Youth Speaks, 1st District semi Final, 2016
Held at Ruxley Church Surrey on 3 February 2016.
The District Semi final of the Youth Speaks competition was held at Ruxley Church Surrey on 3 February 2016. This competition round was organised by Rotarian Mike Danson of Guildford Chantries Rotary and hosted by Rotary Club of Ewell and forms part of a national competition. This consisted of ten entrants sponsored by the Rotary clubs of Hounslow. Woking District, Aldershot, Shepperton Aurora and Surbiton Kingston and New Malden.
The competition is open to all students in full-time education between ages 11 and 17 and the aim is to encourage young people to
• experience in speaking on a public platform as a member of a team
• an incentive to formulate ideas on topical subjects
• discipline in dealing with a topic in a limited time
• the opportunity of learning and practising high standards of expression, presentation and appearance
• impartial feedback and assessment of performance by experienced adjudicators
The students had to present an argument with three members in each team for a total of twelve minutes.
The winners of the competition were in the intermediate level Hinchley Wood School and second Bishop Wand School. The Senior level winners were Lady Eleanor Holles School and in second place Sunbury Manor School.