Youth Speaks, 2nd District semi Final, 2016
Held at Bushey Hill School, Guildford, Surrey on 11th February 2016.
The District Semi final of the Youth Speaks competition was held at Bushey Hill School, Guildford, Surrey on 11th February 2016. This competition round was organised and hosted by Rotarian Mike Danson of Guildford Chantries Rotary and forms part of a national competition. This consisted of 6 entrants sponsored by the Rotary clubs of Guildford, Farnham & Farnham Weyside, Cranleigh, Haslemere, and Fleet.
The competition is open to all students in full-time education between ages 11 and 17 and the aim is to encourage young people to
• experience in speaking on a public platform as a member of a team
• an incentive to formulate ideas on topical subjects
• discipline in dealing with a topic in a limited time
• the opportunity of learning and practising high standards of expression, presentation and appearance
• impartial feedback and assessment of performance by experienced adjudicators
The students had to present an argument with three members in each team for a total of twelve minutes.
The winner of the competition in the Senior level was St Peter’s School, Guildford. The best speaker was Lucy Bayliss, best Chairman Olivia Rooke and the best vote of thanks was Joe Hettrick.