Welcome to Wensleydale Rotary Club's website! UNFORTUNATELY, MEETINGS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC. Members are meeting on Zoom.
YOUNG WRITER 2020/21
This is a national writing competition for young people, sponsored by Rotary to add value to the literacy curriculum in schools and colleges.details
Wensleydale Rotary held a Charity Auction to help compensate for having to cancel major fundraising events due to Covid-19details
JAMES HERRIOT COUNTRY TRAIL RUN 26th July 2020 CANCELLED
Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, we have had to cancel the Herriot Run for 2020. Hopefully, this will be run in 2021, probably on Sunday 25th July.details
Rotary helps Chopsticks Charity
Rotarians from several clubs in North Yorkshire helped at the charity Chopsticks to pack bags of kindlingdetails
THE WENSLEYDALE WANDER 2021 is provisionally being organised for 10th April 2021. The situation with Covid-19 at the time will determine what changes might be needed to make everyone safe, even if it is allowed to take place. Please check this website.details
NB 19/3/20 All pre-arraged meetings have been suspended until further notice, in view of the Covid-19 risks. Meantime, Members are meeting on Zoom.
Our members come from a variety of backgrounds, including farming, banking, business, education, and health. All enjoy the fun and friendship that Rotary offers, while also helping their own communities and those farther afield. To learn more about what we do, please explore this site and click on the links on "What we do". If you wish to know more about Rotary International, click on About Rotary. INTERESTED IN JOINING ROTARY? Please use the Contact Form in the menu at the top. We will then invite you to attend a meeting as a guest, with no commitment! If you have just moved into the Dale, you will find a ready-made group of friends who will help you settle into the community.
If you are a Rotarian visiting Wensleydale, you will be very welcome at one of our weekly meetings- please check the "Meeting Information" section on this website, or contact us through the Contact Form
This website short address is www.wensleydale.rotary1040.org .
Our registered Charity Fund number is 1046181
Some of our activities and achievements over the year
• Supported the Rotary International Stop Polio campaign with fundraising events.
• Donated to Action Aid, Shelter and Syrian refugees.
• Donated to Nepalese Goat project.
• Donated to a charity funding computers to remote Nepalese schools.
• Supported the national Kidsout Day. It’s when Rotarians across the country take disadvantaged kids for a fun day out. Whether they live with critical health issues, in refuge, with a disability or facing a tough domestic situation, are taken on a fun day out to the zoo, a theme park or even the seaside, often for the first time in their lives. Over 500 children were taken to Lightwater Valley for the day, accompanied by Rotarians across Yorkshire.
Regional / Local community
• Organised the annual Wensleydale wander where funds raised benefit local good causes.
• Organised the annual James Herriot Country Trail Run which raises money for Rotary charities
• Annual Technology Tournament, this year hosted at Catterick Garrison. The object of the tournament is to give children aged 12 – 18 an unseen Design and Technology problem to be completed in a fixed time.
• Sponsored a student from Wensleydale School to attend RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Award) where for a week they participate in team building programmes to build confidence, motivation and leadership skills
• Support Children attending Kings Club during the summer holidays.
• Ran a Stroke Awareness tent at the Wensleydale Show.
• Pay and transport a carer in the region for a week’s holiday in Scarborough.
• Give local schoolchildren a Dictionary for life, to aid literacy.
• School Bursary. We were able to support 19 children in the area to attend courses and residential trips.
Interschool Challenge, a small sum of money to each Primary School in the Dale and challenges them to increase it by whatever means for charity. This year the children have chosen Cancer Research UK
Our Facebook page ran a Twelve Myth days of Christmas campaign to bust all the myths surrounding Rotary.
We also had lots of fun with quiz nights, lawn bowls, quoits, visiting other Rotary clubs in the area, dominoes and a pancake evening.
President of Rotary International Club Citation presented to Wensleydale Rotary. This is awarded to clubs in recognition of making an especially positive difference in our communities.
A further Citation with Silver Distinction was awarded in December 2019
Meetings and events happening soon
Mon, Nov 2nd 2020 7:00 pm
ZOOM Meeting - Business
Mon, Nov 9th 2020 7:00 pm
ZOOM Meeting- David Spashett Quiz
Mon, Nov 16th 2020 7:00 pm
ZOOM Meeting- Mike Wood?
Mon, Nov 23rd 2020 7:00 pm
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.