and Defence generally. This should be a cracking meeting as we expect at least 55 with West Fife cancelling their meeting in order to join us with some Carnegie members and other guests coming too. If you have not already indicated to Tom that you are coming (+ guest?) please do so now. You will appreciate that we need to give the hotel an accurate number in advance. Hosting is David Fraser and vote of thanks is Keith McFarlane. Reception is Alex Mill & Ano’r
· John Anderson had a suitable topical grace to reflect this
· No guests but 24 members attended
· The Council’s written complaint to Garvock re price rise, timekeeping at lunchtime, poor menu and coffee was read out
· Tom supported by a number of members gave a concise but detailed presentation of the plans for the year using the attached presentation.(Contact Bill Spence if you would like a copy) If you were not able to attend this is well worth considering in order to see the shape of the very full year ahead.
· Next week’s meeting is the first Member’s Tales given by Brian Steer. Hosting is Charlie, vote of thanks Russell and reception Noel and David Fraser